DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Motherboard Options

I`m in the market for a new motherboard and would appreciate a bit of feedback. I`ve got my cpu and memory sorted so I need a compatible motherboard. I was recommended this Gigabyte board but it features Crossfire capability which is something I`ll never use so why pay for something extra that you dont need ?

Anyhow, all suggestions appreciated :)

Without knowning too much about what you have or planning for gfx other than you won't be using crossfire, I hazarded a guess that you are running Nvidia and might go with SLI in the future maybe. So here's one I would recommend.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77, 2400MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, WiFi-N, SLI/CrossFireXItem#: A455-2036 | Model#: P8Z77-V Pro

Edited by Arion

My humble opinion... stay away from Gigabyte.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. There's a couple of brands I'll avoid at all costs, MSI being the other one. Asus and Intel are more expensive, but much less hassle in the long run.

Edit: written without reading the next post! Not trying to be clever, I've just had trouble with both brands and after reading up about it, realised I should've done so before buying...

Edited by vometia

Asus motherboards are great. Heres the order from basic to intermediate (<200$). Here at Newegg for the prices.

P8Z77-M (uATX)

P8Z77-V-LX

P8Z77-V-LK

P8Z77-M-Pro (uATX)

P8Z77-LE

P8Z77-LE Plus

P8Z77-V

P8Z77-I Deluxe (mITX)

If you want a full board, you can forget about the M, M Pro and I Deluxe. The LEs and V have advanced options that you wouldn't use anyway or rarely. So that leaves you with the LX or LK. The only difference being the LK gives you the opportunity of full SLI in the future, better audio, 2 additional USB3. All this for the same price as the LX, or 10$ less on newegg at the moment.

I never owned a Gigabyte board, but i hear good things from the GA-Z77X-UD3H. It might be a little more expansive, but it has a cool feature, a mSATA slot.

In the end, its really up to you. How much you want to pay. Compare the brands and make a decision.

Sent you an email this morning with a listing of all the ASUS motherboards sorted from lowest to highest price. Its a mixture of ATX and mATX boards so you can see what is available and the features. Then you can contact your supplier and order what you prefer.

I also like Asus boards. As for sound, I highly recommend using a discrete card. I had no end of troubles using the onboard audio.

I've heard the same, though I seem to recall that Creative's support for Unix is quite poor these days, so they're only worth looking at for a Windows-only installation. Admittedly I'm a bit behind the times, so things may have changed.