Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkRider

Whoa TESA, Online Much?: Unplanned Downtime 3/27-3/?

34 posts in this topic

Hail Allies, Patrons, Scholars, VIPs, Staff, and Guests! :wave:

Just a little note here on our unscheduled downtime yesterday and today, TES Alliance was hacked along with a number of other sites. All user info should be safe there was no evidence that the hackers entered our database, they just injected some garbage code into our files and tried to hijack our traffic to somewhere in the wilds of cyberspace. We're up now, but still have some cleanup to do to recover and restore all of our features, the damage was pretty extensive. :doh:

So thank you hackers for the extra work, get your own traffic and get a life now please, we're not hurting anyone here. :rolleyes:

Update: Just an update on progress, the damage to the Gallery was quite severe. We will do our best to repair it but this feature may have to go offline for a bit.

I was afraid something like that happen when I saw the error message earlier today.  I concur to what IS just said.

Thanks for getting TESA back online again DarkRider. :dance:

If those hackers don't watch it Emma19912 Is going to get em!

I'll hit with some of this :tesa: And watch as they do this :oblivion: because we all :wub:  us some good ol' :loveTESA:

I recommend checking out Fail2Ban if you can. It will take care of those little script kiddies pronto!

I think it might have been apart of that recent massive worldwide strike that had occured that I heard about on the news last night. Shame some people just don't know when to just not be... yea..

If they cleared out my image gallery, it would save me a couple hours doing them one at a time...

I dread having to clean up my gallery.

Thinking the same thing here Willie after I hit 500 in one gallery and it said I couldn't post anymore to that gallery. There's no easy way to thin it out except one at a time. Hopefully we'll get an upgrade at some point that will help with that.

Good show Rider for getting the site back on line :clap:

Hackers ..much like taggers...are cowards at heart and have not the courage to battle toe to toe..

If they cleared out my image gallery, it would save me a couple hours doing them one at a time...

I dread having to clean up my gallery.

-------------------

To begin recovering the gallery, I had to update the software. This latest incarnation of the Gallery SHOULD allow users to delete multiple images at once, or even entire albums. We shall see.

At the moment I seem to have recovered the 17,000+ images in our gallery, but there are about 78 albums that are not in their parent categories after upgrading, it will take a bit longer to get things where they go, apologies for the delays in getting our gallery back online. :construction:

HACKERZ!!! :rtfm:

Okay so I have no idea when this is gonna stop :lmao: Fear not my friends I'm not nearly done fighting it. Working with IPS Wind and I are going to attempt a total re-install of all our software to eliminate whatever backdoor the hackers are using. The site is going to get bumpy but we plan to stay as up as possible. Thanks for your support and understanding during this hassle. :construction:

Do what you have to do, DR. It's a shame some people can't do things for themselves, but such is our society.

Ouch. Sorry to see things have gotten this serious. Hopefully everything is going smooth with the site recovery.

I recommend checking out Fail2Ban if you can. It will take care of those little script kiddies pronto!

+1 on that. I use fail2ban on my servers also, and it has served well.

Syscrusher

Update: We've done our best to root out the hacker influence in our files today, hopefully she'll stay up awhile now. This assault has forced us to push forward with the upgrade on the board to close any possible security gaps, so there are still some things to sort out in the gallery and around the board/skins etc. We'll hit it again tomorrow but it's 4:00am here, break time :sleep:

Oh dear, sounds a lot more serious than I'd assumed (NoScript just warned me about "organiccrap.com", I guess you're already aware of it).  How very annoying, shame some people can't just create their own stuff instead of ruining other people's...

UPDATE: With the assistance of our host we found the entry point for the hackers and closed it, site's been up and stable all day so we're optimistic that we're in the clear for now. Still working on the upgrade, so expect some bumps and visual oddities until the construction hats come off the logo :construction:

[EDIT] Oh and YES the white theme is temporary, may see it gone tonight actually, but we'll be back in black soon XD

Hackers suck.Why they would mess with this site just shows what they are,malicious,and for no good reason.

Thanks DarkRider and anyone else involved in getting the site back up.Sorry for those inconvenienced by this.

I can understand why a thief steals,he gets something.I can't understand why a hacker would mess with us.Malice.

With the assistance of our host we found the entry point for the hackers and closed it

May I ask how they snuck in? Just wondering if there's anything I should keep an eye out for elsewhere... Thanks for keeping on top of it. :) Edited by vometia

We have a few hosted WordPress blogs on our server, they came through one that wasn't updated. :noway:

WordPress in general gets a lot of spam/hack type activity

Update: Brought the new TESA Dark Pro skin online as the default, still some edits needed but as it was pretty close to finished, I thought I'd spare you folks from the blinding white board XD

We have a few hosted WordPress blogs on our server, they came through one that wasn't updated. :noway:

WordPress in general gets a lot of spam/hack type activity

Thanks for passing that on. :)