DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Repacking BSAs, good or bad idea?

Gramblosh

After DLing UOP and some basic replacers, I thought about repacking Oblivion (SI) BSAs with updated files from these mods, not so much for performance, mainly to keep the basic things separated from the stuff changing more often and keep the HDD less cluttered with lots of small files. Should make updating these things easier. Could also be a benefit when using MOM cause I only have to copy the updated BSAs to each profile (or maybe even share them between the profiles) instead of updating each profile. That was at least my thinking.

Did anybody here try this (I am kinda sure somebody did)? Good idea, bad idea? Anything I should keep in mind when doing that? And how about merging BSAs for e.g. Shivering Isles into one instead of four.

So, my plan is:

1. unpack original BSA (e.g. textures)
  2. add UOP files
  3. add basic replacers
  4. clean and optimize where possible
  5. set timestamp to something early (e.g. 2000-01-01)
  6. repack BSA

Help, advice, thoughts appreciated. Thanks :)

Edited by Gramblosh

Thanks, that sounds pretty much like what I was planning to do.

The need... at the moment in particular my textures folder is kinda doubling the texture BSAs, so I could actually unpack it, wouldn't make such a big difference. That makes all kinds of changes really complicated. My two Oblivion installs are about 40000 files each (about 30000 of them being textures) so getting rid of a few thousand files (guess half of those files are dupes) would be nice for my HDD.

• 1 year later...

I personally prefer to unpack BSA files in the data folder.  The uncompressed files offer a slight improvement in performance, but more importantly, it's easier to make changes -add and remove, or update mods, without having to recompress the BSAs every time.  

As for changing the file dates - I think that only applies to esp, and esm files for load order.  Mesh, texture, and sound file dates have no significance (correct me if i'm wrong)

• 2 weeks later...