DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Blowin Off Steam

elias64

I have to laugh at the irony of not being able to play skyrim atm because everytime I start Steam it extracts and installs an update then gives me a message of "Steam needs to be restarted to apply update" then "steam needs to be online to finish update,check your internet connection"!

Beautiful,its already installed this update 3 times earlier in the morning and I played afterward so who knows whats going on with that.My internet connection has been fine all day,but I guess not to them lol.

So now I cant play a game that i bought the disc for that doesn't need to be online to play in the first place! :shock:

Thats my rant and I'm sticking to it.I would've ranted on the Steam site :tesa: but according to them I can't get online!

Most games are like. Just because you buy it doesn't mean that you "own" it, just the privilege of being able to play it.

Yes I am aware of this. Buying a game (Or any software for that matter) at a store or online normally comes with an EULA that you are granted a license to play the game on your machine at home, however, this is not true with Steam (any more). They fairly recently updated their agreement to say that any game you buy through steam still belongs to them and they have the power to terminate your service and access to said games at any time for any reason. And you had to agree to it to access your games there after. So now we don't even own the licenses for the games we bought as we did/do under the game's EULA.

Steam is literally driving a wedge between developers and end users by having an easy to use middle-man. Most people out there see the short term benefit of such a system, but fail to see how this system will ultimately come back to bite us in the proverbial ass.

• Upvote 1

The situation is a bit muddier in the EU where the EULA clauses don't overrule what the law says; and I don't fully understand the situation, but to Valve's assertion that Steam only conveys a right to use rather than ownership, the EU's response seems to be "lol no", just because Valve says it's something doesn't make it so.  That's probably good news for their customers (I hate the word "consumer" and the way it depersonalises people) but it would seem that the actual legal status needs to be tested in court.

Of course all of this shouldn't matter, and wouldn't matter, if the companies actually viewed their paying customers with a bit more respect.  It seems to be a bit of a folly that they don't: it can't end well.

• Upvote 1

Of course the problem here is they think all their 'customers' are thieves and pirates. Sadly, its completely the opposite where their "customers" are trying to buy games legally when the option to get them "free" using the five fingered discount is "out there".

Bad news for Tiger, and people like him, who downloaded a free MMO via Steam to avoid using Pando Media Booster. ><

Oh yes, Pando Media Booster, item number 937,128 in "How To Alienate Your Users".  I'd actually forgotten about that, but I was certainly not very impressed at the time when I discovered it chewing its way through my monthly usage allowance: in an age of usage caps where people can be facing either steep penalty fees for over-use or simply become cut off for the rest of the month, it's not a good way for a company to ingratiate itself...

Yep, Sorrow. Supposedly its purpose is to speed up your download; however, I think the opposite is true. Hence why I downloaded Star Trek Online from Steam rather than the official website.

I think the idea is to speed up other people's downloads by making your PC part of a network of download servers.  They just "forget" to mention that bit.

I think the idea is to speed up other people's downloads by making your PC part of a network of download servers.  They just "forget" to mention that bit.

This makes good business sense, since its less bandwidth they are paying for by forcing the users to pay for it.

They get all the money and none of the bills. Win - Win!