DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY]Creation Kit Crashes When I Open a Script

Penguinchao

So I've recently run into a problem with the Creation Kit. When I add a script (or modify an existing script), I can change the source and attach it to an object, but if I try to even open the properties window, that window freezes. Even after this window freezes, I can still modify anything else like normal, but I'm unable to save because you have to close all of the windows. I've tried with and without mods loading (even before the Master File has been told to load).

Has anybody heard of this or know what the issue is? Any advice at all is appreciated! :) Scripting is very limited without properties :/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the stock features. I have Notepad++ installed to edit the source of a script, but I typically just modify with the stock text editor. I haven't been loading the Update.esm, so I'll try that and see how it works :)

EDIT: Still doesn't work :/

Edited by Penguinchao

There is no 'stock' text editor supplied with the CK. Its notepad.

Are you compiling the script when you have coded it?

I have no solution to your CTD issue. Could be driver related, or perhaps even the way your doing it.

Have you looked at the beginner papyrus scripting tutorial here at TESAlliance?

• Upvote 1

I guess I should explain more. To edit the script source, I just hit "Edit Source" and this window will pop up:

post-24046-0-23918600-1355900904_thumb.p

I checked the status of all my drivers, and the only ones out of date are two Unknown Devices and the SM Bus Controller. Bus controller and the other two won't let me update it though.

post-24046-0-67667000-1355900978_thumb.p

My issue isn't with the source editor, but with the properties window. The Object's window will freeze entirely if I try to edit the properties of any attached scripts. I can make a video of it if I'm not explaining this right :)

If the code is not being compiled correctly, it would cause the game to crash. The properties window uses the compiled version of the script.

The 'text editor' you are using is 'not' notepad. I would suggest looking at my script tutorial. And use notepad. And when you want to compile the script, right click on it in the papyrus selection script list, and select 'compile'.

Edited by WillieSea
  • Upvote 1

Hmm, alrighty, thanks! I'll take a look :)

But are you saying that it's possible that the script I'm trying to edit the properties for has not been compiled correctly? Because if that's the case, I've tried editing the properties of scripts that have already been "Successfully Compiled" and tested in-game.

Edited by Penguinchao

It was an issue with every script. Any time I opened the properties window for any script it would freeze. I just decided to reformat my computer (after backing everything up). As it turns out, I was having motherboard/driver issues, so I took the easy way out and wiped my system. :P I've restored my scripts and everything works fine now; thanks for the advice/help! :thumbup: