DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

heat sink maintenance

charlescrowe

Ummm..blow it out..?..Failing that, dismount it, clean the mating surfaces and...blow it / rinse it out. Apply new paste and remount? With cats you should probably blow out your whole cabinet...I`ve been told to NOT use a vacuum as it causes static electricity...as a side note...ladies nylons over your intakes make a cheap...easy to replace filter..:rofl:

Edited by donnato
  • Upvote 2

Blow it out with either an air compressor or a can of compressed air. You don't need to wash it or dip it in anything. If you do use CLR, make sure it's completely dry before you reattach it. Also, if you take it off, remove the old thermal paste and apply about a pea sized drop of new paste.

• Upvote 1

Two layers of gauze (sometimes you get some black one as fly screens, which looks better) do the same job and are less risky to get and less awkward to buy (as a guy).

Depends on what nylons you are buying. :)

I just use my air compressor to blow everything out. I have three cats, and two dogs, so, hair accumulation IS an issue. Keep the pressure under 40PSI though, don't want to be blowing parts off the MB. :)

• Upvote 2

blah. heat sink issue fixed, but that didn't solve the issue.only other part i haven't tested would be my PSU... is it safe to replace a 430w PSU with a 500w PSU?

Like Khett said. All I'll add is that with PSUs you get what you pay for. Buy a no-name one and you're gambling with your system - I had one that got to where it refused to boot the system without monkeying around with it. I replaced it with a Corsair and haven't had any problems aside from the CPU overheating and burning off the thermal paste, but my particular CPU is known to have heat issues.

• Upvote 2