DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

A computer for Red (Aka WhoGuru)

_echo

I didn't want to hijack Lanceors thread, so We can put this here.

It was made aware of the situation in which Red (WhoGuru) was in need of a new computer to get back into modding. I have an almost complete system I can donate to this cause, however it is missing an important part, and I am not in a position to fork out for shipping costs.

The system I have is fairly decent. It is quite literally all my parts from my last gaming computer.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

PNY GTX260 216 core edition

GSkill 4GB DDR2 ram @800MHz

500GB hard drive (I have more if necessary)

XFX nForce 750i SLI motherboard

Some brand of DVD drive

The only thing it needs is a Power supply. Recommended at ~450-500W.

I will also have to do some work to clean the hard drive and get it all set up and in working order, so all Red would need to do is assemble and turn on.

So, Can we make this happen? I know a lot of people miss our Guru.

• Upvote 1

You may have to build it for her and ship it ready to go, someone who has a PSU can ship it to you and we can try to raise the shipping rates. :idea:

[EDIT] I'd actually been trying to pull parts together too, considered a thread like this myself good idea Echo! Talked to Guru and she doesn't have a monitor either so if anyone has a spare, it's needed. :)

• Upvote 1

I have a spare PS here and I'm pretty close to Red now.. Couple hours away.....  I'll have to dig it out and see what size it is.. I'll look up the motherboard and see what kind of power connectors it needs and see if this will work.

Edit - scratch that idea.. its 300 watt piece of junk I should have thrown away years ago.... I'll look around and see if I can come up with something. Can't promise anything right now

Edited by Arion
  • Upvote 1

You may have to build it for her and ship it ready to go, someone who has a PSU can ship it to you and we can try to raise the shipping rates. :idea:

[EDIT] I'd actually been trying to pull parts together too, considered a thread like this myself good idea Echo! Talked to Guru and she doesn't have a monitor either so if anyone has a spare, it's needed. :)

I thought of shipping it as is, but then i was thinking about it getting damaged mid transit. Ill have to see if II still have the case's old box. I used it to help transport my computer halfway across the country when i lived in Kansas. If it is easier to have the PSU shipped to me then that is fine too, it will allow me to work on installing the OS and whatnot.

We can also have a special desktop background and maybe some letters for her if anyone wants to write anything.

I have a spare PS here and I'm pretty close to Red now.. Couple hours away.....  I'll have to dig it out and see what size it is.. I'll look up the motherboard and see what kind of power connectors it needs and see if this will work.

Its an LGA 775 board. It needs a 20+4 or 24 pin connector, and 2x 6pin PCI-e power connectors. I have plenty of molex converters if your PSU doesn't have enough. Same goes for any SATA power connects, I have converters for those as well.

• Upvote 1

If the goal is to get Red up and running in any way possible, I can add another option to the table. :)

I have the following graphics cards:

• Winfast GeForce PX6200 TD 128 MB - Like new. I still have the box and manuals (pity they're in Chinese). This was a temporary card when my main one was in for warranty repair.
  • Winfast GeForce PX6600 TD 128 MB - Well used. No box or manuals.
Both of these cards are severely lacking in horsepower. BUT they use very little wattage which means that Arion's 300W PSU could become feasable after all.

In case it's needed, I also have a no-name 350W PSU which may or may not be better than Arion's one. Given the hard life that it had, I'd bet worse though.

I'm happy to post any of these to the US. Let me know if you want photos or anything. :)

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be checking later today and see if my buddy that I gave a ton of spare parts to has a decent power supply laying around. If not I'm willing to order one for the computer as a donation to help.

I'm only a few hours away from Red down the interstate and if need be I can be a collection point to get everything in one place, make sure its arrived in working order and get it set up and ready for her and then deliver it.

Anyone want a shiney new monitor so they can donate their old one to a good cause? :D

Edit : Looks like I'll be ordering the PS sometime next week

Edited by Arion
  • Upvote 1

I have already said I would happily donate at least $40-50 for shipping, from my paypal account. I can make a payment to another paypal account for the money transfer.

I am glad this is going, I saw her comment on Facebook and knew I had to see if there was any interest in this project and I am glad to see there is. :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

I was just thinking... Does anyone live somewhere that there is a computer shop that sells used parts? Like monitors? Shop here got run out of business a few years ago and he used to sell monitors (CRT) for $20 to $30... Might be an option unless someone has one they can spare.

• Upvote 1

The thrift stores here sell flat panel monitors for $20-30, it might be more cost effective to give Red the fundage to pick one up locally than to buy one and pay for shipping.  That is, unless someone has a particularly nice one to give her.

If anyone has a sandybridge i3, i5, or i7 cpu to donate, I have a sandybridge-only LGA 1155 socket motherboard & 4 GB of ddr3 I'll throw into the pot to up the ante a bit.

Edited by Khettienna
  • Upvote 1

The thrift stores here sell flat panel monitors for $20-30, it might be more cost effective to give Red the fundage to pick one up locally than to buy one and pay for shipping.  That is, unless someone has a particularly nice one to give her.

If anyone has a sandybridge i3, i5, or i7 cpu to donate, I have a sandybridge-only LGA 1155 socket motherboard & 4 GB of ddr3 I'll throw into the pot to up the ante a bit.

In what world do thrift shops have LCDs for $20-30?

• Upvote 1

In what world do thrift shops have LCDs for $20-30?

Mine, apparently?  The last few thrift stores I looked in each had a half dozen or so at that price point, and that was just a few months ago.

Edit:  Mind you these are not super fantastic widescreen monitors, they're just monitors.  Probably most of them are 1280x1024 -- which iirc is what she is used to anyway?  I was just trying to be pragmatic.

Edited by Khettienna
  • Upvote 1

State of the Computer

The videocard I have removed and put in its original box for safer transport. Everything else is rather solid in place. It will still be packed in with the computer, as the box I am using is for my current case which is a bit larger then this one. I have tons of packing material so it will be safe.

0504131459a_zps9d53e237.jpg

• Upvote 1

Okie dokie, think I got a paypal set up correctly.

-Link Removed-

If there is a better way then this, then let me know. Im only looking to get the cost of shipping covered, which I should probably find out how much that is, but Im still finalizing the contents of the box. Early estimates put it around $70-$120 depending on if I go UPS or USPS. I would prefer UPS.

I will be shipping to Arion so he can do final assembly and transport to Red herself.

If anyone has any better parts they wish to donate, let me know so I can take out the necessary parts.

• Upvote 1

Ship  it UPS ground and make sure you get a tracking number.... The postal service is going to kill you for shipping charges !!!!!

I'll order the power supply when I know its shipped to see if I can get a better deal/price. Need to order some other stuff for here as well so want to do it all at one time and save on shipping .

• Upvote 1