DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CK Basics: Lesson #4

DarkRider

It's possible to use collision boxes to modify navmeshes in special cases, it probably isn't ideal in a general all purpose sense though as flat collision boxes blocking navmesh on an uneven terrain can cause other navigation issues like not allowing actors to pass the collision field depending on how it sits. Also in cases like a stable where you need navmesh on the interior but not where the walls are you would have to move/modify the mesh, it wouldn't work to just conceal it. That technique is more sound for temporary concealment of navmesh in areas the player cannot access at first but later can once the box is removed for example.

Thank you for the enlightenment! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a couple of navmesh questions relevant to your tutorial.  First, I'm stuck with not proceeding in exterior navmesh.  I started the exterior navmesh, but as soon as I saved, the work I did disappeared.  I shut down ck and started back up.  The problem continued.  There was no vanilla navmesh underneath in this particular area.  I've not navmashed exterior before so I'm assuming I'm ignorant about some aspect of this. 

The second question is that your tutorial states to try hard not to delete vanilla navmesh.  However, I have a very large house, and there is a lot of navmesh underneath it.  What can I do about that?  I've checked out a few other large house mods, and the navmeshes there seemed to have been deleted.  I can't see trying to pull theses away from the house (house is just too big).

Thanks so much ! 

..  However, I have a very large house, and there is a lot of navmesh underneath it.  What can I do about that?  I've checked out a few other large house mods, and the navmeshes there seemed to have been deleted. ..

The devs don't seem to have bothered much about that. If you take a look at Whiterun, the city, you'll noticed that all the houses have navmeshes underneath them and that the new navmeshes have been attached to that underlying navmesh. I'm looking forward to reading Dark Rider's opinion about that. :D

Edited by ladyonthemoon

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have a couple of navmesh questions relevant to your tutorial.  First, I'm stuck with not proceeding in exterior navmesh.  I started the exterior navmesh, but as soon as I saved, the work I did disappeared.  I shut down ck and started back up.  The problem continued.  There was no vanilla navmesh underneath in this particular area.  I've not navmashed exterior before so I'm assuming I'm ignorant about some aspect of this. 

The second question is that your tutorial states to try hard not to delete vanilla navmesh.  However, I have a very large house, and there is a lot of navmesh underneath it.  What can I do about that?  I've checked out a few other large house mods, and the navmeshes there seemed to have been deleted.  I can't see trying to pull theses away from the house (house is just too big).

Thanks so much ! 

Hi Alli,

What version of the CK are you using? Some folks still run older versions and at one time there was a bug that would not allow exterior navmesh to save properly. Also have you tried finalizing your navmesh before saving?

In most cases you do not want to delete exterior navmesh if it can be helped. The game just clings to old data in saves and deleted nav meshes can just cause all sorts of trouble (sometimes it really works fine but hard to tell what Skyrim will or will not stumble over) so what to do in your case? You will want to move the existing navmesh down below the surface of the landscape, it needs to be quite low to prevent NPCs from still trying to access it. Depending on the landscape you may need to experiment a little with the height below the surface to get it right. If you must, or choose to, delete sections of navmesh, make sure that you only edit this mesh one cell at a time and finalize each cell before moving into the next. :good:

If you have additional questions, feel free to post :)

• 4 months later...

Sorry it been a while. RL issues and nonsense going on.

• Post Before and After screens of your lighting under color spectrum view

vNhQpbi.png

That is how my lighting came out first shot. In game it's a nice dim look, saw no need to change anything.

• Post a screencap of your custom light

cIRIpFV.png

The widdle light that could.

• Post screens of your exterior NavMesh

NtxzzFO.png

Did it with out deleteing anything, though it left much to be streched and a massive amount of shifting to avoid overlap. (Note no nav mesh added to the side porch as I see making that areas one of the extra lessens, so that's to be done)

• Post screens of your interior and exterior green NavMesh finalization markers

d8mTDP4.png

You can see the outside one in the other screeny.

• Add a Dragon Perch to your exterior

RcPLSMD.png

How about two, as nothing foils a dragon attack than just standing on the side he cant face.

• Create a new location for your exterior based on HalfmoonMillLocation

fs6JAo2.png

Ta da...

