DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Lost Spires Conversion

Marthgun

I think its pretty rude to lock me out of a thread making it look like i'm doing something wrong.

Here is the official readme:

http://www.lostspires.com/pages/readme.htm

Modder’s Resource:

Lost Spires is jam-packed with new modding resources. Perusing the extracted files will reveal hundreds of unique meshes and textures, many icons, sounds, a few new creatures, and two entire retextures of the vanilla cave tile-set. Most new meshes are contained in a single folder: Data\meshes\dungeons\caves\clutter01. Likewise, most new textures are contained in: Data\textures\dungeons\caves\clutter01. Creature models and retextures are contained in the standard creature folders. The two cave retextures are contained in Data\meshes\dungeons\caves\cave02 and Data\meshes\dungeons\caves\cave03.

Feel free to use the Lost Spires resources for modding purposes. You need not ask my permission to do so. Three stipulations apply:
Give credit where credit is due.

If you intend to re-release the Lost Spires content itself after tweaking, adding, subtracting, or in any other way modifying, or if you plan to merge the Lost Spires with other mods, you must ask for permission by contacting me at: info@lostspires.com

The original Lost Spires esp and resources may NOT be hosted on alternate servers without explicit consent. Mods using Lost Spires resources ARE allowed to distribute those resources through any means available.

Modders are encouraged to take full advantage of the provided resources. The two new tile-set retextures (Primeval Hollow and the Warlock Ruins), along with their accompanying decor geometry, will be of particular interest. The Primeval Hollow design has only been used once in the Lost Spires. I’m sure you guys can generate some interesting variations.

Furthermore, the permissions at the Nexus are for files on the Nexus.  Since he doesn't host his mod or any of his content on the Nexus, and only his patches, then what can I assume is that authority of this mod's content falls under his official readme which gives me permission.

I attempted to contact him in multiple ways, even though i didn't have to.  But his email address is offline, and he hasn't been seen on the nexus fro years.

If you have an argument against me using this or concerns of converting it, then i am open to listening.  It is not necessary for me to convert or use any of his stuff.  Locking me out of the conversation is absurd.

Locking me out of the conversation is absurd.

It's not absurd nor rude :no:

You didn't provide any source for the content you wanted to port over to Skyrim, you never mentioned you had permission either. This led the Staff to the conclusion you were doing something illegal, which we will NOT allow on site.

From now on PM a Staff member if you have problems with Staff action.

i contacted Haniasse through pm, but it was the public impugning of my character that i was most offended by,

especially coming from someone taking a casual look at the nexus page and that being more valuable than my reputation.

i'm not looking to gain a bad reputation b/c people think i'm stealing work.

i still would like to know about converting this over and any objections to it

Don't take anything personally. The subject was locked, not you. Now that you've offered the documentation, it's not an issue.

So, let's move on.

Converting meshes:

Your best bet is probably to import the meshes into a 3D modeling program (I think you use 3DS, yes?) as Oblivion, then export it as Skyrim to get the foundation, then clean them up in NifSkope like any other mesh. Use a vanilla Skyrim mesh as an example on what BSLightingShaderProperties to use. Architecture pieces are fairly standard.

Your biggest headache is going to be recreating collision for every single piece.

Some of your questions from the other thread:

does nifskope not update or show the glow maps or emissive colors in the renderer?

No, you will not see glow maps or emissive colors in NifSkope's render window.

How do i find if there is a normal map on it?  I know there is, i just can't seem to find it in the block details.  Also want to find the glow maps and such, to make sure i'm not missing something.

This is one of the biggest differences of Oblivion/Skyrim meshes. In Oblivion, the only texture that needed to be identified is the diffuse texture. The normal map and/or any glow map would be tagged on automatically because it had the exact same filename, appended with the _n or _g. In Skyrim, we actually need to identify these files.

That should get you started. Good luck, it could be a long, tedious project.

I don't have any bones to pick in this but I will just put this out there for you to consider. In the permissions it is clearly specified:

Lost Spires is jam-packed with new modding resources. Perusing the extracted files will reveal hundreds of unique meshes and textures, many icons, sounds, a few new creatures, and two entire retextures of the vanilla cave tile-set. Most new meshes are contained in a single folder: Data\meshes\dungeons\caves\clutter01. Likewise, most new textures are contained in: Data\textures\dungeons\caves\clutter01. Creature models and retextures are contained in the standard creature folders. The two cave retextures are contained in Data\meshes\dungeons\caves\cave02 and Data\meshes\dungeons\caves\cave03

Retextures are using Bethseda's meshes and are retextured with a new texture. It also states that there are numerous new meshes and textures as well as retextures in the clutter01 folder.

