DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[OB] Troubleshooting Blender v2.49b export errors

KWITS

Good Day,

I use Blender v2.49b for all modelling and texturing in support of TESIV Oblivion. I am developing a new plug-in called, "Word and Void" or WaV. When modifying a vanilla model in Blender by changing some of its texturing attributes by building a new UV Image, I am running into a consistent error when attempting to export the modified image back to NIF format. Here is the error:

Blender NIF Scripts 2.5.7 (running on Blender 249, PyFFI 2.1.10)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Blender\X-Blender_2.49b_rev8\Bin\Blender\.blender\scripts\bpymodules

nif_common.py", line 1229, in gui_button_event

self.gui_exit()

File "C:\Blender\X-Blender_2.49b_rev8\Bin\Blender\.blender\scripts\bpymodules

nif_common.py", line 1589, in gui_exit

self.callback(**self.config)

File "C:\Blender\X-Blender_2.49b_rev8\Bin\Blender\.blender\scripts\export\exp

rt_nif.py", line 4547, in config_callback

exporter = NifExport(**config)

rt_nif.py", line 407, in __init__

root_block, root_object.getName())

rt_nif.py", line 1162, in export_node

self.export_children(ob, node)

rt_nif.py", line 3125, in export_children

parent_block, ob_child.getName())

rt_nif.py", line 1088, in export_node

self.export_tri_shapes(ob, space, parent_block, node_name)

rt_nif.py", line 2115, in export_tri_shapes

mesh.activeUVLayer = uvlayer

ValueError: layer name does not exist

Any ideas on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

KWITS

Developer for the Word and Void project, a fully OBSE v0020 compliant original plug-in for Oblivion.

If you replace a UV map with another one, you need to change the texture associated with the material. You should have a texture of type Image. Press F6 and in the Image panel, change the path and filename to point to your texture. This is just a guess as to what the issue is based on the last error message. Let me know if that worked.

Thanks Vince for your help but I have already done this. I have two different textures selected and when I try to export I am under edit mode with a texture selected under UVImage. I am still receiving the layer name error.

AFAIK you can only associate one material with one mesh and (best I remember) one texture with one mesh. If you specify a .dds file and you have a similarly named normal map file ("..._n.dds") in the same folder, it will be used by the .nif. You said you were using .tga files. Are you modding Oblivion or Morrowind?

Thanks for the tip but even under object mode, I am receiving the same errors. I have run into this error before and just gave up but this time, I want to be more stubborn than the problem. I am a firm believer of cause and effect.

If you want to be stubborn about it, do the following:

1) Import some mesh from a .nif file. Don't change anything, but verify that you can export it.

2) 'Same as 1) except, change the texture. Just the texture, without re-UV mapping it.

3) 'Same as 2) except re-UV map it.

4) And so forth.

That is, start with something you are confident will work. Then, step by step move toward the current issue until you find a problem.

Good luck!

Edited by Vince

I finally resolved my layer name issue. Since I was using 2 texture images under UV, I needed to specify a unique name for each under Texture and configure the Map To options correctly. The layer name error was misleading.