DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

HELP! Screen problems.

Walrus

So when I first moved in my new place (literaly the first night) I got asked to fix a computer.

I of course said yes. Bad mistake.

I noticed all the signs of a virus and so I reinstalled Windows on the computer. After many updates and driver downloads, I thought I had it all done.

NOPE.

The is now going all funky on me. Sometimes it's just a few lines flitting back and forth. (It is like an entire row of pixels just moving rapidly back and forth) Sometimes it makes complex wave patterns across the whole screen. Now the weird part to me is it seem to be several things.

I replaced the VGA cord with one of mine that I know works. Same things were happening.

Moving the plug around made the waves worse.

So we bought the same screen but new. Same problem. No waves this time though. So I think the plug in the back of the last one was broken.

Now It's just the lines and they are only there with the computer i fixed. My laptop doesn't produce them.

The only thing I can think of is I had to replace the thermal compound. But i have never had problems like this before. Any advice guys?

Jeez Walrus i wish I knew more. If you think it`s a bug .. maybe...DL MS security essentials and burn it to disc and run it on the problem mech...?  Otherwise you may have a combo problem related to vid.

EDIT: Clean everything...check all conections .. blow out sockets and plugs...look for corrosion...ya know...the usual..

Edited by donnato

Just to be sure I have this straight.. You replaced both the monitor and the electric cord or connection cord between monitor and computer and your graphics on screen is still messed up?

First thing would be get a couple cans of computer duster air and clean out the inside of the box.

If it has a graphics card make sure if it has a fan that the fan turns easily if its off or turns at normal speed when turned on.

If the graphics is built into the motherboard and you are able to put a graphics card on it and disable the onboard graphics, do that.

From all indications you have a fried graphics card...

Is this a name brand computer? If so what model is it? With onboard graphics you'll need to be able to get in the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics so that you can add an external card. And depending on what type of power supply you might be limited..... If there was so much dust inside that it's shorted out the graphics there's a chance that there may be other areas in a weakened condition...... Specially since you said something about the connector possibly being loose. If its on the motherboard you may be looking at a lot more trouble than its worth. Cheap graphics card would be the easiest way to find out without investing a lot of money