DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CK Basics: Credit Challenges

DarkRider

Credit.png

Duncan04.jpg

Credit Challenge 01: The Underbuilding

Value: 10pts

By now you should have completed Lesson #1-2 at least and have learned how to add and link doors, create new cells, add NavMesh pathing, and clutter them, so for this Credit Challenge you need to add a 5x4 underbuilding to your tutorial interior. You are free to clutter design this area to suit whatever vision you have for your project provided you use all of the pieces listed below as required.

Prerequisite:

You must complete Lessons #1-2 and be able to create a teleport link between two load doors to attempt this challenge. [if you don't meet this last requirement, wait until after Lesson #3 to begin.]

---------------------------------------

To begin, from WorldObjects>Door add FarmBTrapdoor02 to your existing interior and adjust your navmesh pathing to accommodate its addition.

CC01_01.jpg

Create a new interior cell, with a unique name, ambient lighting, and owned by the player or player faction, just like we did in Lesson #1 with your first interior cell.

Build a small basement type underbuilding in your new cell using the static farm kit pieces that start with "FarmB".

Clutter your basement using Statics, Furniture, and Containers

For this Credit Challenge you are required to use these pieces:

• FarmBTrapdoor01 x1 (link to FarmBTrapdoor02 in your Interior)

• FarmBWallTrapdoor01 x1

• FarmBWall01 x2

• FarmBWall03 x3

• FarmBMiddle02 x6

• FarmBWall04 x2

• FarmBWall02 x2

• FarmBCorner01 x1

• FarmBCorner02 x1

• FarmBCorner03 x1

• FarmBCorner04 x1

• FarmBColumn01 x4

• CandleHornWall01 x6 (add candle light objects to each candlehorn)

:smarty:Smarty Says: Remember when starting your basement to set the first piece to the "0" point. To build your basement you will need to use Snap to Grid, as we covered in Lesson #1. TIP: Don't rotate kit pieces, align them the way they are.

Once you have the pieces lined up properly, turn off snap to grid to clutter your basement; be creative and thorough!

Don't forget to link your door and add navmesh pathing; make sure to use player safe containers! :ok:

When finished your basement should look like this:

CC01_02.jpg

Post an image of your underbuilding to get credit for your work! XD

• Upvote 2

Credit.png

2011-11-22_00009.jpg

Credit Challenge 02: The Crafted Sidebar

In this credit challenge you will have to design and develop the side porch of the exterior we established in Lesson #3 using some type of crafting materials from under WorldObjects>Furniture. Aside from the crafting component, this challenge is almost completely free form. You might design a chicken coup, or an outdoor eatery, maybe a shrine, smithy or a garden type retreat. There's no wrong answer here, this is an exercise in design and development. That said, students will need to demonstrate a clear plan of action and include some type of interactive component.

Prerequisite:

You must complete Lesson #3 before attempting this Credit Challenge, no exceptions. :bow:

Begin by looking under Furniture for crafting materials or under MoveableStatics for activators you might use in your design. Remember to finish the NavMesh for this porch once you're finished.

CC02_01.jpg

• Upvote 3

Credit.png

2011-11-28_00016.jpg

Credit Challenge 03: The Outbound House

Before attempting this challenge you should have completed lesson #1-4 in our course as you need to have an understanding of working in the exterior and editing the exterior NavMesh. For this challenge we're going to practice those skills we've been learning about editing exterior cells and build an outbuilding behind our tavern/house near the water.

Prerequisite:

You must complete Lesson #4 before attempting this Credit Challenge, no exceptions. :bow:

Begin, from WorldObjects>Static and enter the term shack in the filter field on the object window to isolate the shack kit pieces. Use these shack pieces to build an exterior building in neighboring cell HalfMoonMillExterior02 (Do not rename this cell) near the water and adjust your navmesh pathing to accommodate its addition to the cell. Add a dock and a rowboat to the water leading away from the shack, we can be cluttered as a hunter's shack, or a fisherman's shack, or a tool shed etc. Design your outbound house.

CC03_01.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hey!

I've done both the first challenge and the second challenge. As always, click to watch the full-size image.

The Underbuilding

This basement isn't just a basement. It's a hideout for Talos worshipers. The books are there for their entertainment, to pass the time. The beds are obviously so they can sleep. The tables are for reading or playing games against each other. There's also enough space for them to all eat simultaneously. The barrels contain a food reserve.

