DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Hi Everyone

ericore

Haven't played oblivion in years, but recently got back into it and started soft-modding.

To me the most annoying aspect is matching the crappy texture in game with the texture file; wish their was a console command to do so.

I have used infraview with a plugin and go through every texture and even then sometimes I don't find it since their a many similar textures and due to the way they are applied. It's driving me mad.   For example, in Bravil, I now have it looking perfect with 0 FPS increase, except for the steps of the chapel and the exterior of the chapel.  I'm not 100% sure a chapel is considered a castle, and I'm having a hard time locating the textures for it delaying my Oblivion Visual Overhaul production.  There is no descent go to all-in-one visual overhaul that overhauls everything and barely hits FPS.  I can do it, but without efficient processes or its gonna take me forever.  Mainly I'm taking existing mods, substracting /correcting  and combining with other mods for each graphic element in the game.  Finding them was also annoying as their is a billion of them, but I found them all.

How can I more easily put a filename to an in-game texture without having to go through all of them?  

• Upvote 1

Hello ericore, welcome to TESA!

Go in-game and stand in front of the object you want to know about.  Open the console with the ~ key, and then click on the object.  You will see an 8-digit hex code at the top of the screen along with the visible name of the object if it has one.  The hex code is the object's Form ID.

Then open the Construction Set and load Oblivion.esm.  In the object window, go to the relevant category for the object and expand the Form ID column, which is usually so skinny you might not even know it's there.  Click the Form ID heading to sort by Form ID so you can find the one for your object.

Once you find it, scroll over in the object window to find the mesh path of the object.  Then open that mesh in Nifskope, and Nifskope contain all the texture paths being used by that mesh.  Expand the nodes in the block list until you find lines with little purple flowers and a file path in them -- that's a texture path.

It sounds like a lot of work -- and it is, if you have many different objects to check -- but once you get to know the folder structure, you won't have to do this for most things.  They are pretty well-organized.

The chapels use textures from the cathedral set: Oblivion\Data\Textures\Architecture\Cathedral

Hope this helps!  :cookie4u:

• Upvote 1