DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CK Basics: Lesson #1

DarkRider

I'm diving into modding first-hand on a very large quest mod so I'd just like to give you a big thanks before I dive into this tutorial. I'm getting the gist of it but this will help me put order to what I've learned so far!
Again, thank you and I'm thoroughly impressed that you keep this thread monitored even after 3 years!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright there we go.

Okay so for the homework.
http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/521-sky-basic-lessen-1/

The bottom floors a little hard to take screenies of. The chairs by the fireplace are at the table joined with two more to make more walking room with the bar where it's at. Pelts on the walls were scaled so they didn't consume the walls or clip into stuff. Top floors been split into two small bedrooms. Do you need in game shots as well?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy, all.

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun a bit here; I haven't received any correspondence about officially enrolling in the course.  But I've read the introduction and gone through Lesson 1, and I'd like to make the most of the time I have during Christmas break.

bIJLrwN.pngoV1FSx3.pngCZDKtk0.pngnVNJy7Z.pngrMu67vA.pngcQfaISZ.png

Thank you for putting this together and staying active!  I have just started this morning, so I have not finished the lesson, let alone the homework.  I also will have to learn how to take and post screenshots, so it might be awhile.  That said, I think having the feedback and needing to get homework "approved" before moving on to the next lesson will be invaluable.

At the moment, I am stuck on adding the chairs.  I do not seem to have UpperChair01L or 01R or really any Upper anything in World Objects/Furniture/Furniture

I have double-, triple-, and quadruple-checked to make sure I am in the right place (and specifically not in "Static"), but when sorted alphabetically, I have ThroneWinterhold01 and then WalkThroughWallMarker . . . no "U" of any kind.  Should I just use a different chair, like CommonChair01L and R?  Or should I keep trying to find the UpperChair?  I feel really stupid, since obviously everyone else has been able to find it.  This is making me think that despite all my double-etc.-checking I am somehow looking in the wrong spot.

Thank you!

Welcome, RavenCorbie!

For screenshots, I use Fraps. It saves screenshots in a separate folder so you don't have to constantly copy and paste in Paint. Plus, it only screenshots the render window (at least, it does for me) no no need to crop your submissions. Although, you might need to tweak some settings if you need a picture of your cell or object windows.

Sorry you're having trouble finding the right furniture. That's the nice thing about homework and practice, though: it lets us figure out problems and work through them. I'm sure you'll get the hang of navigating the object window.

BCM_00,

Thank you.  I will use Fraps.  And maybe I will try to get a screenshot of the object window, since that is where I am having problems.

Thank you for your comments on my furniture problem, too.  I don't have any problems with figuring things out and working through them, so normally I would completely agree with you.  But there are really only two possible answers to my dilemma:  either I am looking at the wrong list (that is, it is NOT in World Objects/Furniture/Furniture) or for some reason, I don't have the "Upper" furniture.  We're not talking about a math problem or something that isn't placed right.  I am reading a LIST.  If I can't figure out how to read a list, I have much bigger problems than making mods.  And, just in case I wasn't reading the list right, I made sure that I had the "right" list open and I put the cursor on the top line and used the arrow keys to read each entry individually -- in case it wasn't alphabetical or that it wasn't ChairUpper or something instead of UpperChair.  Either I am looking in the wrong spot OR it isn't there.  At this point, those really are the only two options, and I suspect the latter because I do have other types of furniture and chairs in the list, and I have checked other places (though not as thoroughly) and there are no chairs of any kind in those lists (avoiding Static, per the instructions) , AND I trust the instructor (pardon the run-on ) .

So, if I am looking in the wrong spot, I need to know the right spot.  And the main post says it is World Objects/Furniture/Furniture, which is where I have been looking, so if that isn't where it is, I would expect the instructor or someone else who did find it to clarify . . . and even then, I'd wonder why the instructor took so much time to deliberately explain that it was in World Objects/Furniture/Furniture and NOT Static/furniture if it was actually some place completely different.  I could also check all the other possible locations as thoroughly as I have checked World Objects/Furniture/Furniture, but I am choosing to trust the instructor instead.  I am also thinking of uploading a screenshot in case even though I selected World Objects and then Furniture and then Furniture I ended up in some other list . . . multiple times, which also does not seem likely.

