DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CK Basics: Lesson #2

DarkRider

Meant to get screenshots of my homework up last week but it didn't happen, sorry. I didn't take any in-game pics; these are all from the CK. I'm probably in the minority when I say that I found navmeshing to be rather fun and actually kind of relaxing. It must have something to do with the geometry. Man, I'm a nerd. ANYWAY, without further ado, here are my cropped screenshots of the navmeshing. Hopefully, you can also see some of the clutter I added (although, looking at everyone else's nicely decorate houses, maybe I should have added more clutter).

CK Tutorial Lesson 2 - Navmesh 0 CK Tutorial Lesson 2 - NavmeshCK Tutorial Lesson 2 - NavmeshCK Tutorial Lesson 2 - Navmesh

And here are the two containers I made. I deliberately set the barrel of jazbay grapes to respawn. I think I had in mind that this would be the farmhouse of a vineyard owner or something. Even though there are no vineyards in Skyrim...

CK Tutorial Lesson 2 - New ContainerCK Tutorial Lesson 2 - New Container

It's not very visible in the screenshots, but I did add a farmhouse door and several books to the bookshelf. A bowl of jazbay grapes on the bar should also count towards extra credit, if we're still keeping track of that.

• 2 months later...

Attached files in archive to save screen space. Sheogorath's Den is taking shape in all it's Zany glory! The Lord of Madness's vacation home is still slightly empty, but there's plenty of erotica, cheese, and spare WABBAJACKs to go around! I might need to switch out those boring furs for something else, like more CHEESE! Or the head of his dear friend Pelagius...

CKBasicsLesson2.rar

• 2 months later...

Hi. I think everything in my homework is there. In some of the screenshots, it will seem like I deleted some things, but they are actually hidden so that they weren't in the way. Everything from the previous lesson is still present. The bookshelf has books and clutter and has a lute leaned up against the side. I had some weird issues when placing them. When I would try to stack them, sometimes when I pressed 'F' they would go right through the books below them sometimes. On the upstairs table, I added a downsized glazed bowl with an apple in it, a glazed cup, and a couple bottles of mead. I didn't add much more than that because,being upstairs, it felt like the table was more for having a drink while reading a book. chest container is right near the stairs where you can still get to it. All upstairs and downstairs has navmesh. The shelf under the stairs has dishes that dont look neatly stacked. This is because I used the havok animation tool to reduce the chance of things flying when the stack is disturbed. I dont know if the 'don't havok settle' keeps the others in place or not if the player takes one from the stack. The extra credit stuff has also been done. The second custom container is the dresser upstairs. The entry door has been added. There is mead on the upstairs table, on the fireplace ledge, and on the bar shelves. The only food item I found in 'Ingredient' was charred skeever hide and I put that on one of the plates on the table. I also added some food from the magic>potions section to the shelf by the bar. There is wine on the bar and on the shelves. I had to hide the food shelf and its contents to get a decent screenshot. I think that covers everything. :) 

The screenshots for this lesson are labled Lesson2 : 

@DukeCybran: :candle: "I know the PrintScrn Method - but that makes a screenshot of the whole screen, including my task bar and my desktop, both of wich I don't really want to share publicly. Might try using Fraps, thanks ^_^ "

:2cents: If you don't want the task bar to show, you can click on the window / object so it is focused and use ALT+Print Screen and it will not show background.

I use clipmate but  paid $30 for it, so I can crop exactly what I want; but if thats not an option for you try ALT+Print Screen.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty good effort, navmesh just takes a little practice. I’m not seeing a clean path up the ladder, you may need to reposition the nodes so the path is better defined. You just need two nodes and the top, two at the bottom to make a clear connection, but reposition the ones you’ve already place so that it all connects clean.

The nav mesh shows NPCs where they can walk/stand. It’s not necessary to take it right up to the edge of things. That would save you some time too as it’s less to cover :D

Tweak the path on the ladder, and you’re ready to move on, nice work! :good:

20 hours ago, DarkRider said:

Pretty good effort, navmesh just takes a little practice. I’m not seeing a clean path up the ladder, you may need to reposition the nodes so the path is better defined. You just need two nodes and the top, two at the bottom to make a clear connection, but reposition the ones you’ve already place so that it all connects clean.

The nav mesh shows NPCs where they can walk/stand. It’s not necessary to take it right up to the edge of things. That would save you some time too as it’s less to cover :D

Tweak the path on the ladder, and you’re ready to move on, nice work! :good:

I've added an additional image to my earlier album showing navmesh on the ladder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I completed this lesson during the Christmas holidays and I'm now kicking myself that I didn't take screens then...as I now have a new computer due to the old one dying. I did manage to locate some of the images I did...but unfortunately the creation kit file that I saved from the computer is prior to doing the navmeshing(which I know I will have to redo). What I was wondering are there enough screens here to proceed to the next level or do you need more with the Navmesh on them? As you can see I only have the one shot of the Navmesh...

