DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

custom nif CK and collision troubles

ResolveThatChord

So since InsanitySorrow made a tutorial on exporting custom meshes with collision, I decided I'd try and finish a project from a while ago which I had to abandon due to there being no tools to create collision with.

I have run into two major problems. The first is that the CK crashes when attempting to render my custom .nif, and the second is that the collision is not working correctly.

Everything appears correct and orderly in Nifskope. However, when I try to assign the mesh to an object in the Creation Kit, the following notification appears:

Assert

File C:\_Skyrim\Code\TESV\BSShader\BSBatchRenderer.ccp

Line:1751

Render pass is being registered twice

And then the CK freezes and crashes.

To test for the source of the problem, I used the new mesh as a replacer for an existing vanilla object. It renders beautifully in-game.

tesv2013011603001124.jpg

So it would seem that only the CK has a problem with my .nif file. This is a big problem as it will require tedious work-arounds for me to create any non-replacer object.

The second problem is that the object appears to have the collision of a bowl. It tends to roll upright and the upper half clips through everything:

tesv2013011602593487.jpg

It's probably worth noting the "template" which ChunkMerge used to create the collision was the glazedbowl01 mesh.

Any help or advice on these two problems would be greatly appreciated. I feel guilty for all the screenshots I put up of projects that are never finished to good enough standards to release.

Your first problem is with your BSLightingShaderProperty, remove it and copy/paste cleanly from a vanilla NIF then re-link your textures. I've found there can sometimes be problems with the way either Nif Utils copies the BSLightingShaderProperty or with the CK being a pain in the arse.

Second problem, try other template files. NIF Utils can be a bit buggy when dealing with havok'd items, so either keep trying until you find a template that works fine or create static collision first and then edit the settings in the NIF to make it act like clutter.

Whoa-hoa! That was fast. I will try those things and get back to you. It just occurred to me that while I created a complex custom collision mesh, the template I chose used a convex collision shape; maybe that's the problem.

Edit:

Your BSLightingShaderProperty suggestion worked like a charm. Now onto collision.

Edited by ResolveThatChord