DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Lurker's Lair #38

InsanitySorrow

• 3 weeks later...

I remember once when I was out fishing. I ran out of bait and while I was getting ready to leave I saw a cottonmouth shake eating a frog. Frogs are good bait so I grabbed the snake and took the frog. Then I realised that I had a deadly venomous snake by the neck. Hmmm... how to let it go without getting bit? then I remembered my bottle of whiskey so, I poured some down it`s throat and put it down. It wound it`s way away and I went back to fishing... Later I felt a nudge at my foot, looked down, and saw that same damn snake ... with two more frogs... :rofl:

• Upvote 2

Figured after my last post I should really add an update to say "I ATEN'T DEAD", etc.  Surgery went well, recovery is going well; it was six weeks today that the surgeon set about me, so I'm probably not doing too badly all things considered, but still rather painful.  I liked the surgeon, actually, he was a good laugh and checked up on me daily for the week I was an inpatient.  The only thing I regret not doing is checking out the hospital's wine list (I was kinda awed that it had one); at least I had a couple of nice curries while I was there!

Unfortunately, I've had to stop my regular exercise for the past month or so and have replaced it with eating, so I've put on a lot of weight.  I've recently resumed it, albeit at a very reduced level, so hopefully I can at least halt any further weight gain!  I never managed to be especially slim, even squeezed into a corset, but, er... yeah.  Lard.

Still been doing next to nothing on the modding front except for tinkering slightly with New Vegas in a recent play-through to port over some bits and bobs I'd added to FO3 (nothing exciting, just some jewellery and stuff: thanks to whoever wrote the guide to using the Conformulator with FO3/NV's engine as it was something that confounded me for a long while!) but my major projects are still on hold.  That said, I haven't even played anything since being out of hospital: my NV play-through remains unfinished and the Witcher 3 box sitting next to me remains unopened.

I need to get my gaming trousers on soon, though: highlights for me this year are the Extended Edition of Divinity: Original Sin, which I'm excited to see, and of course FO4, which I'm very excited to see.  Come November, I can start being impatient for all my favourite modding tools to become available for it. :lol:  Which makes me sound like an utter ingrate, so many dedicated people have contributed so much stuff to allow me to scratch my modding itch in the past.

I guess I could've covered most of this stuff in the Shoutbox, but y'know, interactive conversation.  Do not want*.  eek. :o

* ahem.  I should add that I'm not anti-social, just socially nervous and autistic, and I can make a big enough fool of myself even when I have the opportunity to consider, pontificate, edit, re-edit and generally muck it up!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Since we were recently on the subject of hair, I recently had a haircut.  Which I know is terribly exciting, but I had most of it cut off because it was annoying me and by the time I'd finally finished de-tangling it, it was almost time to go back to bed.  Don's beard is probably longer than my hair is now.

7 hours ago, vometia said:

Since we were recently on the subject of hair, I recently had a haircut.  Which I know is terribly exciting, but I had most of it cut off because it was annoying me and by the time I'd finally finished de-tangling it, it was almost time to go back to bed.  Don's beard is probably longer than my hair is now.

Well, I must have mine cut.. I just have to find the right hair dresser for that. :lol:

14 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Well, I must have mine cut.. I just have to find the right hair dresser for that. :lol:

For me, the right hairdresser is the one who comes round to my house: I hate going to salons.  Fortunately he's also a good laugh and does a good job!

He's also quite hyper so I like to give him a really strong coffee so he's good and ready for his next client. :lol:

Edited by vometia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Whole lotta lurking going on by the look of things. :lol:  I'm still checking in once in a while but as with everywhere it seems that forum traffic has really plummeted; I guess that "golden age" from the post-Usenet days of the early '00s to perhaps five years back is largely over.  AFAICT a lot of it is because people migrated more to social media and other things that were more accessible on their wireless telephones; where more in-depth discussion was needed it seems that meta-forums have become the thing instead, so Steam for gaming etc.  Which is really kinda sad given that there were formerly so many awesome communities, but places like TESF and BSN are very much yesterday's news.  Dunno if Bethsoft foresaw The Way Of Things or not but their revamp accelerated the process, and BSN... well, Bioware didn't know what it was doing and didn't really understand what it had.  At least before ME3, anyway.  The quieter places like Larian are now quieter still where there's often just the occasional tumbleweed that rolls through on its jolly adventure to the next ghost forum, though we are having a flurry of activity with the upcoming Baldur's Gate 3.

So what was the point of this?  Er, dunno really.  Actually I'm in one of my "I need something to play!" moods and I think that's what I was going to write originally.  And I dunno what.  I feel I've done the TES and Fallout thing to death; ESO I liked but I'm way too "argh other people!" for online stuff; Dragon's Dogma was awesome, but three times in quick succession was probably all I could eke out of it; Assassin's Creed Odyssey was a lot of fun though after 100+ hours I think I wore it out by too much aimless mooching about instead of having any purpose (such is the risk of free-roaming); Andromeda was way better than its reputation suggests but I'm not ready for another go with it; the Divinities I've done again and thoroughly enjoyed Original Sin II just now but it's done; tried some of the little indie things like A Plague Tale which was awesome enough to do it twice but it's now done; tried The Occupation which was fun in that it's a kinda sorta political thriller Bioshock set in '80s Britain but it has timed missions, so no.  And now I dunno where to look.  Something interesting and engaging without being too hard; something where I can RP a female lead because I've spent way too much time RPing a male, so while I'll make exceptions for  Geralt and Booker and Strelok I'd generally rather not.  So I dunno.  Right now I'm gameless again and while Greedfall promises much, that's (at least) two months off.  But I need something now because my doctor has ordered me to play more video games to relax!  Which is true, btw.