Thanks

Pen

NavMesh.jpg

under the stairs.jpg

additional clutter bedroom area.jpg

additional clutter downstairs.jpg

additional container and books.jpg

additional place books.jpg

bar clutter.jpg

door.jpg

extra food.jpg

initial places place general clutter.jpg

lights above fireplace.jpg

You’ll need to redo the navmesh and take screens. In the one shot you have there are some errors, you have sections of navmesh that aren’t connected. It should be one solid piece top to bottom. The rest is fine so once you fix up the navmesh you can move ahead :ok:

• 8 months later...

@DarkRider

Okay, here we go. Had some trouble with the NavMesh but got it figured out. Here is assignment 2 with extra credit. Let me know if I'm missing any pictures.

Dinner time

SE2A.thumb.PNG.3f49b74e7b4c3b7dacdecddbcaf89e7f.PNG

Updated bar (looked empty)SE2B.thumb.PNG.7839a479306b1d9c504873af6c3552a2.PNG

Custom Chest (lockbox)

SE2C.thumb.PNG.372bb96da502b6b2bf9beffce1ab33d4.PNG

Armor in upstairs room

SE2D.thumb.PNG.2d37ae7478d40cc66de03a629befe6c3.PNG

Bookshelves

SE2E.thumb.PNG.db5412727c84359f4e31ca876a1863a4.PNG

Navmesh. Looks a bit messy but it works and has zero faults.

SE2F.thumb.PNG.fda12373290589b0ed1fb9977dbbea9c.PNGSE2G.thumb.PNG.4cda5a186db7e11d390edc2db734b347.PNGSE2H.thumb.PNG.cb5176ffebe96f38d1833cce6a4c3ce4.PNG

Door

SE2I.thumb.PNG.393fa1bee8c29e9fd95d080b8b39cbe8.PNG

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I got everything, but if not let me know and I'll fix it. 

Thanks in advance,

-Dawulv

Edited by dawulv

Not too shabby Dawulv! Navmesh just takes a little practice and it’s not a bad first effort. The section on the steps is quite good. In general you probably have more nodes than needed, fewer larger triangles will take less time. You have a single node on the top floor connected to a starburst of other nodes, that’s not clean pathing. You should delete that center node and make cleaner connections to fill in that space. :good:

Once you fix that section, you’re ready for Lesson #3! :cavalier:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Nicely done Punk! It appears the navmesh is clipping a bit at the bottom of the ladder and NPCs could become stuck. Pull that one node out a bit more for a cleaner turn, then you’re ready for Lesson #3 and the Credit Challenges :good:

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:44 AM, DarkRider said:

..... Pull that one node out a bit more for a cleaner turn, then you’re ready for Lesson #3 and the Credit Challenges :good:

Yeah... I found the Credit Challenges last weekend so I've been prepping myself all week lol ... I've also been doing "the Rocky" to get ready for 3. lol  If I'm Rocky, everything around me is those library stairs (sorry Ranger MD 'n Vila...[<---- Dogs]... in advance and also covering my bases lol) But... before I completely forget n get caught up in L3/CC1, I wanted to ask a few questions:

1. I'm not sure if you could see the actual triangles going up the staircase very well or not but hoping it's visable enough to let me know if I did that in the best way possible or if I only managed to put more work into it by thinking like my NPCs and walking them up the stairs... If it's the best way possible, I'll keep doing it that way without second thought.  However if you can share with me a better/more efficient way to navmesh stairs I'd love to try it out while I keep practicing. 
  2. Regarding the trap-door: can it be placed in an area that's fully navmeshed or does it have to be placed without any tri's underneath it? 
  3. Would I be 'docked' credits if I upload one or two of my own static creations or another open resource from a buddy I've been kind'a working with on some projects? (nothing huge/ or concussion-inducing lol  just smaller to medium sized statics...)

Hopefully that is acceptable math and (especially) geometry --- done without a calculator/computer/smart person) --- have always been my Achilles's.  'n I'm not talk'n about the hot Brad Pitt kind.  lol  I'd hope that beautiful slab of manly bacon wouldn't keep torturing me with numbers.

fixed navmesh (a).png

fixed navmesh (b).png

On 5/30/2019 at 12:46 PM, Ashenfire said:

:woohoo: Go TEAM!

Honestly if it weren't for my career background... I'd probably be completely unable to become a modder.  I know it doesn't seem like Navmesh has much to do with tattooing lol  but, when someone comes in the shop asking for a piece on his rib-cage that equals out to be a 20(something)-point star because he's majoring to become a Geometry teacher / eventually professor at UofM... I best figure all that out right-quick!  :no: I must be magic... really...

• Love This 1
  • Funny 1