DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Nahkin

Unique Locations
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I would open a thread for my current WiP Mod Unique Locations. You may know already my pics I post about the Mod. The intention of this thread is to get more ideas what exactly I should do with my locations or where to build new ones. And when it would be time to release it. I am working also on other Mods or Homes I try to refurnish or clutter up. Today I thought why not making a thread where people (who would like) could contribute their ideas. I just finished another unique location yesterday and today was comming the next one into my mind.

The mod will feature new Unique Locations spread all over the map of Skyrim. This mod currently only depends on Skyrim.esm and also Update.esm. I think that I will also stay that way and not include the DLCs, as not everybody has them or likes them.
At the time my mod was growing I asked myself a few questions about the sense and the direction. I have to say that I personally use the mod for claiming different artifacts I downloaded.
Well now I would like to ask you some questions:

• Should it be just a mod which adds several places to explore ?
  • Would it be good to leave some locations unmarked on the map ? (for example the Mammoth Ribcage)
  • Should every location be ownable by the player ? (currently most locations hold inhabitants like Summoners or Thiefs you can kill)
  • What should you get from the location ? (place there Weapons and armors from Modders ?)
  • What ideas you got for new locations?
  • Where would you like to see new locations ? (I always search fancy new locations to place my buildings; You can also just tell me a location and I think about what fits there)

If you interested or would like to put in your ideas, feel free to do so. I would be happy ;).
Thank you very much for your attention and the time you invested to read that post :).

Current Locations (game ready)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note in this section I only will post the outside of the location. You can find more pics about the location in my Gallery. Or later on than in the game. Ofc not everything the mod offers is shown in the screen shots. You should also explore it ;).
(Excuse the long post but Thumbinals don't work)

Last Updated: 03.05.2013

Old Mage Tower
oldmagetower2oefmcnql8.jpg

Mammoth Ribs
mammothribsfb3my9gdvt.jpg

Goldbrands Grave
goldbrandsgravr8cevl6sym.jpg

Forestking Tower
forestkingtower41pqdzvt8n.jpg

Fisher Hut
fisherhutp75qmbcsdl.jpg

Fairy Wood Cave
fairywoodcaveshifxnlam4.jpg

The Chill
thechill26yof5we7q.jpg

Hidden Sewer

hiddensewersypl4o73ems.jpg

Dwemer Cabin

dwemercabinwdp0xvujas.jpg

The Battlefield

thebattlefieldxijtdqkfh9.jpg

The Graveyard

thegraveyardxtn1m5j0bv.jpg

Journeyman's Camp

jounreymansc0yxm5njwql.jpg

The Well

thewelllnrhzfi7js.jpg

Eremits Cave

eremitscave290rjz6igw.jpg

Thanks for reading and don't forget to enjoy the game !!

Nahkin

Edited by Nahkin
  • Upvote 1

My two cents.

I don't think of 'unique locations' as only houses, dungeons, abodes of some sort.

I get the most joy when I explore and come across a burning wagon. Or a circle of mushrooms with a wizards wand laying in the center. Or burning remains with a flame cloak spell tome laying nearby. Just simple little stories where 'something' happened and makes you wonder... The loot is nice too.

@all: Thank you very much for that kind words. Thats why this community is so great :). Cookies for all :cookie4u:

@Willie: Yeah I also seen your post under one of my pics. I already considered doing so. Still I am not sure if I should add map Markers to some of them only or to all.

Also not every location will be a fully functional house. For example the old mage tower currently holds a Summoner, which lives there and can be defeated. But you won't find there a crafting station or display stuff or anything like that. Just a Mage tower with enchanting station and Alchemy and also some storage.

The mammoth Ribs also for example are only a small camp, where currently a Hunter lives. It has only some crates a small box and a fire place. You won't find there fancy stuff to display or even mannequins.

On the other side the next unique location I think will be a sewer themed Thief or bad boy hideout where you can also live.

If its a medium sized, decent home that does not look temporary or would be blown away in a strong breeze, I would give it a map marker.

If its just a burning wagon, or lean-to, or circle of mushrooms, I would not give it a map marker.

Map markers should be reserved for locations the player would want to go to, over and over again. Otherwise, your just cluttering up my map with markers. :lol:

Well I don't want to clutter the map up with markers. But currently I am doing locations the more or less are small buildings or hidden caves or sth. like that. For other locations you can only reach them if you are at a vanilla one. For example the Fisher hut and the Fairy Wood Cave. Also the Mammoth Ribs.

I really would like to add my own personal map markers. Anyone got an idea if thats working ?? Or anyone done this before?

There are mods on the Nexus that add markers to the official secondary locations identified in the Strategy Guide, so those authors would know exactly how to do it. Or you can download the mods and look in the CK to see what they did. I use the Atlas Map Markers mod. It also covers DG and DB DLCs. So even things like mammoth bones and small ruins with corpses have markers.

Map markers are easy.

Open the Static tab and scroll down to 'MapMarker'.

Drag it to where you want it 'centered'.

Double-click on it in the render window (were you dragged it) and you can change the settings using the properties tabs of the map marker object.

Name, detection radius, icon shown.

@Willie: Haha thank you very much for the tip but that I know  :icecream: .

I meant I want to create my own Map marker Symbol. A unique symbol for Unique Locations. That I can choose than in the Map Marker symbols tab. So I don't have to use the vanilla ones. I dunno how I would do that. :dizzy:

Edited by Nahkin

@Tamira: thanks will look that thread. Didn't know thats a hard problem XD. Thoguht many modders already done this.

Well For the moment I am using vanilla map markers for those who get one.

For example if you view the latest one Dwemer Cabin it won't get one because it's near a well known Dwemer Ruin. So only those who are in the Reach or sth. would get it.