DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

NMM and BOSS?

elias64

I trust the opinions given here at TESA so I'm hoping someone could weigh in with their opinion about NMM and BOSS.

I've never used a mod manager or mod installer.I tried a load order manager for Morrowind once but didn't stick with it for reasons I forget.

That being said,with Morrowind I have 100-150 mods and Oblivion somewhere between 50-80 and they've all been manually installed.I always save the original zip file so if something went horribly wrong I could figure out which files belonged to a particular mod.Plus if a site went down or dropped a mod,I'd still have it.

I guess what I'm asking here is for input on whether or not I should start using NMM or BOSS with Skyrim?

Also is there anyone here who doesn't use any managers and does everything manually?

Keep in mind the only thing I know that a manager does is keep track of dates,can uninstall a mod with all its associated files with a mouse click(I guess).For load order I can just use the built in arrows in the data files in the steam launcher right?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hello Elias. I don`t know about NMM but I`ve begun using BOSS and Wrye Bash (or Skash) for installer and manager. Bash can be a bit involved and will take some learning to use but at it`s most basic is very easy...once properly installed...BOSS somewhat less involved. Everything is in their respective readmes` and folks here can help fill in the blanks. I also save all my raw zips...also for the reasons you mentioned. For Oblivion I use OBMM and Wrye Mash for Morrowind.

• Upvote 1

I do not use any managers or installers, I install everything manually, and I keep the original download file at all times.

That said, for my mod on the Nexus, NMM is a big pain in the caboose. It sometimes does not install the mod correctly (scripts folder to be specific) and has a lot of trouble with my mod because its two files, your choice of ESP/ESM and the resources file.

Another note on a comment you made; "figure out which files belonged to a particular mod".

If a mod does not self contain all the objects its using in its own new folders, then I bypass the mod. (or at least have a BSA so I don't have to figure out all the files that went with the mod.) For example, all my mods objects are placed in the \williesea\modname\ folder structure for ease of install and delete.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys.WillieSea you've given me hope that I still don't need to resort to a program over doing things manually.Lol,I hope thats a good thing!

I'm getting the stuck at loadscreen thing still is why I was considering running these other programs.I can play for about an hour usually then its a hard reboot,ctrl-alt-del only flashes and wont stay in front.

Somebody else with the same problem said a re-install helped them so I'm ready to do that.Question:do i make a copy of my data folder now and replace the data folder after reinstall,and also leave me saves folder just like it is?

Also,I don't have too many mods but can I stay subscribed and installed or do I need to monkey with my mods to reinstall the game?

In that same thread a guy mentioned not having "auto saves" on.I'm going to turn mine off now just to see.In Mwind and Ob I never used the quicksave feature but I never heard of a problem with the auto save.

Looking back,Morrowind was really just such an awesome game.I got morrowind free with a video card is what me aware of it! I love Oblivion and Skyrim too but Morrowind was like a first girlfriend lol.I'm going to have to give fallout and dishonored a chance too I guess.

Elias, I`ve had some luck deleting the game .ini and then starting the game to let it regen a ne one, but I`ve forgotten exactly which .ini to delete. Maybe someone could refresh my memory here. I don`t remember if it`s the one in Docs/My Games...or in the games directory that we don`t want to touch.

I feel the same about MW too. First thing I got to try out my first computer (laptop). I was stunned and amazed. Fallout 3 is very awsome but wouldn`t run on my PC when it had the i3 cpu. Runs fine on my core dup lappy and on my PC since upping to the i7.

EDIT: I just asked and was reminded to delete the skyrim.ini and skyrimPrefs.ini , in the Docs/MyGames/skyrim folder where the saves are.

Edited by donnato
  • Upvote 1

A 'reinstall' is a drastic step when you have messed up your game files. So making a copy of your Data file and replacing it after the install 'could' give you the same problems.

There are a lot of 'terribly created' mods out there that have the ability to really mess up your game. I always check over what a mod does before I install them. And I manually keep track of any changes made to 'vanilla' objects or scripts so I can undo them if things go sour.

On the subject of 'scripts'. Know that scripts are no longer part of a mod, they are seperate objects now that can and will run without the mod installed anymore. So you could have a messed up scripts folder causing problems. A 'save game' will also become 'corrupt' if you install and remove a lot of mods. Trying a new game will sometimes fix problems.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys.So deleting the said "ini's" will just generate new ones correct? I'll give that a shot.

And yeah that makes sense about the data file could give me the exact problem seeing as that folder gets all the changes and has the scripts folder as well.

