DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Mars One Mission!

Emma1992

So here's the deal, apparently there is a dutch non-profit company that is looking to send people to mars by 2022 and landing on mars 7 months later in the year 2023. leaving close to a decade for any space craft advancements to get there sooner. The first launch will take place either late this year (Time is running out) or early next year based on their "road map to mars," that will include building materials for the Mars Rover (A.K.A Curiosity) to build a suitable habitat for humans. There will be an estimated 3 launches of this kind leading up to the launch and transport of Humans to Mars. The current estimated cost is right around the ball park of 6 billion US dollars, for a total of 13 launches over the course of the next few decades, I assume this estimate to grow over the course of time as technology advances.

Now as for the "Marsnautes," they will be selected volunteers, 2 male and 2 female passengers per flight with 10 total flights. In other words that 40 Humans to touch down on Mars. You might be thinking about how they will be getting home by now, right? Here's the hitch, they aren't coming home. In fact they will be going home, yes those 40 people will be inhabitants to Mars. As per reasons to the flight and colonization, reasons are currently unknown but one can only assume (from media outlets anyway) that it is just another leap for mankind.

If in fact this all falls into place, this could very well be the biggest turning point in Mankind's history, right along the lines of the industrial revolution or nuclear fusion. At least I think so, looking at it from a strictly scientific aspect of course. Not only will we have successfully placed a small colony on another planet, but the technological advancements could prove to be the biggest leap in space exploration and space travel. Not including the off chance we have of actually terraforming a planet.

Please feel free to discuss!

Source:  http://www.mars-one.com/en/

This would unfortunately fail simply because of the volunteer part. Astronauts train for years just to orbit the Earth a couple times. The knowledge you would need to have to run a Martian base is NOT something they are leaving to 20 yr olds found on the internet.

I think its a pretty optimistic goal. After the last shuttle lands, what are they gonna do for a sustainable food/water source? Waste management? Medical care?

I think technology has a long way to go before this is will work. Plus.... the real estate leaves much to be desired, I think I'd go crazy living in a little pod like that! Plus.... no TESA! Pfffft.... count me out!

This would unfortunately fail simply because of the volunteer part. Astronauts train for years just to orbit the Earth a couple times. The knowledge you would need to have to run a Martian base is NOT something they are leaving to 20 yr olds found on the internet.

They will undoubtedly have thousands upon thousands of applicants, which they will screen for the best fit.

I think its a pretty optimistic goal. After the last shuttle lands, what are they gonna do for a sustainable food/water source? Waste management? Medical care?

I think technology has a long way to go before this is will work. Plus.... the real estate leaves much to be desired, I think I'd go crazy living in a little pod like that! Plus.... no TESA! Pfffft.... count me out!

Logically they will/are/have thought of all this. Obviously this one snip-it of information in the post isn't all the details.

For starters, Mars is great for growing plants. The dirt is rich in minerals, plenty of CO2 and sunlight. It has been studied for many years, and corn is actually rather easy to grow given mars's conditions.

Wast management will probably be along the same lines as the ISS. A system to extract water and other minerals from waste and recycle them.

Medical care is a trickier one, but that would be the same for any expedition, even back in the old days. You just have to make due, and try your best not to get hurt or sick. Hardly a reason to halt advancement though.

A lot of things involving space travel have been suspended because of technological advancement. If we send people now, we can do it better in 5 years, so lets wait. But in 5 years, you can do it better and more efficiently in another 5. So when do you actually DO something? Someone has to take the initiative and just get out there and start the process.

Isn't this how the Reavers happened in Firefly? :rofl: Count me out, I don't do anything that requires fallible technology to breathe. XD

Thought they were created due to an adverse reaction to a special chemical that was released in the air to cause people to be calm. Most became so calm they just stopped moving and died, while some became violent and primal.

_echo, on 22 Aug 2013 - 9:08 PM, said:

For starters, Mars is great for growing plants. The dirt is rich in minerals, plenty of CO2 and sunlight. It has been studied for many years, and corn is actually rather easy to grow given mars's conditions.

Ya I'm going to need your sources on that _echo. Reduced pressure, reduced sunlight, radiation, micro-gravity and a different atmosphere are big problems to overcome.

• 3 weeks later...

_echo, on 22 Aug 2013 - 9:08 PM, said:

Ya I'm going to need your sources on that _echo. Reduced pressure, reduced sunlight, radiation, micro-gravity and a different atmosphere are big problems to overcome.

Basically it boils down to the low gravity helping with water retention in the soil, meaning less water needed to grow crops. An adapted atmosphere is needed, so green-houses will need to be set up, but they don't have to mimic earth perfectly in order to work just as well.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/mars-farming/#ixzz0wynVo8s2

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273117710004849

Edited by _echo

• 2 months later...

Seriously? I have to agree with echo here - its not anymore about what is feasible and possible but about get out there and do it. By now we have gathered so much information but we dont know anything at all about actually doing it. Explorers on earth where not prepared for different climates and living conditions either and they still just did it - many died of course but others learned from those errors and improved the next attempt.

I would actually volunteer immediately - its not about perfection at this stage but about getting out there finally. We still havnt even tried to set anything up on the moon which would be a starting point. Trying to simulate on earth will just give us so much information to delay further instead of actually having people trying it.

Personally, as someone who grew up with his mother working at Kennedy Space Center for NASA during the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Shuttle programs, I have to say in the past 40+ years since we set foot on the moon that I am dismayed that we have not already had a moon base and possibly a colony. We got to the moon in less than 10 years.... If we'd continued with the space program and built a moon base, all the knowledge that we would have gained from that would have already put us on Mars.