DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Recycling a heavily upgraded computer

Well, I finally managed to blow up my old computer. However, it left behind the following bits and pieces that can be re-used:

• GPU: GeForce GTS250 1GB
  • Power: GTR PTX-500M 500W
  • CPU Cooler: Deepcool ALPHA 200 ST (PWM) Socket 775 CPU Cooler (may fit in some 1155 boards)
  • DVD Drive: LiteOn iHAS524 24X DVD/CD Writer
  • Monitor: 24" LCD monitor
  • Peripherals: Plenty of mice and keyboards
What would you build out of it? What level of CPU would best match the GTS250's capabilities so that one isn't constantly bottlenecking the other? H77 motherboard to save money or Z77 for future proofing?

(Note: I already have another gaming rig so maximum gaming performance isn't mandatory for this one.)

GPU - Old and outdated. Will run games fine, but don't expect wonders from it anymore. Its a re-branded 9800GTX+ which is a re-branded 8800GTX (almost), so its got the power of a high end card from 2006.

Power supply may be re-usable if your new system isn't overly demanding. Modern GPUs are rather power efficient. I'm running a GTX660Ti on a 650W, but it can run on a 600W or even a 550W if your other parts permit.

CPU cooler is basically useless if it is indeed a 775 based design. just because it fits the board doesn't mean it fits the CPU.

DVD drive is always reusable.

Monitor, ditto. Always reusable.

Accessories, once again, reusable.

If you are looking to reuse the GTS250, then stick with either a 775 quad core, or maybe an i3 or i5 quad. Its really hard to future proof a system using a 250 as its focal point. Anything you come up with will be behind the curve and be on the chopping block in 2-3 years tops.

@ _echo - THanks for putting it into perspective. I guess a high-end 2006 GPU is kinda ideal for Oblivion. :) Two items that I forgot to add to the list:

2 sticks of 2GB DDR2 RAM

2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 RAM

This strengthens the case for going with a 775 CPU / Mobo since going the 1155 route will necessitate buying DDR3 RAM as well. Interestingly, certain i3's and i5's are heavily discounted here due to oversupply resulting in the Core 2 Duos and Quads being more expensive to obtain!

I'll see what I can find on the used parts market, but at the moment, it seems that recycling the parts will cost as much as getting a brand new low-end computer (once again due to massive discounting over here).

@ Willie - It's a possibility... I might end up discarding the project if it becomes economically unfeasable. If Red can cobble together a computer from everyone's used parts, why not?Caveat: I'm in Hong Kong so shipping might cost more than the parts! :P

Edited by Lanceor

You know, Red really needs a better computer so she can mod again. Perhaps we could all donate parts for one? :lol:

You know, i have a full system (Minus power supply, it died) that Im not using. Ive been trying to figure out what to do with it.

Well, I'm going to try a full stripdown and rebuild of the computer just to rule out that I plugged in something wrong.

If no miracles happen, I'm happy to send over any of the parts listed above if it will help get Red up and running. I checked the postage prices and they should be reasonable provided I'm not sending the entire case. :P

I completely disassembled the whole box, cleaned everything, reassembled it carefully and... it booted up! I guess it hadn't fried itself after all. Anyway, what I learned from this excercise is... don't attempt to recycle the good bits from your old computer unless it's a really new old computer. :D

Off to the other thread to offer some help for Red. :)

• 1 month later...

This.

Power supply may be re-usable if your new system isn't overly demanding. Modern GPUs are rather power efficient. I'm running a GTX660Ti on a 650W, but it can run on a 600W or even a 550W if your other parts permit.

I doubt that you can use SLI with a 500W power supply so if I were you I would probably stick to what video card you have and focus on other things like a better chassi (I assume you have one), but I don't know for sure if that's possible with CrossFire.