DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CK Basics: Lesson #2

DarkRider

Much improved but still a couple sticking points. It's hard to tell on your images but it appears like your navmesh stretches outside the floor area in a couple places, you can't put navmesh outside the playable area or NPCs will collide with the walls, even push through and out to try and walk there; that can cause crashing. Also, the navmesh cannot go under furniture, you have to go around static furniture. This could be an easy fix, just delete the triangles under the furniture.

clipping_zps8e8f6250.jpg

At the top of the stairs you have a single break in your navmesh, you can't have a yellow line crossing the path NPCs should walk. :)

break_zps30c5062d.jpg

Make these changes and you can move on to Lesson #3! :ok:

• 1 month later...

Pretty good Brady, your navmesh has a couple places that could use tweaking, some clusters of nodes that could be reduced. Also you meshed some narrow passes that look too small to actually fit an NPC, Bethsoft recommends only navmeshing the navigable spaces characters can reach and dont worry about pathing tight corners and gaps where no one needs to walk. :good:

• Upvote 1

Pretty good Brady, your navmesh has a couple places that could use tweaking, some clusters of nodes that could be reduced. Also you meshed some narrow passes that look too small to actually fit an NPC, Bethsoft recommends only navmeshing the navigable spaces characters can reach and dont worry about pathing tight corners and gaps where no one needs to walk. :good:

I am glad you are weren't satisfied, because I wasn't either. Regarding the narrow passages, I completely forgot that this was the very reason why I put L/R chairs there... :nuke:

Anyway, here is my second attempt. I am still not 100% happy, but I can't quite put my finger on it what it is.

glG0s9p.png

PLESbhr.png

3AeMZKh.png

It's coming along Brady, it looks like your mesh clips into the walls and some furniture in a few places, you don't need to get it that close to things, focus on what feels like the natural places people will stand. If you get the path close to the chair markers, the NPCs will be able to sit without making the mesh snug up against the chairs. Also seems like your nodes are concentrated near the edges and your mesh stretching to reach the same node repeatedly, It's okay to have nodes move through the room, take another look at the ref images in the lesson and also the addendum with more on pathing. You're almost there, just needs a little more practice. :good:

• 1 month later...

You don't want them to overlap, if they do you can probably delete a couple nodes and use a single triangle to cover that space.

As for how close to furniture, if you think of how close we get to furniture, we don't press up near it to walk. You just want to path the areas where characters can walk or stand, don't need to cover the floor wall to wall :ok:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Rob, +5 for the addition of the loft. Your navmesh looks decent, just double check that its not clipping the walls, looks a little close. Remember you want to path the navigable space, most characters wont walk or stand right against the wall. You can head to lesson #3. :ok:

• 2 months later...

Anytime you add a havocked object like Food to another havoc object like a plate, you have to consider how these objects will relate once havoc is applied in the CK or in game. Usually, havocked objects will push against one another and you may find your food springing across the room as a result. To prevent this, double click on your food objects to open the ref edit dialog box. There you will find a flag called “Don’t Havoc Settle”. Check the box next to this flag and click Ok to set it. This will keep your food on the plates or table where it belongs.

The rattling is caused by havocked items. Make sure you check the "Don't Havoc Settle" flag and make sure your leaving some space between objects to accommodate their collision. :good:

Looks good otherwise, you can head to Lesson #3 when you have your havocked items sorted :ok:

• 2 months later...

Alright everything again is loaded:

Screenies for this are marked lessen 2. Clutter is my weak spot, never really know how to fill a place.

I do have a question on nav meshing. Is it better to do big marks, or small? I've had mixed answered from other tutorials. Some saying bo as big as you want, like filling an empty room with just two triangles. Others say always go small no matter what. Does it matter much? I mean if you have a large flat area, can it be big? I'd think small would be ideal if its an uneven landscape.

If you have an open space you can use fewer large triangles. Where some folks get into trouble is running large paths under static objects which is incorrect, or not having enough nodes at the end of the path to get around a narrower/smaller section. As long as you avoid those things you're fine. Your homework looks great you can head to Lesson #3 :good: