DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Speaker specs

Walrus

So I got talking to Donnato about earbuds and realized I know nothing about what the different specs on speakers mean. And since i might go get new computer speakers soon I thought I better ask. So what on earth do Frequency response and Impedance and THs and driver size have to do with me getting good sound out of Skyrim and Fallout? 

Frequency response is the range of frequency the speakers are capable of reproducing. Humans can hear a range from as low as 12 hz, (under ideal circumstances) to a high of 20,000 hz. Subwoofers aren't heard, so much as 'felt'.....  (hence the "sub" part of the name, for "sub-sonic", or below the range of human hearing) Keep in mind, that speaker size determines what range it operates 'best' at. One speaker trying to do the full range, isn't going to sound as good as multiple speakers, that reproduce segments of that range. (co-axial, tri-axial, etc. just refers to the number of speakers on each channel.)

Driver  size is the size of the magnet the 'drives' the cone, that actually produces the sound. The larger, the more power can be ran thru it, and the louder it gets.

Impedance: Measure of the resistance across a speakers leads. Usually they are either 4, or 8 ohm. Amps are rated by watts of output power, and speaker impedance plays a role in calculating output power coming into the speaker. Amps will tall you what impedance speakers they are rated for. (and work best with.) Of course, you probably simply have on-board sound.... so, amps aren't even really going to be an issue. Just gotta know what max output power of your sound solution is, and get a good set of speakers that are rated for a bit more. (a bit of leeway is NEVER a bad thing. :) )

I think most PC speakers have their own amp built in, as PC sound cards really don't put out a lot of power. Don't feel that you have to go for the big numbers though, 30-40 watts gets PLENTY loud when you are sitting pretty much right on top of them.

Go someplace where you can actually LISTEN to the various speakers. See which ones ya like best. Small speakers won't produce good bass, so, if you like bass, get at least a three piece set. (subwoofer)

• Upvote 1