DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Animation Kinematics

jamochawoke

Hi guys I have a problem with the kinematics of one of my rigs (the one I mentioned in the Smooth Serpentine rig thread).

For some reason when I initially created the altered Bethesda armature to have a multi-segmented neck everything worked perfectly when I hit the Auto-IK button and would grab the head to make animations. I ran into a problem later on though when I stretched some of the bones of the skeleton out to make a digitigrade leg system and then created a model for the legs. When I parented the legs to the rig it stretched the model out as well.

So I saved the skeleton separately and re-imported it then I parented all the models back to the skeleton. This worked fine and all the models were parented correctly this time to the armature... however the IK chain of the neck I was working on I'm guessing somehow got broken.

If I rotate any of the bones in the armature the child bones follow the rotation as usual. But when I click Auto-IK and grab a bone (like say the head) it doesn't do the Kinematic animation like it used to and the head bone just moves around completely independent of the rest of the armature whereas before when I did this it would do an Automatic Inverse Kinematic calculation of the parented bones and rotate them all accordingly to where the head bone was being grabbed to. An amazing time saver.

I don't know what I did wrong and it's extremely frustating as many of my animations for this monster I really need to use the Auto-IK function or at least something similar (I have no idea how to set up manual constraints in an already existing armature).

Any help?