DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[OB] Havok difficulty

The Vyper

I'm trying to add some Havok behavior to a modified version of the Great welkynd Stone (ARGreatWelkyndStoneItem01). I have it working almost right; the new stone moves around when hit, grabbed, etc. The problem is that its axial orientation doesn't change. It will move through space, but will not rotate on any axis. I've used NifSkope to match every havok-related setting I can find with those of a regular welkynd stone, but I still can't get the rotation effect.

Here are some more pertinent details:

NiTriStringExtraData:

Mass = 6.000000

Ellasticity = 0.300000

Friction = 0.300000

Unyielding = 0

Simulation_Geometry = 2

Proxy_Geometry = c_ARGreatWelkydStoneItem01

Use_Display_Proxy = 0

Display_Children = 1

Disable_Collisions = 0

Inactive = 0

Display_Proxy = <None>

Collision_Groups = 1

bhkRigidBody:

OblivionLayer (both Layer & Layer Copy): OL_CLUTTER

hkResponseType: RESPONSE_SIMPLE_CONTACT

MotionSystem: MO_SYS_SPHERE

DeactivatorType: DEACTIVATOR_SPATIAL

SolverDeactivation: SOLVER_DEACTIVATION_LOW

Motion Quality: MO_QUAL_DEBRIS

What else do I need to change to make this work?

You need to fix the inertia matrix. You have to set the inertia values for each of the major axes. For a mass of 6, try setting m11 to 30, m22 to 35 and m33 to 15. Play with those values until you get the behaviour you want. A higher value is more inertia, so it moves slower. m11 controls the rotation around the x axis, m22 is the y axis and m33 is the z axis.

• Upvote 1

I think I understand your question Viper but I`m not very good with NifSkope. Maybe this can help..? :shrug:Link

Thanks Don! :D I never even knew that site existed. I think it'll come in pretty handy.

You need to fix the inertia matrix. You have to set the inertia values for each of the major axes. For a mass of 6, try setting m11 to 30, m22 to 35 and m33 to 15. Play with those values until you get the behaviour you want. A higher value is more inertia, so it moves slower. m11 controls the rotation around the x axis, m22 is the y axis and m33 is the z axis.

Thanks! That solved the rotation problem nicely, but it revealed another one; apparently the "center of gravity" on the modified .nif is very near the bottom. I can send it spinning all over the place, but when it stops all directional movement, it rotates to stand almost vertical rather than resting on its side like it should (a lot like those fun "Bop Bags"). The mesh contains four closely linked components: the great welkynd stone itself, the flare (glowing aura) surrounding it, and two "cloud emitters" (for particle effects). How can I alter the center of gravity so that 1) the mesh stays on whatever side it lands on and 2) the four components stay properly aligned with one another?

Set the C of G to the centre of the object by changing the z coordinate. You can see the C of G as a small cross in the mesh. Hopefully all you need to change is the z coordinate. Moving it up so that it is closer to the centre of the mesh should fix your problem. Or you can set the MOI of the x and y axes so that they are much higher. This would make the object less likely to rotate around those axes - therefore it won't right itself.

The C of G is just called Centre in the collision block (bhkRigidBody or bhkRigidbodyT).

I think it is much easier using nifskope, to right-click on the NiTriStrips (or whatever the base block is for the object pieces) and select >Transform >Edit.

You can then move the mesh piece around and watch where it goes in the view window. This is how I move my objects around the 'center' of the mesh.

Set the C of G to the centre of the object by changing the z coordinate. You can see the C of G as a small cross in the mesh. Hopefully all you need to change is the z coordinate. Moving it up so that it is closer to the centre of the mesh should fix your problem. Or you can set the MOI of the x and y axes so that they are much higher. This would make the object less likely to rotate around those axes - therefore it won't right itself.

The C of G is just called Centre in the collision block (bhkRigidBody or bhkRigidbodyT).

Thanks again! :D Modifying the Center setting was exactly what I needed. The mesh rolls a bit too much when on its side, so there's still some minor tweaking to do (I think increasing the inertia along the X axis should do it). But at least it doesn't try to "stand up" any more.

I love learning new tricks! :dance:

I think it is much easier using nifskope, to right-click on the NiTriStrips (or whatever the base block is for the object pieces) and select >Transform >Edit.

You can then move the mesh piece around and watch where it goes in the view window. This is how I move my objects around the 'center' of the mesh.

For some reason, this method had no visible effect in game. :shrug: Still something to remember for future reference, though.