DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Dual Hard Drives?

Hello. This one has an Asus X54C notebook and is wondering about something. When he goes to install a game through Steam, it gives the option of starting a new library on the D: drive. A look at the "Computer" window confirms that there is, indeed, a D: drive on board, but Tiger would like to make sure. Is it all "perfectly safe and canny", to quote Tolkien?

I installed Steam on my second drive, and all games install there as well. (It happens to be my D drive)

If you want to know if you can do it, then yes. If you want to know if you have space on that drive, then you need to check in 'My computer' to see how much space it has. Many manufaturers make a 'D partition' on your C hard disk, and its only for backing up the Operating System files. So you may not even be able to access your D drive.

You just have to check what your computer is capable of.

Well .. my Asus lappy only came with one physical HDD. It was partitioned pretty much equally in half to C drive and D drive. it is a 320G capacity so my C side started filling up pretty quick. I learned to keep my games and such away from Program(x86). I made reciever folders for my games on my D to keep from bloating my C and to avoid problems. My graphics software goes to my C ...pretty much all else goes to my D...I try to balance. After the warranty ran out and the lappy needed cleaning I removed the back cover and found a secondary HDD bay and added a 500g. Do not crack your case untill after the warranty runs out...but I`ll bet you`ll find that you too can add a secondry.

I installed Steam on my second drive, and all games install there as well. (It happens to be my D drive)

Not anymore. Last year you were able to install Steam everywhere, but you don't need to install games into the Steam\steamapps\common folder any longer and now you can select a partition during the installation for a game. This mean that you can have Skyrim on the same partition as the other TES games are installed and have Steam somewhere else. :)

If you want to know if you can do it, then yes. If you want to know if you have space on that drive, then you need to check in 'My computer' to see how much space it has.

You just have to check what your computer is capable of.

If you plan to get your self another HDD then you'll definitely need to use a good tool for managing every partitions you have active on your computer and I recommend Partition Wizard (freeware), which is easy to use if you know what you're doing. I'll also give an advice to anyone and that's to not to apply anything unless you're absolutely sure, because you can cancel any pending task in Partition Wizard.

You can also get your self an USB HDD or even a SSD (they're not cheap for large SSD) for more data capacity if you can afford it. :)

• 4 weeks later...