DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Anybody Here Played the Witcher 2?

Vince

A few weeks ago I ran across a post inviting experienced modders to apply to be Beta Testers for their REDkit for the Witcher 2. The REDkit is their modding tool, like the CS or CK. On a lark I applied, listing my mods, experience etc., figuring if I won, I'd buy the game.

Today I was notified that I was selected. I'd like to know a few things before I buy it. As I understand it, it is DRM free and if I buy the DVD-ROM from Amazon, I won't have to sigh up with STEAM. Is that correct?

You get the game sign up to their forums, and log in through there... haven't played it much but there was no steam involved. I have the game and they've done incredible work. They put quality above quantity... their first patch redid the tutorial section because it was too hard. No real bugs were fixed. I'd also suggest reading The Last Wish so you can get a feel for the story.

I've played it, and yes, the DRM-free claim is correct. Although that's only true for an updated copy. The original copies (the one I bought) has DRM on it, but it's not Steam. It's their own thing that Atari made them attach at first. They had that stripped during one of the first major patch updates - and nearly got themselves sued over it.

I would expect the enhanced versions on sale now to be entirely DRM free. Buy retail obviously, because if you get it on Steam, Valve will force you to use the Steam client anyway.

It's an excellent game. Well worth the money. CD Projekt Red is one of the good guys who deserve to be supported.

The Last Wish is the first book in the series of books that were written by Andrzej Sapkowski way back. The games were created after the events of the final book, greatly as an homage to the main character Gerault of Rivia. They're not for children because like in the game the themes involves but also the small bit of ideas are more for adults. I could say it might be the modern era's Lord of the Rings in terms of how it was written.