Trap door:

1lq2.jpg

The basement:

Entering the basement:

wsmj.jpg

One of the book shelves:

96ow.jpg

The other book shelf with food barrels:

p0kz.jpg

Tables with food:

5md8.jpg

Overview with trap door:

oyze.jpg

NavMesh:

xcw4.jpg

Color Spectrum:

1pcq.jpg

The Crafted Sidebar

To earn the extra money required to support the Talos worshipers, they need to be able to handle more customers. So, the sidebar is used to accommodate more customers. They also do some show cooking and give cooking lessons to stand out from the other taverns.

Sidebar during day:

xcy2.jpg

9wef.jpg

ogwn.jpg

Sidebar during night:

xoei.jpg

8f58.jpg

lwxj.jpg

NavMesh:

(I hid the building)

yc4w.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This place is kind of a supply place. Like when the owner goes fishing, hunting, or anything like that. There he/she has food, parts of hunted animals, and many other things scattered around. The place is a mess because that's how the owner "organizes" the objects there, haha.

(obviously the things on the ground where put there on purpose)

Snap_Shot01.jpg

Snap_Shot02.jpg

Snap_Shot03.jpg

Snap_Shot04.jpg

Snap_Shot05.jpg

Snap_Shot06.jpg

Snap_Shot07.jpg

Snap_Shot08.jpg

Snap_Shot09.jpg

Snap_Shot010.jpg

Overhead look

gallery_42856_491_12738.jpg

Light map, with 7 custom lights and 1 shadow light.

gallery_42856_491_54206.jpg

Navmeshing

gallery_42856_491_89446.jpg

And a better look at the new cellar. I had fun trying out some new ideas, flooded the place at one point.

gallery_42856_491_69085.jpg

Edited by aussie500

Went for cooking.

gallery_42856_491_205213.jpg

gallery_42856_491_67560.jpg

Navmesh for the verandah is fine, navmesh for the yard I am still working on. No idea how to make everything vanish to get a good look. The island down the bottom is to confine the chickens, not sure if that is recommended, but it works. Tamira gave me the idea. I test it out and they get killed, due to Braggen's over enthusiastic enemies, I will later fence them in.

Edit - After lesson 4 the separate navmesh for the chickens was scrapped, which was a pity. But there were too many navmesh's and I got tired of doing it all over again chasing glitches. Four times I did the external navmesh.

gallery_42856_491_47142.jpg

Closer look at the cooking, its an in game shot.

gallery_42856_491_31299.jpg

And the chickens who are not part of the challenge, the under dwellers.

gallery_42856_491_207238.jpg

Edited by aussie500

Some in game screenshots.

gallery_42856_491_91701.jpg

gallery_42856_491_189504.jpg

Yes I did notice that big post in the middle, it is a unique shack, that is my excuse.

gallery_42856_491_129443.jpg

He keeps a very tidy table this one, either that or it is rarely used.

gallery_42856_491_142281.jpg

CK screen

gallery_42856_491_33662.jpg

And last but never least, the navmeshing.

gallery_42856_491_47186.jpg

I will do a release version for the final exam, but there will be a bit of  delay while i actually go and learn a bit more about modding and the creation kit. I want a released version to be a bit better than just a basic house.

Edited by aussie500

Looks pretty good, you will want to practice exterior navmeshing a bit to avoid multiple islands and overlapping mesh as much as possible. You can head to your exam when ready though. :good:

You should have all the techniques you need to do your final exam, even a more advanced design is just building on these techniques. It's a better choice to do the exam as outlined and finish the course, then update your piece with additional techniques etc that you gather elsewhere after you've graduated. You can polish and refine a design endlessly, so you don't want it to crunch your completion by dragging it out with extra fluff. Also, the point of the exam is to show what you learned in THIS course, not elsewhere, it would go against the spirit of the exam to pad your skill set first. :yes:

Thanks DarkRider. The only overlapping navmesh I had was the chickens, and in the end I gave up on having that, it is just all one navmesh now, I did it a fair few times due to a glitch with deleted navmeshes, gave up in the end, it works just fine and only has one deleted navmesh, which is still a mystery.  I made no islands other than the early chicken one, sank the one just out on the path near the farm house. I polish this house for practice, and to try out things I am attempting to learn, I have no idea where I am going to build my final house yet or even what it will be. And yes I did eventually get that post out of my shack.

gallery_42856_491_108881.jpg

I am here to quibble, seems I lost 5 points. So I am challenging my score, for a bit more credit.

