DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Ok, to start out I have been tracking this request thread for quite a while.

I have .obj files to the scepter (long and short versions). Now, I made the mod and the esp has all the weapon stats, world placement, etc. but seem to be having trouble getting the objects exported/textured for Skyrim. I have been trying to UV map the models and it's driving me nuts. I follow tutorials, but it seems like once I fix one issue, three new issues arise. Is it something relating to the materials? Is the obj just not Skyrim compatible I'm so confused, I try to use NiConvert and it freezes as soon as I click convert. The times I am able to export a successful nif, errors such as the one above happen. Could anyone take a look for me? The Loki's Armory request thread has been open since May 5, 2012 with over 6,800 views and 58 replies, I feel the mod would do the community good, I want to contribute so bad and all these problems keep holding me back. I even talked to a modder who had finished spear/helm models but never published because he ran into a few issues. This was at least December 2012.

I am using Blender 2.49a(?) and have Nifscripts working and have exported fine before, I have very little experience in 3D modeling though and may be doing it wrong. My question is, will someone take their time out to collaborate with me and release the mod? I will renounce rights to publish the mod to whoever decides to be so kind as to help me (Unless you do not want the burden) and the others who have wanted this for so long! biggrin.gif  Here are my source files, I'm not sure if they have proper UV maps or not. Another thing I would like to do is take the spear-head from the shorter model I have and put them on the long version, but it didn't work right when I tried it myself (I know, I suck) Thank you to whoever takes time out to help!

http://www.4shared.com/rar/XYMuE7ib/LokiScepterBOTHWIP.html

The problem is with .obj files and the latest versions of Nifskope. They're broken. You'll need an older version, like 1.1.0 RC6. Anything after that was borked.

Installed above version and completelty removed the old version. I'm not sure that this is my issue, though. I am almost positive that it is the way I export my model from Blender or something similar. I've played with these models so much I'm almost sick of them. (almost lol) This is a screenshot of my .nif, exported from Blender. https://imageshack.com/a/img838/425/ae.png

As you can see I have NiTriStrips, not NiTriShape. Google isn't helping me as much as it usually does, I feel like my problem is too specific. D: I believe this is why I am getting my next error. When using NifConvert the console says nif exported succesfully and I am left with an almost empty nif file. https://imageshack.com/a/img404/9426/u3lg.png

I do not feel I have made any progress and may have even ruined some source files in the process, but I am determined to get this to work.

EDIT: I ended up exporting a nif that Nifskope:

1. Will let me edit the UV template

2. Reads NiTriShape instead of NiTriStrips

Screenshot of Nif

This is the most progress I have made in two weeks. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on what's holding me up please let me know! :smile:

Here are my two corresponding .nif files. http://www.4shared.com/rar/9ocetqmo/Lokis_Scepter_WIP_NIFS.html

Edited by Haxxzor1

Well, I think I know why it crashes NifConvert. This model (looking at the NiTriShapes one as the NiTriStrips is useless in this case), is severely too high poly.

It comes to a total of 14,804 polys, or 27,069 verts. A vanilla Skyrim staff, the highest poly count I see is 1,392 for sanguine rose.

You must lower the poly count down to a reasonable level. You can either decimate the mesh, or use the scripts > mesh > poly reducer script on each TriShape object. It must come down considerably.

I'm fairly sure that will solve the problem with NifConvert crashing, but just out of curiosity, can you post a picture of your Blender export screen? I'm assuming you're exporting as a Morrowind mesh?

Well, I think I know why it crashes NifConvert. This model (looking at the NiTriShapes one as the NiTriStrips is useless in this case), is severely too high poly.

It comes to a total of 14,804 polys, or 27,069 verts. A vanilla Skyrim staff, the highest poly count I see is 1,392 for sanguine rose.

You must lower the poly count down to a reasonable level. You can either decimate the mesh, or use the scripts > mesh > poly reducer script on each TriShape object. It must come down considerably.

I'm fairly sure that will solve the problem with NifConvert crashing, but just out of curiosity, can you post a picture of your Blender export screen? I'm assuming you're exporting as a Morrowind mesh?

I never thought to see if my model was high/low poly to be honest. That may have rekindled my hope to get this project working again, I appreciate the insight! Here is a picture of my export settings, which is a mashup of videos I've seen and tutorials I have read. (A lot referencing swords, none to staves)

EDIT: Do not think it's the poly count, I've made a MUCH MUCH lower poly model (horribly ugly if you ask me) and NifConvert is still crashing.

