DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Getting two objects to seam correctly

jamochawoke

Currently I have having trouble matching an upper body mesh I made to the default Oblivion head.

It's actually quite frustrating!

I have tried a few different tactics... I increased the size of the Oblivion head neck area to go around my upper body neck area and then used the shrinkwrap modifier (in Blender) on it so that it fit snugly around the neck area. I then tried to match up the vertices... one by one... until they were exactly in the same place on both meshes.

I then exported and there's noticable gaps in the model in-game.

I then tried a different tactic and tried to simply merge the meshes, merge the vertices and then delete the upper head but there's still something going wrong when I move the model around in pose mode the seam opens up again even though the weighting shouldn't be off (both sides of the seam are weighted to the same neck bone)?

Edited by jamochawoke

The problem you're facing is that the vertices that you are matching up location wise do not have the same bone rigging as the other ones...so when effected by animations they move differently causing seams.

My technique for this was to also open up the model I had to match up with, in your case the head. Delete any of the vertices you made to match up with the head, then merge the head mesh to your body mesh. Delete all the head vertices except the ones that are at the seam. Then join up the ones at the same to your body model. This way the vertices at the same are rigged the same and they'll same together. Just don't move or re-rig any of the seam vertices, simply join faces up to them.