• Post Screens of your Mod Cleaning skip this for now

Think this needs to be updated badly.

• Complete at least two of the course Credit Challenges

Will be done.

Quick question on the Navmesh part...  I find often I have no choice but to delete parts of the mesh. Rather there is no 'hole' already there to shift around, or if there is it ends with mesh that is stretched and either clipped into the ground or floating high over a dip in the land. I know it's alright to have the mesh a little below the ground if needed, but when we are talking half or a full character's height above or below clipped I don't really know. How badly will something like that effect a follower? What's a good work around if you don't want to delete any of the mesh?

Edit: *watches tumbleweed roll on by*

Edited by IronBlockGames
Just um.. waiting...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I did the best I could with the exterior NavMesh but my performance was giving me problems.  It was a little better after hitting N to hide the other cells' Navmeshes, thanks for the tip, but I think it's still got some issues.  It's all right for the most part though.  I think.  Let me know if you need me to fix anything :DUntitled.png

CreationKit 2016-06-30 08-16-28-13.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-30 08-20-27-47.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-28 17-00-50-90.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-28 16-59-43-51.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-30 08-31-55-81.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-30 08-31-41-20.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-30 08-45-36-35.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-30 08-47-17-94.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-30 09-08-58-24.jpg

CreationKit 2016-06-30 09-07-54-81.jpg

Hello,

So ... exterior navmesh is all kinds of suck. Yikes.  Anyway, finally wrestled through it and I'm pretty happy with it.   

Note: my first attempt at the light balance was pretty good, however, it was a little cool in the bar area so I made some adjustments and warmed it up a bit. 

I have completed two of the challenge exercises, but, I intend to complete all three. Thank you 

KMSBasicTut4_BeforeLight.png

KMSBasicTut4_AfterLight.png

KMSBasicTut4_CustomLight.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh8.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh2.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh3.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh4.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh5.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh6.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh7.png

KMSBasicTut4_Locationobject.png

KMSBasicTut4_Locationsetting.png

KMSBasicTut4_Dragons.png

KMSBasicTut4_NavMesh9.png

7 hours ago, DarkRider said:

Looking great guys, you can head to the Final Exam when ready!

Just a heads up on my likely timing ... RL just got busy again so my pace is going to slow a bit.  I am working on challenge three right now and will move on to the final exam after that.  I don't expect to have the final exam completed until mid July at the earliest - more likely end July, early August.  Should I just post it when done and PM you when it is ready? 

• 2 years later...

I've finally figured out the navmesh issue... there never was one! lol  I apparently (when experimenting with my ini) changed some 'colors' and I can't remember which one effected that particular navmesh color. I recorded all of my steps using macro but I'm still learning how to replay the recording.  [my-bad]

Otherwise...hope I did the lesson correctly... Ext Navmesh was a ***** just like the lesson said so I did my very best....

CKB(L4)HorseMarker.thumb.png.e1985ffe7eaee9ca7326d9648b746f50.pngCKB(L4)Ext.Navmesh2.png.558580fdc2d5591e2cf1633e39be340e.pngCKB(L4)Ext.FinalizedNavmesh.png.2d43c0c9aea279901ccf11acf0c29603.png5d1bb44e05dc2_CKB(L4CC2)ForgeLightTemp(dest.data)SideBar.thumb.png.abea955458581dc93b7139b3e87186f4.png5d1bb440444c6_CKB(L4CC2)DragonMarkersSideBar.png.9dc9820b1e7e8e37dee23b43bdb99660.png

CKBL4-lighting-template (Candles).PNG

CKBL4-lighting-template (Fireplace).PNG

CKBL4-lighting-test (1).PNG

CKBL4-lighting-test (2).PNG

CKBL4-lighting-test (3).PNG

CKBL4-IntFinalizedNavmesh02.png

Edited by PunkN
double images-deleted the extra

I forgot to add the border marker ScrnSht post-finalization to the exterior... and I've also finished my 3rd Credit Challenge which forced me to make some changes to that navmesh so I'm also including one of the screenshots (also going in the appropriate Credit Challenge thread) of that changed navmesh....

CKB-L4.png

CKB-CC3(01).png