Edited by Haxxzor1

The export of the Nifs worked for me. I have to mention that I work with the latest version of Nifconvert, that is included in the NifUtilsSuite:

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/6084-beta-nifutils-suite/

The Nif converted from the LokiScepterNITRISTRIPS.nif is empty though, maybe because there are no textures/material included.

And as Hanaisse already mentioned: The poly count of your model is too high. And from the LokiScepterNITRISHAPES.nif I removed in Nifskope 1646 duplicate vertices.

I modified the two nifs and sent them to you in a PM so that you can have a look at them in game.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kerdGEOGlQMyJ3WiADBTpNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

But you should really try to lower the poly count of the models.

• Upvote 1

Ok, first of all, upgrade to Blender NifScripts 2.5.9.

Change your export settings. The only thing you need selected is Smoothen Inter-Object Seams, everything else is irrelevant. The "Stripify Geometries" is what's causing the NiTriStrips that you don't want.

As Tamira pointed out, it seems you have misc duplicate verts in the mesh. Clean that up before you export with the Remove Doubles option. And try to lower the poly count as much as you can. You can see what the count is on the header of Blender to the right - Ve: equals number of verts, Fa: equals number of faces or polys. 8,000+ polys is still way too high.

I really appreciate all the help everyone! I can say for certain I would not have gotten this far without massive help from the community! I'm currently working to release thanks to you two!

EDIT: Blender now fails to import any Skyrim nifs after installing the Nifscripts you linked. Is it compatible with Skyrim?

Blender NIF Scripts 2.5.9 (running on Blender 249, PyFFI 2.1.11)
niftools.blender.import:INFO:Importing C:\Users\Kristi\Downloads\3D Modeling\Pro
jects\Loki Staff\FinalModel\Long Scepter\LowPoly\LokiScepterNITRISHAPES_Gameread
y.nif
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\bpymo
dules\nif_common.py", line 1235, in gui_button_event
    self.gui_exit()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\bpymo
dules\nif_common.py", line 1598, in gui_exit
    self.callback(**self.config)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\impor
t\import_nif.py", line 3771, in config_callback
    importer = NifImport(**config)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\impor
t\import_nif.py", line 170, in __init__
    data.inspect(niffile)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyffi\formats\nif\__init__.py", line 1286,
 in inspect
    self.header.read(stream, data=self)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyffi\object_models\xml\struct_.py", line
354, in read
    attr_value.read(stream, data)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyffi\object_models\xml\array.py", line 30
0, in read
    elem.read(stream, data)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyffi\object_models\common.py", line 691,
in read
    % (length, stream.tell()))
ValueError: string too long (0x6A060000 at 0x0000003A)

Edited by Haxxzor1

Haha, yes. I was using version 2.5.8.09855eb of Nifscripts, was able to import the staff of magnus, just had to edit the mesh a little following the 3D craftworks tutorial you linked.

Edit: Nevermind, I never edited the mesh you game me before trying to import.

Edited by Haxxzor1

If you are going to make changes on your model, why would you re-import the mesh I gave you? All informations about texture, collision etc. will be lost anyway. Work on your original mesh instead and do the conversion with the new NifUtilsSuite (I linked to it) this time.

If you are going to make changes on your model, why would you re-import the mesh I gave you? All informations about texture, collision etc. will be lost anyway. Work on your original mesh instead and do the conversion with the new NifUtilsSuite (I linked to it) this time.

I'm still running into many problems, this has been a lot more difficult than I could have imagined. Working from my model I don't think I'm UV mapping/texturing properly. Every mesh I have tried converting in NifConvert has crashed the program. I feel as though I am blind or incompetent, having so much help and still unable to accomplish this. I tried to take the file you gave me -> export each object from Nifskope -> Import each into Blender -> UV Unwrap each -> Export as Nif with these settings. I get the same results reducing the poly of my own file -> UV Map -> Export then crashes NifConvert.

And again I have no problems to convert it. :shrug: You must be doing something basically wrong with NifUtils. I sent you the converted file and a short instruction for NifUtilsSuite in a PM.

But: Your new file is far too low poly now I think, the shape of the hilt is now a bit serpent-like. :D

I tried to run the polyreducer script once on the high-poly file that you uploaded yesterday and it considerably reduced the poly count but on the other side removed some parts of your mesh. I cannot build anything with blender but you could try to do it and run polyreducer once and then repair the missing parts in the reduced mesh. Not sure if that is a practicable solution though.