All signs seem to be pointing toward taking the mod class because I don't possess the knowledge of how the scripts work so I'm not able to check what each mod does exactly.I should be able to if I want to troubleshoot these things the best I can.

In MW I was able to put a house together and decorate with content already made but I'm clueless when it came to landscape,making something that isn't in the cs,and dialog with npc's or any of the formulas it takes to make things happen.Like the variables it would take,if this character is level whatever or higher then give him this answer but only if he belongs to the mages guild...way beyond me.

WillieSea I have recently installed and uninstalled not a lot,say 4-5 in a short period of time,so I dont know if I corrupted a save or not.I'm hoping not and it hasn't been happening as much but it still does.It's actually better for my health that after an hour I'm forced to take a break lol.Still annoying though.

I've made "clean saves" after I uninstall mods so I should be ok there right? Or are you saying once I corrupt a save,thats it?

If the ini's will regenerate I don't see anything but the possibility of good in trying that.I don't think I've touched the ini's in Skyrim.In Ob I enabled border regions for the x-mas cabin(snowy dreams?) and did a fix for doors opening slowly.Any more doors problems then I'm using Jim Morrison for an avatar good lord!

I understand.I was ready to get a new video card today but then I downloaded fraps to check out fps.Most of the time I'm getting 55-60 and heavy fighting in the 40's and a change of scene drops to a low of 30 so I'm happy with that.I cant turn up the settings but at least I know the doors and fast travel aren't the video card.

Although thats when it drops from 60 to 30.It did work right in the beginning though so I'm thinking its game related not hardware.

Clean saves only work if the mod your removing has no scripts on an 'update' schedule. If it does, then your save game is now corrupt because it will continue to run that script even if the mod is gone. This alone can cause a boatload of CTDs.

Remember, scripts are no longer part of a mod, and information is stored in your save game. Such as 'run this script every 1 second', even if the mod is now gone. This does cause errors in the script which can slow and then crash the game from them all.

In my mod, I have a 'pull chain' that will stop all quest running scripts of that type, plus help you 'clear out' all your belongings from the mod.

I would start with a new game and see how it goes. That would have no corruption from old mods.

• Upvote 1

I've been giving this a lot of thought.Starting over would definitely tell me if it was a mod causing it.I'm past the MQ and the civil war and the bummer is that I want to still add more mods.The 2 I have to have are the Follower Tweaks and the Pocket Forge/Lab.

I'd like to see a mod that allows the player to say "shut your mouth or draw" to some of these rude npc's.Or at least give them the finger or taunt into a fight or something.

I hate it when a steward to an exiled jarl says "I should bash your face in" inside the palace of the kings,and you get no option to reply.When someone gets like that you should have the option of escalating the matter.I've stayed clear of stealing anything this time around and even with officer armor on I've had guards say "hands to yourself sneakthief"!

WillieSea I'd love to see your modlist of ones you've gone over and know to be problem free.

My mods list? I think you will be disappointed. Most things I need or want in the game I make myself.

For example, you want the 'pocket forge/lab'. I see no use for it because in my Levelers Tower, I have a teleport spell that brings me right to my tower where I have everything. The spell can then 'send me back to where I was when I teleported to the tower' so I can continue where I was when I am done with the tower.

My activated mods:

HearthFires

Dawnguard

Dragonborn

HighResTexturePack01

HighResTexturePack02

HighResTexturePack03

Fall of the Space core Vol 1

LevelersTower

ApachiiHair

AKWarpaints

Wickwood

MasterEquipment - Personal, contains combined clothing mods. Changes to in-game variables such as sneak speed.

SmeltEquipment - Personal, allows me to smelt down weapons and armor, as well as a lot of clutter like tankards, kettles, irons, dishes, dwarven pieces

MasterPerks - Personal, new perks that take advantage of skills past 100, up to 200.

OwnershipFixes - Personal, removes the 'ownership' from certain cells and items which I feel should not be 'stolen' when I take it.

BetterFemales - Personal, changes the face and hair on some vanilla females in game, also gives them the female animations instead of the male.

SKSE

SkyUI

Elys Uncapper

Smart Souls

I have a number of texture replacers, some I made, some not. I also changed the script on the 'mining ore' so I can mine for as long as I want. I thought it was odd that the vein would run out after just a couple ores.

• Upvote 1

Thanks,I think I might start over and start with the levelers tower shortly after the escape from Helgen.I'm not as far along in the game as I thought because I forgot to consider the DLC that I haven't used yet.

I'm not disappointed in your list at all I'd be doing the same thing and will when I learn how.Smelting down weapons and armor is a great change and I agree that mining ore is ridiculous when you get one or two ores.

• 1 month later...