If I am looking in the RIGHT spot and it really isn't there, I need to know how to get it, and I have NO IDEA even where to start with that.  Is there a reason that it didn't load everything it is supposed to load?  Is my Skyrim GAME missing these chairs, too?  Do I need to reinstall the CK even though I just installed it yesterday (I had previously had it installed on a different computer ) ?  Is it a bug?  Is there a fix to the bug?  Should I not worry about it and just use a different chair?  Did I miss an instruction and I was also supposed to load one or more of the DLC as data because the chair is in the Dawnguard esm instead?  Being completely new to this, I cannot answer these questions.  I don't know how important it is to have this specific furniture.  Only the instructor or someone more experienced with the CK can tell me if it's something I need to address or something I can ignore unless/until I really desperately want that furniture for a particular mod.

I think I am sounding defensive, and I guess I am because it seemed like you were saying I am one of those people who expect everyone else to solve problems that they should be able to solve on their own with just a little effort.  I can understand that, though, because there ARE a lot of people who do that, and if I was in that situation, I think you were extremely diplomatic, which I appreciate.  At the same time, though, I can only open up World Objects/Furniture/Furniture and read through the whole list without finding any Upper Furniture so many times before realizing that it is a fruitless endeavor without more information on what specifically I am doing wrong.  Hence the long explanation :).  I'm glad you responded.

I should also note that I am willing to wait to get the right information.  It will come when it comes; I know that people are busy and I'm not expecting anyone to drop everything to help me.  In the meantime, I will play Skyrim!  With mods!

Thanks again!

This problem of yours has bothered me enough to close blender and UE and download the CK. :D I didn't have the Upper Chair either! But by clicking once on the main "Furniture" (World Objects/Furniture) then going up to the filter and typing "upp" LO! there be the Upper Chairs!

Upper_chair.thumb.PNG.a3ef6a61c31c77a276

Hope that works for you.

• Upvote 1

BCM_00,

Thank you.  I will use Fraps.  And maybe I will try to get a screenshot of the object window, since that is where I am having problems.

Thank you for your comments on my furniture problem, too.  I don't have any problems with figuring things out and working through them, so normally I would completely agree with you.  But there are really only two possible answers to my dilemma:  either I am looking at the wrong list (that is, it is NOT in World Objects/Furniture/Furniture)

Upper class "furniture" are in WorldObjects/Furniture/CLUTTER/UpperClass. Entering upper in the filter box in the object window and then clicking on *All down the list will reveal all of the upper content too (among other things). There is no recipe related to how to find stuff in the ck; searching it by yourself is the best way to learn your way into it.  The people who made it have a logic of their own. :)

• Upvote 1

Okay, thank you!  I do read things literally and I follow directions literally especially when learning something new.  Actually, this is quite a relief, since it means there isn't something bizarrely wrong with my CK!  Just my weird quirky literal-mindedness getting in the way again.  That said, you might want to update the original thread with some of these alternate ways of finding it in case you run into someone else who does that -- I know there aren't many, but there might be a few.  Obviously no one else ran into this or if they did, they didn't post.  I thought I was losing my mind!  Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

Here is my homework and extra credit!

The Big Picture:

Top View:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-top1_zps3m0yr4hx.jpg

Front View:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-whole-front_zpsmfjfnfkw.jpg

Back View:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-whole-back_zps8f8veqci.jpg

The First Floor:

Fireplace Area: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-firstfloor-fireplace_zpsgnfx1xev.jpg

Whole Bar:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-firstfloor-bar1_zpspbbu1u9e.jpg

Bar near the door:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-firstfloor-bar2_zps0suqyegb.jpg

Stairs:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-firstfloor-stairs_zpsxu2qfubz.jpg

The Second Floor:

View of the Whole Second Floor, from the back:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-secondfloor-whole_zpswxuitrar.jpg

The Dining Area:

From the center back corner:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest-secondfloor-dining1_zps5zzj1xeq.jpg

From the center front corner:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-secondfloor-dining2_zpskh4vywmt.jpg

The Bedroom:

Left (back) bed and table:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-secondfloor-leftbed_zpscwmtxpkk.jpg

Right (front) bed and table:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/ravencorbie/Skyrim Modding/SacredRest1-secondfloor-rightbed_zpstr99vvag.jpg

---

I am pretty sure I have everything I need, plus some extra, but please let me know if I am missing something or if something looks wonky.  Thanks!

Edit:  I found out that two of the upper floor pelts were conflicting, so I moved the back end one to match the front end one, and then noticed that the chairs were too low and the blue feet were hidden by the pelts, so I fixed that.  I can add an updated picture if desired :).

Edited by RavenCorbie
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response Raven I was out on holiday. Your first homework looks good you can head to Lesson #2 make sure when placing furniture against a wall that you only use the version with a single blue activator node on the side opposite the wall; you don't want an activator node in the wall :ok: