DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Whoa TESA, Online Much?: Unplanned Downtime 3/27-3/?

DarkRider

Rider, what is the confidence level you have in the upgrades to keep this from happening again?

I am curious, because when I visited on Friday, it fried my computer and I had to format the whole drive and reinstall a new OS to get it to work again. I don't look forward to having to do that again so I have been visiting minimally, and only late in the day (when the Russians are asleep).

I did loose a lot of data, but was able to copy some using a dos prompt which was not fun. ;) Luckily most of my data was on my D drive.

Hmm, not sure how the type of hack we experienced could affect your system that way from TESA, but sorry for the loss of your material, that's unfortunate. :ouch:

I can't say "oh we'll never be hacked again" technologies advance, so do the hackers. No website is 100% safe from infection, one of the unfortunate risks of web browsing as you well know.

I am 100% certain they won't be using the same exploit to dig into us again. It wasn't TESA that was exploited, by itself TESA is well maintained and quite secure. This recent infection was through a blog site we were hosting on a sub domain for a user. They didn't notify us that they had abandoned the blog, and ceased updating it, which is how the hackers got in. We've removed all externally hosted blogs to prevent a repeat.

We will be doing our best to prevent any future infections, our users safety is always our top priority. :salute:

Good to know, I was more concerned with an immediate hack again. I don't think you had said the fixes were complete yet, so I was just asking. Being 100% sure about the latest hack is good enough for me in the short run. I work in the industry and understand nobody can be 100% safe, and I have also taken steps when I rebuilt my machine to be more protected on my end as well.

*What happened. At 3:30PM MST on Friday, I connected to TESAlliance and received several 'header errors' when the page loaded. I immediately unplugged my internet cable and went to play one of my older dos games. Suddenly the screen went white and would not respond to anything, not even Ctrl+Alt+Del. I rebooted and it boots up to the white screen. Hosed. I then loaded up in safe mod, again white screen. So I loaded up in dos prompt mod and was able to copy many files from my C drive to my D drive (although I missed a lot, the copy commands are difficult to use at best.) I then formatted and purchased W7 and installed it. I also purchased a 2 year contract to AVG just to be sure.

I suspect the white screen was because what-ever was installed when it (I assume) redirected me to some other website, could not contact the hacked address so it was freezing the computer. I was not about to plug the cable in though :rofl:

Update: Just an update on progress, the Gallery is back online. Private albums are temporarily missing since the update, we know where they are but the system is fussing when I try to put them back where they go so if you own a private album some are temporarily inaccessible. If you have trouble uploading to your albums please let me know, the upgrade reset several settings that locked some folks out. Image ratings are back as well. :good:

Update: Looks like we're about wrapped up for the software update. For now private galleries are being hosted in the Private Gallery, they should be available to their prospective owners now, but let me know if you cant access your private or friend only albums. :good:

The <p></p> issue some have encountered in the shoutbox is still eluding us but we're working on it. Couple minor skin edits left but those should be knocked out quick enough, so it's safe to say we're done as far as any major construction around site. :D

TESA Blog was nuked by hackers and could not be saved. We will be trying to restore it from an old backup, but not until we have the server equipped with a hack monitor to prevent it being used as a backdoor in the future. So, it's down for now, but will return. :)