DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Movies!, Thread #1

InsanitySorrow

Movies!

bill-and-ted-slice-01.jpg

We all have our favourite movies, those that we can watch over and over again, movies that hold special memories and those that cheer us up when we're feeling down. We also have movies that are coming out soon or the near future that we want to see. One thing we didn't have was a place we can discuss them, well now we do

:dance:

The rules of TESA apply here as everywhere else. If the content you want to post or discuss contains strong language or imagery that violates the Teen (PG-13) rating, do NOT post it. Violators WILL receive a warning and possible suspension time. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse.

OK - too many to choose from - here's the first list :lmao:

The Big Lebowski - A movie about nothing. Or everything? Also, all of the films made by the Coen Brothers are excellent - but Lebowski is like nothing I've ever seen before.

Office Space - Just watch it and love it.

Gandhi - For 2+ hours I feel like turning the other cheek.

The Right Stuff - Epic tale of the coolest men of the 20th century.

The Sand Pebbles - Steve McQueen as Jonah. 2nd saddest movie ever.

The Fly - Jeff Goldblum tries to teleport. Saddest movie ever.

Rocky - 1 only. No sequels. Sylvester Stallone goes the distance.

The Man From Snowy River - Oblivion's landscape on film, about horses, persistence and self-confidence.

Jeremiah Johnson - See above and add an element of strangeness and lonely peace.

Cool Hand Luke - A sweaty parable with George Kennedy saying "pop pin pop!"

In Harm's Way - John Wayne wins the war for Henry Fonda.

The Fifth Element - Milla Jovovich is the perfect being. Oh, and she's in this movie.

All Bonds - even ones with the wrong Bond are better than NO Bond.

All Bournes - never would I have imagined that little Matt Damon could be an action hero.

All Die Hards - Best smart ass ever filmed.

All Jack Ryans (yes, even that one ;) )

KickAss - Because of the little girl's introduction. Absolutely awesome!

Assassination of a High School President - High school Noir. Listen for great references, especially the final line.

The original 'Girl' movies (Dragon Tattoo, etc...) - Haven't seen the American versions, but the originals are darkly captivating and chilling.

O yeah - Alien and Aliens are definitely top notch. I love the two different feels - one's a haunted house movie and the other's a monster movie. Both Bill and Ted and Back to the Future I loved a long time ago :)...

Jeff Bridges plays the Big Lebowski, unless the movie's named after the other one :lmao:....try the True Grit with John Wayne? I grew up with that one. They're both great versions of the same story.

I have Revolver and Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels in my Netflix queue. I'll check them out.

And..... "If it bleeds we can kill it." :trophy:

The Big Lebowski is full of profanity, not a family film, but one thing. If you watch it, prepare for confuzzlement. :lmao:

Ooooh, another one - Local Hero. Oil company guy goes to a little village in Scotland to buy the whole place for a refinery. So great.

Oh wow, anything adapted from a Philip K. Dick work can't be bad. I need to find A Scanner Darkly! Other adaptations:

Blade Runner - from the short story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Total Recall - from the story "I Can Remember it for You Wholesale"...They're remaking Total Recall with Colin Farrell and without Mars.

Heck - go see

And JJ is directing the next Star Wars movie. Read about it here.

New Total Recall? Crap it's out already?!? :blush:

I think we need new Star Wars movies only to rinse out the bad taste left by the last three :lmao: I think JJ can get back to the story and characters, like the old trilogy. What bothers me most is the Disney ingredient... :sick:

Let's hope we're both worrying needlessly. :) I remember the first time I saw the original Star Wars. I was in 7th grade and we had just done a 20 mile walk for charity. We came into the theater a little late and sat down. Mesmerizing!! I'll never forget the twin suns of Tatooine, with the young Luke staring out at them in youthful angst.

Hmm...favorite movies...this could take a while.

Top Gun - Probably my favorite film of all time (and one of the best soundtracks ever). I've been studying military planes since before I could read. I can tell you that the final dogfight scene would never have happened (and why), but I'm glad they put it in. It's the best fictional aerial combat I've ever seen on film.

Tron - I got a huge kick out of that film. End of line.

The Dark Crystal - I still enjoy this one. It's also a hit with my nephews.

The Never Ending Story - It was fun watching Boxey ride a luckdaggit while D.A.R.Y.L. read all about it. :P

Original Star Wars trilogy - These were awesome. I remember seeing Empire Strikes Back in theaters with my dad when I was just 3. That was fun. A bit confusing for a 3-year-old, but still fun.

Rumble in the Bronx - Jacki Chan. What more need be said?

Back to the Future trilogy - These are fun films to watch.