2 hours ago, vometia said:

But I need something now because my doctor has ordered me to play more video games to relax!  Which is true, btw.

I don't know much about your tastes in video gaming but there are some games around you may not have played yet. What about old games? No fancy textures, lots of text to read, top down, and the like?

The first video games I ever played were the Jeff Vogel's Avernum series and I loved it so much that I bought it again recently. The whole series of games was remade but I wanted the original versions, the one I fell in love with back then, and I found them on GOG. The seven games are available under the title Avernum: The Complete Saga; you won't need to buy the series that are listed at  the bottom of the page. And the price should please you! :P

Jeff Vogel committed other games that are also available on GOG, here.

I hope this helps. :)

Edited by ladyonthemoon
  • Thanks 1

I have a bit of an odd relationship with older games; in theory I like them and often find I enjoy them more than I might expect, e.g. VtM: Bloodlines, Divine Divinity and so on.  My main difficulties are that pretty much anything from the '90s gives me the migraine from hell (possibly related to me also having extremely bad motion sickness, but it can take days to recover) and tiredness means my concentration wanders off too often during Ye Olde Wall o'Text.  Which is a real shame as I used to really enjoy some of the text-only adventure games in my youth: interesting that they had among the best graphics of any game I played! :lol: It's amazing what a youthful imagination can do with an imaginative enough description of the environment.

So if I was a more sensible and less difficult person they would be good suggestions; however, I a neither!

I think I'm looking for stuff that is more or less contemporary, i.e. last 10 years or so.  RPGs, though I like adventure; stuff that involves more exploring and meeting people than it does combat or strategy (though combat in particular is a staple so unavoidable, so as long as it isn't impossible!) and playing a female lead.  Things I've enjoyed a lot are TES and all the recent Fallouts; Mass Effect and Dragon Age; the Divinities (not including Beyond Divinity: too alien-looking for me; nor Dragon Commander, which was pretty much entirely strategic); Kingdoms of Amalur; and in spite of the male leads, The Witcher, the Bioshocks, and even the much-maligned Two Worlds.  Mostly stuff that's as challenging as I want it to be but also somewhere I can just go and soak up the environment.  If it can be modded, so much the better, but I guess that's just taken as read given present company. :D

But having just written all that I really need to go and check out your recommendation.  Why do I always do things in the wrong order?  "Because it's 5am" is a compelling excuse, but sadly I'm just as disorganised at any other time of day!

• 11 months later...

I'm still playing older games and have recently settled into the Dragon Ages which have the added bonus of being much more modder-accessible than they were (even including Inquisition to a limited extent, but not there yet).  I've only realised after the event that I should've perhaps come here first and asked for help before trying to mod Dragon Age 2 as in some ways it's less straightforward than Oranges but happily I have it figured out, finally.  Well, for values of "figured out" as it's a laborious progress to get from Blender to in-game model, but it seems to work correctly.

• Love This 1

Wow, you mentioned quite a few I have done myself.  I JUST finished my 6th 'Dragon Age Origins and Awakening' fiesta!  

I have a hard time liking games that won't let me choose a female character.

I play all of the ME series once a year.  I can't resist.  Me4/ Andromeda was disappointing.  I hope they learned that the side adventuring ONLY has value if

the character can actually benefit.  All that wasted time and I had so much money and nothing to spend it on.  No thrill or reward.

It truly seems that the only cool action was the followers' quest and the game ended rather soon because the only thing to do is waste life

landing on planets with 'persistant action' which is what I call 'FARMING'  and I had a very high character level and it was easy to solo.

Not to mention there is no point when you can have every power of all characters.

My go to 'mindless night game' was space flight simulators like Wing Commander 'Armada'.

Maybe you like Sid Meiers's game?  I have played for approximately 20 years 'Alpha Centauri'.  It almost seems like a different game every time you play it.

I like Divinity, don't have the Divine one, but it sounds you play games I like. 

Try command and conquer, another all time long lasting series.

Doom.  The new one.  I am guessing it doesn't have a female lead.

Witcher.  Drat the last one I think had a female presence but I am not sure you could mod it to be useful.

Siberia II, Plants vs zombies, (ONLY because I collect works of software and it was free).  I am half way through Siberia II, it is just me being side tracked with better games and I like to program alot. 

I am not sure what games you can play that are rpg and have female roles.  I am like  you with that but have kept myself busy with strategy games

like command and conquer   or   Alpha Centauri  when I can't find them.

My new rig decided to have some power on the mother board but not where I need it, so I am very unhappy right now.  Got to get back to my 'precious'.

Edited by Ashenfire