DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

UV Problems

Phaedra

Hi, everyone! I was hoping that someone could help me with a little problem...

I learned how to use Wings3D and NifSkope from Vince's HMTK and Wings3D for Oblivion. Everything used to work perfectly. Now I've got some problems.

This is a stick of butter that I made using Wings3D. I exported it as .3ds and imported them into NifSkope. The plate is fine, but the butter has funny shading along the edges. If I export it from Wings3D as .obj, there is a worse problem. The UV is completely scrambled! Is there a way to get the exporting/importing to work correctly like it used to? Or should I try picking up Blender again?

ButterProblem.jpg

Hi Phaedra,

It is a smoothing problem with the normals. As you know, although Wings3D has made quite a bit of progress, the documentation has not kept up. I would definitely recommend that you switch to Blender. The user base is much, much larger and, overall, it's a much more powerful program.

For the time being, you would need to use Blender 2.49b as there is no .Nif exporter for 2.6x yet.

Because of the large user base, there is a lot of documantation available, plus countless tutorials. Two good, free .pdf books are:

The Blender 2.4x manual, see http://wiki.blender..../Doc:2.4/Manual

and the CD Schools Blender Basics book, see http://www.cdschools.org/Page/455

For information specific to creating content for Oblivion, you may find my Blender2Oblivion tutorials helpful, see http://tesalliance.o...ivion-–-part-1/

Relative to your specific problem, if you have your stick of butter in Blender and set the mesh to Smooth, you should see the dark artifacts like the ones you show from your .Nif file. Add the EdgeSplit modifier and set the angle to something like 50 degrees for a start. Just remember that you must Apply the modifier before you export, otherwise the EdgeSplit fix will be lost.

Good luck and it's nice to hear from you again. I hope you will drop by more often.

Vince

Thanks for the replies!

Hi, Vince! Its nice to see you again. I didn't know you made a Blender tutorial. Your writings are always very clear and easyrto follow. Thanks for the Blender tips and links. Looks like it is time to get studying again. Getting more familiar with Blender will do me some good. I will make sure to come here more often. Been modding a lot lately, I'd like to share what I've been working on.

Edited by Phaedra