DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Build or Buy AMD based version

donnato

Ok...I`ve become intriguied by some AMD based chat... particularly Arion`s rig running at 4.2GHz natively. This would stop the need to OC my Intel CPU ...ergo...less stress. What I`d like to do is to spec out an AMD based build from the mobo up. Any ideas..?

EDIT: As per Arion`s posting...Let`s start with this..>> Linky

Edited by donnato

As you requested, here are the specs for my system based on that processor and manufacturer's recommendations for compatibility of the individual compontents.

Motherboard - $95.00 - newer version of my current MB with USB 3.0 connections on board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

CPU - $120.00 Same as listed in your request

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106009&Tpk=FX-4170

8 core version - $200.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Memory - $50.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

You can also get this memory in a 16 gig set or the MB can use faster memory (I used the above for price) Highly recommend if you use faster memory that you look at Corsair and ASUS' specs for what brands and model numbers are compatible.

As for power supply I run a Corsair 550 based on what my video card's minimum recommendations are and the limitations imposed by my battery backup unit. Depending on your video cards' needs, my advice is take what the video card recommends and add 100 or 200 watts for overhead.

For $265.00 this fit my budget as well as it was more computer than I need and I don't expect to have to upgrade for a few years. Your mileage may vary depending on your needs.

Edited by Arion

I will just point out, that reason they seem to run faster and are so much cheaper then intel's i5/i7, is because unlike the Intel CPUs, they have only 4 threads instead of 8.

Just thought I'd point that out, though those AMDs do blow the Intel chips of the same price out of the water.

Ok...I`ve become intriguied by some AMD based chat... particularly Arion`s rig running at 4.2GHz natively. This would stop the need to OC my Intel CPU ...ergo...less stress. What I`d like to do is to spec out an AMD based build from the mobo up. Any ideas..?

EDIT: As per Arion`s posting...Let`s start with this..>> Linky

OK kids, before we take it outside, let's remember this thread is in a Public Forum. No one asked anyone to personally set up a good computer system, as the original post indicates; that's what Private Messages or chat is for.

And AMD is the brand we're talking about here. Now back to the discussion. :salute:

• Upvote 2

ok so, heres the thing, theres the bulldozer core and piledriver, and they are not the same, thats a bulldozer core and i would not get it, the piledriver is redesigned and runs better and is the new supported architechture.

my fx6300 was 139, so for another 20$ you can get a 6core proc its native is 3.5 but turbos to 4.1 again this is a piledriver not a bulldozer, this is the newer vishira chipset.

my current rig and specs

FX-6300 vishira 3.5ghz/4.1ghz OC'ed to 4.5ghz no turbo ... 139$

MSI-970a-G46 revision 2 ... <rev 1 had vrm issues> ... 69$

MSI-R7850 twin frozr 2 2gig OC'ed 1050@core and 1450@RAM... 209$

G.Skill sniper XMP DDR3 8gigs @ 2250mhz ... 45$

Corsair H-60 for CPU ... 69.99

Antec 300 case w/stock fans ... 54$

120mm green LED fans 3pak cost ... 11$

thermaltake 750w PSU ... 65$

artic MX4 thermal paste ... 5$

end results are verified in my siggy via cpuz

important footnote, when buying mobo get southbridge 950 for max performance of your parts and compatibility aswell as features for everything, in addition 850 and higher southbridge allow AMD cpus to use intel's XMP memory timings...

all in all add the hardrive thats a pretty sweet rig for 700$

graphics card can be better for 20$ btw 7850 OC edition and 7870 are slightly better cards @219 and 229 respectively

Edited by ibleedmonster
  • Upvote 1

I'd say avoid Bulldozer, that architecture is the reason AMD has been trumped in the past few years, piledriver looks much more promising, but it's newer and a bit more expansive.

at the below $200 price-range Intel and AMD seem to be pretty evenly matched, quad cores with 4 threads, though the AMD chips seem to have more speed, but that comes at the cost of the Bulldozer not handling the cores as well as Intel.

I still feel with that, you'll get plenty enough performance for any kind of gaming you want to do, as very few games can properly take advantage of extra cores.

• Upvote 1