DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Need a little help with 3ds max

horatiocaine

Hello and thanks for reading.

I'm trying to export a mesh from 3ds but it crashes.

The mesh in question is essentially 2 horns on a headmesh. 

Right now, the horns are 2 different meshes which are skinned to the same headmesh.  But, I want to attach the 2 horn meshes and export them as 1(I intially had 1 horn, then cloned copied it to have an eventual symmetrical mesh).

However, no matter what, 3ds doesn't like this.

I've tried removing the skin/BSdismemberskin then attaching the 2, reskin/BSdismemberskin the now 1 mesh, no good.

I've tried attaching the 2 horns without removing the skin/BSdismember skin, didn't work either.

I have imported, modified an armor mesh then exported it sucessfully, so I do have an idea of what I'm doing.

I'm using 3ds max because eventually I would like to try my hand at animating, which AFAIK blender doesn't support.

I've already spent several hours trying to figure this out and google isn't revealing anything useful with my specifc situation(attaching 2 meshes and exporting).

I can't help you with the export.  Unfortunately, our resident 3ds expert, Meo, hasn't been around since last Christmas.  If you check his profile, there is a link to his site.  You might be able to contact him that way.

Relative to Blender, it does support animation, both key frame and shape keys (morph targets).  Good luck.

i wouldn't say i'm an expert, especially at armor, but you can post the .max file and i can look at it.

also, which version of max are you using?  Also what version of the export tools are you using?  Do you have the Havok tools installed in max?

If you want to just add the horns to the original mesh and export it as a single mesh with one Skin property, then it should work.  I don't think you can export multiple skin data on the same mesh though