Here is the final navmesh for my external farm area. Nothing wrong with it in that picture, CK passed it and finalized it. There is a glitch you cannot see, but I do not think I should be deducted for it. The chickens on the 4th attempt to get rid of a CK glitch, lost their separate navmesh. The CK passed and finalized all 4 attempts. The tiny island on the road was always there, I sank it.

gallery_42856_491_75711.jpg

gallery_42856_491_264147.jpg

Final navmesh for the shack area, to more clearly see there are NO islands, and no overlap, it got a bit squished, after my bad experience with the farm house navmesh, I was attempting to fit everything in and delete nothing. Which is ridiculous and impractical, but I wanted no more glitches. Two triangles were deleted because the CK complained about them, I redid them exactly the same, it was happy. This is the updated version, only difference is I got rid of the post in the shack, added a seat by the fire, and landscaped near the workbench so I could join the navemesh up on that side and followers could go all the way around the hut. The drop originally there meant they could not pass on that side of the shack. I deleted no part of the navmesh making those changes.  That area was never an island, the ramp worked just fine, followers could eventually get up the bit of drop that was originally there, but I put the ramp in anyway, to save them the struggle.

gallery_42856_491_57320.jpg

gallery_42856_491_86341.jpg

gallery_42856_491_71262.jpg

gallery_42856_491_51545.jpg

gallery_42856_491_23271.jpg

My original version that seems to have started all this, just so no one can say I altered anything to get rid of any islands or overlaps.

gallery_42856_491_63364.jpg

gallery_42856_491_55404.jpg

And just in case i lose points for the clean table.

gallery_42856_491_133969.jpg

And I navmeshed around the bucket of fish on the pier, because the bucket is static. Did not want anyone to kick the bucket and fall off the pier.

Edited by aussie500

When grading, I was referring to Credit Challenge #2 in which your posted this image, and I have edited it to show you exactly where the errors are.

NavMesh_zps7b8a365c.jpg

You also posted this comment:

Edit - After lesson 4 the separate navmesh for the chickens was scrapped, which was a pity. But there were too many navmesh's and I got tired of doing it all over again chasing glitches. Four times I did the external navmesh.

Which indicated to me you were not likely to correct the issues, which is fine, but based on THAT image and the comment, deducting points was the only logical conclusion opened for me. :shrug:

Now, I will note in your "quibble" post, the navmesh looks very different. You have clearly made changes and improvements since taking the screencap above for Challenge #2 and resolved most if not all of the issues. But the screencap you posted as your finished product for me to consider when grading DID have separate isles and overlaps. I don't have your mod in front of me, I can only grade based on what you present for my consideration and that screencap clearly had issues. If you have since resolved those issues, I'm happy to look closer and adjust your grade accordingly.

It's not a matter of principle for me, it's a matter of correct vs incorrect technique, it's not personal. The screencap you posted shows incorrect technique and my grading was fair. Show me correct technique and I'm happy to update the grade. :good:

• 5 weeks later...

Credit Challenge #2

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8q5qnlg0jwzamwi/AAATiGidSBY5ac2IuYVY8AK0a?dl=0

I wanted to make a full smithing area for my porch. Nice and convenient. I included a tanning station, armour (I'm Canadian) workbench, weapons sharp stone, as well as an anvil. I created a safe (no respawn) chest for folks to keep their crafting supplies in for easier access. Hope you like it :D

Credit Challenge #3

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/voos4qdzhx7kar9/AADL-1gHQbhpvpCRZgbnlrTVa?dl=0

My little shack and pier. I kept it simple and clean, as I don't like a lot of clutter in my mods.

Edited by Notorious

- the trapdoor:

GVneXoT.png

- the underbuilding:

XClAomn.png

There are two functional bookshelves in the bedroom but they are not visible on the image.

:)

jCA6y0O.png

cmV2sXE.png

The porch hasn't been navmeshed yet; I'll do it in lesson 4. I hope it's okay. :)

Edited by ladyonthemoon