DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Whats wrong with my computer now?

WillieSea

So, after 6.5 years, my beast gave up the ghost. Its a good thing I have a lot of computers around the house so I could ask anyone up on the technology what they think I should get for new parts.

I ruled out the video card by trying two different ones I have, one I know works for sure.

The fans all turn on, but no bios display or signal at all.

I was playing FO3 when the computer just turned off. No flashy displays or anything, just off like the power went out. I have a 500 watt Antec power display, its also 6.5 years old. Perhaps it could have gone out, but there was no smoke or anything. The newer video card I have does take a lot of power, its a Radeon HD 6950 and takes two power cables. So it may be possible it overdid the power supply.

So I am open to ideas for what you think the problem is.

I have two SATA drives, so the new Mobo needs to have ports for them.

I have the Radeon HD 6950, but I am up for another video card since that is the old video port style.

I have a full size case which should handle any size of Mobo.

The 500 watt Antec power supply, which I probably need a higher powered one for better video cards.

New CPU and memory. I want the best memory, and a medium range CPU would be fine, Intel if possible. I don't need a lot of CPU power, but I do want good memory that is error free and fast.

I am open to any questions or comments. I would like to order the parts later this week.

Open up the case, disconnect all the peripherals from the system board, see if it will power up.

If not, remove the RAM, try again.

If not, remove all add-on cards, try again.

If you still don't get at least some beeps out of it, system board and/or processor are toast.

As all your fans power up, I don't think the power supply is the issue.

Yeah, I am looking for a bit cheaper. I don't need lots of power or performance. My 2.13GHz Intel cpu has been a work horse. Its the video card that gives the great gaming and fast memory.

So cheap on the mobo and CPU, more on the GPU and memory. I doubt I need a lot of memory, I am just trying to be cost effective.

So, following the advice from HeyYou, I removed the sound card and the two GB of new memory I got in the last year. The BIOS complained the first time it started up, but at least I got some to the BIOS.

New CPU installed

Chassis Intruded !

Fatal Error System Halted.

I then put my big Video card back in, hooked everything up, and it booted fine. Windows started and now the beast has been brought back to life. Now to determine if it was the memory or the sound card causing the problems.

I am still looking to get a new Mobo, CPU and memory upgrade.

My video card uses the PCI Express 2.0 slot. I think there are faster video slots out there, so a new mobo would mean a new video card too. I prefer Radeon. Any ideas?

So, my first test, I put the 2GB of new Patriot memory back in and the computer boots fine.

I put the Sound card back in, and the computer boots fine.

So, I wonder if, because its been so many years, that the boards and plugs just needed to be reseated?

Seems odd, but I will keep my eyes open for any other issues.

Do you mean a large one on the bottom (or top depending on how it's positioned)? If so, then that is a problem because that's the one that pulls air into the PSU to cool its components. I'm guessing that the internal one is used to blow that air over the components to help keep them from overheating. Either way, a new PSU might be order because 6.5 years is rather long for one to be in service.

@Jac - Their are two fans on the Power supply unit. The one inside pushes air over the unit to the outside. The outside fan would probably help with that I am guessing when it starts getting hot? I still get a small puff of air out the exterior vent of the PSU.

@HeyYou - I am not sure its dead or just turns on when it gets hot. :shrug: But I probably should get a new PSU since its probably a bit underpowered for the graphics card. I like the PSU because I can plug in the type of cables I need in my case.

I see Antec has a gamer 900 Watt for $130: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Current-HCG-900-BRONZE-Supply/dp/B0046L2KQ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1N0GJDVJB8KIL&coliid=IWR7HO84WUUWR

And they have a Gold Pro 850 watt for $187: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Current-HCG-900-BRONZE-Supply/dp/B0046L2KQ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1N0GJDVJB8KIL&coliid=IWR7HO84WUUWR

Any comments on these two PSU's?

@triplesixes - I don't know, $200 seems a lot for just a CPU.

I use a 750 and it's still more power than what I need, WS. I'd go with at least a 600 or 650 W for your setup; anything more is likely overkill. Check the power rating for your video card just to be sure. Get one that has at least that much power and then add in 100 W for everything else.

There is a 750 watt for $99. It may be over kill for my current setup, but I buy for future setups if possible on certain parts. This would be one of them. :lol:

My current video card requires this:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended. (read as required.)

I like Corsair power supplies here and have never had one fail.. There tech support is outstanding as well..

I use the TX model line here but you can look at the GS line.. Both are for gaming systems.

You can look at them http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units.html

That's corsair's site so you can get specs and their prices and see what pricing you can get elsewhere

Edited by Arion

Keep in mind, that the average power supply gradually declines over time, so there is a real possibility that your 500 watt p/s won't put out 500 watts any more, and your vid card is struggling to get what it needs. Tends to make for some really strange behavior. :) Especially in high demand situations. (playing games like Oblivion, or Skyrim, for instance. :) )

Why would I go with Corsair over Antec? It seems the Antec series allows more cables to be plugged in for the type of power I need in the case for my power hungry units.

Some of the Corsair look hard-wired as well, where I would have to get cable end changers if, for example, there are not enough SATA plug ends on the PSU.

But its hard to tell, since the images do not show the 'back' of the unit where the cables come out.

For those that have the Corsair, perhaps you could tell me about the units?

When I plop a hundred bucks down, I want a unit I will be happy with.