DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Where to View Animation Graphs or List of Animation Names

DZL21

I'm trying to script the "T03RootBlocker" object to both open and close for a mod I'm working on for school. I know the roots have "Open" animations but I can't get the "Close" animation to work. I checked the creation kit site and it mentioned that the PlayAnimation function checks the animation name given with the Animation Graph of that object. Does anyone know if there is anyway to view an object's Animation Graph or get a list of Animation's compatible with an object? I can't seen to find anything on the creation kit site or by Google search.

Edited by DZL21

You've picked probably the most difficult project to work on. Very little is known about animations and changing them is about equivalent to pulling teeth.

Let me show you. To view the animations (or what's known as Behaviour Graphs) you need to look at the mesh (the .nif) of the root in Nifskope.

gallery_1515_264_38657.jpg

As you can see here, highlighted in yellow, the root only has an open animation. You'll never get it to 'close' as is. You would need to manipulate the Behaviour Graph file - wrtempletree02root.hkx (highlighted in red) - to add a 'close' behaviour.

This is where it gets complicated, very few people know how to do this. Plus, the problem with this is you can only change an existing behaviour, you cannot add 'new' ones. If you changed this existing one it would affect everyone's game with a changed animation for the Gildergreen quest tree.

To go further, I'm not aware of any 3D modeling software that can change .hkx files. Both Blender and 3DS Max can change the previous type of animation files (Oblivion used .kf files), so changing an .hkx would require converting it to a .kf file first, change it, convert it back. There is a program on Nexus that does this.

To go further, I'm not aware of any 3D modeling software that can change .hkx files. Both Blender and 3DS Max can change the previous type of animation files (Oblivion used .kf files), so changing an .hkx would require converting it to a .kf file first, change it, convert it back. There is a program on Nexus that does this.

There is a converter for that - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1797

It allows you to convert the hkx file to either an XML file or the KF files Oblivion uses and then it'll convert them back for you.

Thank you for the advice. We are trying to make an ominous being that will interact with the player. I'll probably just have the root float into some fog and out of view when I need to reset them since this process is so involved. But it's definitely nice to know and possibly delve into in the future for custom assets.