DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Which manager?

Tigersong

I swear by NMM for Skyrim, but find that it doesn't work well at all for Oblivion.

I always install Oblivion mods manually, creating a BSA if the mod comes with loose files. I mod Oblivion so I probably find this easier than those who don't. I use OBMM for the load order. For some reason, Wrye Bash and I never got along, though I'd say it's probably a better mod manager than OBMM.

I have not used NMM, but moved from manual installs to OBMM to Wrye Bash. I put off learning Wrye Bash for a long time because of its complexity and the documentation's chicken-and-egg issue. That is to say, IMO the docs for Wrye Bash are a lot more comprehensible after you already know how to use it.

That being said, I'm all Wrye Bash now and not looking back. It's an incredible tool, even if the learning curve is a bit long, and well worth the time to learn it. I'm still learning its features, but my game is way more reliable now that I'm using this power tool to manage conflicts and load order.

• 2 months later...

A bit late in the day, but I found out the hard way why some people won't use OBMM: mine couldn't open its database for various sundry reasons and proceeded to delete a huge slew of stuff it no longer recognised.  This included a lot of painstakingly-installed stuff as well as bits and pieces I'd been working on.  Though I'd backed them up, I was officially Not Happy.  Once its database was available again, it wouldn't load it, unhelpfully.

I gave up and moved on to BAIN.  Though Bash's documentation can be, er, hairy, it's proven itself to be much more reliable and straightforward.

I always install Oblivion mods manually, creating a BSA if the mod comes with loose files. I mod Oblivion so I probably find this easier than those who don't. I use OBMM for the load order. For some reason, Wrye Bash and I never got along, though I'd say it's probably a better mod manager than OBMM.

I'm using both OBMM-Extended and Wrye Bash for managing the mods I want to play, but I stay away from OBMM if I can and only use it when I really need to use OBMM.

My first impression with OBMM was that was so easy to use it, then many hours (probably months) later I finally managed to rebuild the bashed patch myself and after that I'm trying to use Wrye Bash whenever I can.  So if you want to learn of how to do things in Wrye Bash then I strongly suggest that you take a look at this Wrye Bash pictorial guide.

That being said, OBMM do have some neat features that other tools doesn't have and one of them is that you can view a NIF file in OBMM's integrated NIF-viewer plus create+extract+unpack BSA files too.  Also, OBMM-Extended has an unique feature which allow you to update any installed mod that's hosted on Nexus online via OBMM, so there is no need to browse your self to death by searching.

• 1 month later...