DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Importing an animated Nif into Blender

Sigurd Stormhand

OK - Today's question:

How do you import an animated Nif, life a static or activator, into Blender and preserve the animation.

Specifically - I'm looking at merging the various parts of the vanilla ship together and I'm stuck on the mast - the furled sales are supposed to swing back and forth, but importing the nif into Blender seems to strip the animation out and I cannot find instructions on this anywhere online.

I don't want to edit the animated parts, just the rest of the nif, to be able to merge it with the other parts of the ship.

Any and all help appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Can't you just copy over the nodes controlling animation from the original nif after you create your modified version? If you haven't changed the position of anything animated, or the names and name positions in the string index, it seems like it should be that simple. Otherwise you might have to do some manual editing of the controllers and string index to make everything spiffy again. I've copied a few animated objects into static-nif mashups, and it really wasn't hard to do, just tedious to make sure all the references were pointing to the right things.

The controller can't be mapped to the parent - apparently. If you've been editing meshes in nifskope that's not the same as importing them into Blender and then exporting them again. Everything relating to the Controller is gone on export, it's wiped out, and the blocks have been reordered.

Besides which, as much as I appreciate you attempt to help, this isn't a solution to my problem - how to import, edit, and export a nif whilst maintaining existing animation. I'm going to combine various nifs together at the node level - import three nifs and then reduce the number of niNodes on export. That will mean the blocks will be completely re-ordered, so I doubt you method would work in that case, unless I've missed what you're suggesting doing completely.