The problem here is that you have to be able to tell what the new resources are that you can actually port to a new game. Clearly you are not allowed to port any of Bethseda's original meshes and textures and the anything that is a retexture (the cave tilesets for one) are clearly off limits. A rule of thumb that we were always taught when using someone's resources was that "When in doubt don't touch."

The person who made this mod used this as a showcase of his/her skills in modding and it was their portfolio which led them to be hired with a major gaming company. You know the official website for the mod author and if you can't or don't receive a response then in my opinion you have to tread very carefully on what you use so as not to comprimise any copywrites on either Bethseda's or the mod author's work.

Just my opinion on the matter.... And for what it's worth I used the primival cave tileset in one of my Oblivion mods with permission and credit given. It is one of my favorites.

yes thank you very much for the response, this is what i am looking for.

I did notice there were a number of meshes that are very clearly oblivion specific meshes and also meshes that were original that used oblivion textures.

I did assume the caves were retextures of the original obvliion caves, and that's why i started a thread on here to make new modular cave assets.

i was most interested in the spires and the clutter.  Some of which i saw were Lost Spires specific, which is what i was interested in using.  Over half the models i looked at in nifskope, and i looked at all of them, have low resolution maps that need to be redone, so i picked about 15 or so objects that i wanted to convert.

Mostly though i wanted the textures.  His email on the website is offline, you can try to send an email and it will come back immediately to you.  

I was thinking about starting a thread on the Nexus called Lost Spires 2, just to smoke him out and get a definitive opinion on it.  I have decided to shift my mod again from a detective mod to include a majority of it to a new archeology guild like in lost spires now that i can for sure use his textures.

But even then i'm not clear if i should do that, i've been busy modeling new assets, but any opinions on the direction or anything else i need to be careful with is very much appreciated.  The conversion is on a little bit of a hold, but i hope someone takes this info and converts and releases these assets for Oblivion, b/c some of them are really good.

i contacted Haniasse through pm, but it was the public impugning of my character that i was most offended by,

especially coming from someone taking a casual look at the nexus page and that being more valuable than my reputation.

i'm not looking to gain a bad reputation b/c people think i'm stealing work.

This is adressed at me.

I did not "impugn your character" or assume you want to steal something. I only wanted to give you a heads up as you asked if  "...there any thing i should be aware of while doing this?". And the permission tags on the Nexus tells us a different thing than the permission in the readme, which is not published on the Nexus.

To show you that I did not intend what you implied to me, I converted the ancientscroll01.nif and the spire01.nif for you.

I used the NifUtilsSuite to do this. Load the Oblivion nifs in your 3D program and export them as Morrowind nifs, including the original collision. Then let NifConvert and ChunkMerge do the job. Even the AlphaProperty will be added by NifConvert.

I recommend to remove the BSLightingShaderProperty that is added by NifConvert and copy over a matching BSLightingShaderProperty from  a vanilla Skyrim nif. Then adjust the texture paths.

As for the glow: I simply copied over the GlowShader BSLightingShaderProperty from a whiterun window and adjusted the texture paths.

Here they are:

http://en.file-upload.net/download-8625518/Scroll-and-Spire.7z.html

Screenshots:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TQky68sYdDwZN1wRrmNOy9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z2fnRAx60P8T207BKA4Ox9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I'm sorry if i offended you i was very upset at the time b/c it looked like i was stealing something and i didn't intend to do it.  I wasn't trying to throw anyone under the bus.

I can't seem to find the download link to what you provided though.  It looks alot better than what i converted from scratch.   I think i will use your method.  

It might be b/c i have alot of ads blocked in my Opera browser so its not showing me the link.  Thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated Tamira and everyone  :icecream:

• 3 months later...

Hi, i've looked over most of the meshes,

What are the rules of actually remodeling some of the cave meshes?

say i like the cave textures for xyz.nif;

I want to use them, so i bring the original in max, and model something that's close to it but different, what is the procedure so that its known that i didn't just copy it in, move a few verts and be on my way?