The Bourne Trilogy - Even though these films aren't even remotely close to the books they're "based" on, they're still really good.

Mission Impossible I & III - I didn't like the second one and I haven't seen Ghost Protocol, but the first and third are great.

The Protector - Tony Jaa goes on an epic journey to rescue his pet elephant. Oh, and there's some Muy Thai action here and there. And a few other places.

Ong-Bak 1, 2, & 3 - More Tony Jaa and some of the best stunts ever performed on screen. No stunt doubles were used for anything or anyone.

Godzilla 2000 - I'm a big Godzilla fan, so being able to see this in theaters was a real treat.

That's all I can think of for now.

How about I recommend some exciting older movies that the younger generation might not have had a chance to watch?

Do you find old movies to be kind of... slow? I know I do. Even when watching the classic Star Wars, I find it a little slow compared to today's fast paced movies. It's worse when I watch stuff from the 50's and 60's. Anyway, here are some great movies from the 80's that you definitely won't find slow!

Airplane! (1980) - The birth of deadpan comedy and precursor to movies like The Naked Gun series. It's basically a parody of 1970's disaster movies and is so saturated with sillyness that you can't help but belly laugh from beginning to end. And don't call me Shirley.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Everyone has heard of Indiana Jones, but have you seen the movie that began it all? A fusion of mystical Egyptology (which everyone finds fascinating), one breathtaking cliffhanger after another and just enough humour to keep it light hearted. There's no CG here - when you see someone inches away from being run over by a moving truck, there really IS a stuntman inches away from being run over by a moving truck! This realism adds more to the excitement that you could imagine.

Thing, The (1982) - Horror tale of an artic outpost that encounters an alien something. It builds up the biohazard fear factor until it goes off the scale. Its amazing use of props and practical effects creates a creature gorier than the best of todays CG creations. Watching it, you'll be afraid to touch ANYTHING or trust ANYBODY. Forget the inferior 2011 prequel.

Terminator, The (1984) - This where the franchise started with Arnold Schwarzenneger as the infamous cyborg. The first thing you'll notice is that this is actually a low budget movie, but with James Cameron at the helm, he transforms the cyborg into the most relentless, terrifying assassin ever to hit the silver screen. The first half is a bit on the slow side (by today's standards) and feels like a typical police procedural, but the ending will leave you gasping for breath.

Back to the Future (1985) - A delicious action/suspense/comedy mash-up of what happens when a teenager accidentally goes back in time 30 years, meets his parents when they were teenagers and tears a hole in the fabric of the space-time continuum. Supported by the definitive mad professor who converts a Delorean sports car into a time machine. I wouldn't put this movie on this list unless it has laughs and/or pulse-pounding excitement beginning to end and in this case, it has both.

Aliens (1986) - IMHO, the best of James Cameron's movies. This is the movie that popularised the grizzled space marine trope. A group of badass soldiers armed to the teeth with hi-tech weaponry go to investigate a distant mining colony that has lost contact... and they get their butts kicked. The most relentlessly exciting movie that I've ever seen. Everything in Aliens franchise that came after this was sadly inferior.

I've had my own LOTR movie in my head since 1980, having read the story 30 times, so I disagreed with all of the changes PJ made to the story. Only the sets, the Balrog, and Gollum, worked for me. Great looking films though. :yes:

But yessir that cartoon Hobbit was a great faithful work. I had that version on a record that I listened to hundreds of times. I would play it on a record player ! :lmao:

I've never read the LOTR books, have 'em but never read 'em XD. What did he change for the films?

That's a loaded question :lmao: He changed quite a few little things, but I think the big deal for me was this. He intensified character's motivations. So if Elrond was bitter in the books, in the movies he turned into a Man-Hater. It made things more dramatic, more exciting. But when he did that, (like Faramir wanting the ring) it allowed him to have characters do things they never did, or would ever do, in the book, but in the movies (like actually trying to take the ring to Denethor) they became logical actions, because of the new stronger motivations. :dizzy:

What did he change for the films?

A lot of things, some small, some not.

The Hobbits originally got their weapons (except for Sting) in the Barrowdowns, not from Aragorn.

The giant eagles actually talk. Gwaihir (the one that rescued Gandalf from Isengard) was originally sent by Radagast the Brown.

Aragorn originally received Anduril, Flame of the West, from the sons of Elrond (not Elrond himself) before he met Theodin King in Rohan.

The Ents originally voted in favor of war before Treebeard saw the devastation of Fangorn wrought by Saruman's Uruk-Hai.

The Dunedain (long-lived humans like Aragorn) originally helped win the Battle for Gondor. The army of the dead merely helped to take the black ships.

These are just a few of the changes PJ made. I still think he did a decent job, though.