DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Do you have the strength, fortitude, and compassion to help this weary assassin mage on his quest?

scottrill2

Hello All,

This will be a REALLY long post / thread so let me start with some background so you understand where I am coming from.

Ironically enough, I have spent 3 days typing this post into a word doc lol  I have been planning the most concise way to explain my needs in an orderly fashion.   I will most likely use LOTS of ordered lists, line breaks etc.

I am a gamer with very mild OCD.  I do wash my hands 30 times a day and use over 2 gallons of alcohol sanitizer a month.  But thankfully that is the only “physical†issues I have.

My MAIN obsessive behavior is in PLANNING crap.  Examples:

1. I put a shelf up last week and I spent 4 days planning, measuring, etc before I even bought the materials.  Then I put the shelf brackets on the wall with temporary glue and put the shelf on to check and make sure it is level.  Finally after all that I drill the holes, sink the screws etc.  Ironically, even with all that if I put a damn marble on that sucker it still rolls about a foot and then stops lol.

2. I have spent WEEKS planning my oblivion install and modification.  I have watched YouTube videos, read and bookmarked hundreds of pages including many on this site.  I have not even installed vanilla version because in my planning I came up with questions regarding even that lol

Secondary obsessive behaviors include “ordering of items†and perfection complex.  Examples:

1. I can’t tolerate things out of order ESPECIALLY chronologically.  Deus Ex : HR was a real problem for me cause it was a prequel lol.  My mind has an immense problem handling stuff out of order.

2. Spoilers. 

They kill me as well because of the chronologic damage they do.  Like a Morrowind mod that didn’t include a readme file accidentally ruined a plot point for me in the main story later on.  I almost quit playing Morrowind for this reason lol  The add on quest was MEANT to be played after the ending of vanilla game.  Without the readme or a warning I did not know. Lol  Heck if I am at a theater and I have to go pee, I will literally leave the movie, cause my mind can’t accept missing 5 freaking minutes.

3. Perfection. 

If I PLAN something in my head, my mind needs to come off without a hitch.  Thief was horrible for this lol  I once had to replay a thief Metal Age mission about 100 times, because I had planned it to come off without a single detection.  Of course I kept making just slightly too much noise or a guard would turn or notice I put a torch out etc.  You get the idea, even if I was 10 feet away from the end of the mission and got detected I would reload my last save.

I am planning this oblivion install / modification and I hope to avoid errors because that will probably make me start all over.

Please don't think I am just trying to be lazy and wanting all answers given to me.  I have not "failed to use the search button" or failed to "just google it dude".

I have 5 folders in my bookmarks just for oblivion, each with 50 to 100 bookmarks in them of forum posts, YouTube videos etc.  Right now alone I have over 69 tabs open in chrome with Oblivion stuff.  Tutorials from here, tutorials from Tescosi etc.

One of the problems I face is that the more I "google" and plan the more OPTIONS and paths I see for my oblivion install.  This info gives me MORE aspects to plan thus compounding and exacerbating the issue.

Basically, I have a software “glitch†and my programmers (mum and dad) nor mod tweakers (Doctors) have yet been able come up with a patch to fix me lol

***NOTE***

I do not make light of OCD.  I joke about it cause they say laughter is the best medicine lol  So if you have OCD or have a loved one with OCD I mean no offense.  I joke about my little “glitch†to cope with it.

I have seen a grown woman crying at a kitchen sink with bloody hands because her baby is hungry and she can’t bring herself to touch the baby’s bottle without sanitizing.  The dad is gone to pick up a movie and she has to wash her hands 15 strokes in each direction and if she even THINKS she messed up or miscounted she starts all over again.  The whole while she wants nothing more than to cuddle and feed the baby.  The shame she feels is even worse than the pain caused by the bleeding hands.

I earn bottom rung middle class wages, yet spend a lot of money because of my OCD and as such I am right above the poverty line.  However I know a lawyer who makes mid 6 figures.  He is POORER than me.  He cannot wear clothes longer than a month.  And he is a lawyer at a prestigious firm who doesn’t wear 30 dollar jeans or even 200 dollar suits.  He buys designer crap.  EVERY MONTH he does this.  He also hoards, so he doesn’t sell his “old†suits for at least a year.  He recoups very little when he does sell them.  His wife and child left him, the judge attaches his bank account so that the child support, alimony etc comes out immediately.  He drives a junker, because the 24,000 he used to spend on a luxury car lease every year can buy him “X†amount of suits etc a year.  He is mocked by his own co-workers at the law firm.

And of course I can’t forget soldiers.  Brave men and women who come back from honorably defending their country with mental demons of their own.  And possibly they can’t even play Oblivion let alone hold their loved ones because they are missing limbs, paralyzed etc

I know I am terribly lucky to have such mild obsessive behaviors.  I also don’t intend this info to be viewed as a “pity party†for myself either. 

I only list the above background info because there may come a time when:

1. You will offer me what seems to be the most SIMPLE solution to my question and I will not take it.  Please understand, I mean no offense.  I truly truly appreciate the time you give towards helping me, but your simple solution may be something near on impossible for me. 

2. Imagine for a moment me asking you to molest, or kill a child.  Your brain would be so revolted and STUNNED by such a suggestion that you kind of have a brain freeze.  That is *sort of* what it is like I guess.  

I can rationally, and logically agree with your answer, but IMPLEMENTING your perfect, generously given answer is just not doable in my head.

3. I will ask a question that seems so ridiculous to you, but yet in my head is like an insurmountable obstacle.  I am not being stubborn, and please believe I am not trying to “waste your time†either. 

So that kind of lets you know where my questions will come from. 

****************************************************************************************************************

FAQ Section:

Now some questions you might have or some comments to get out of the way immediately.

Q.  Why don’t you play the first time through on Vanilla and worry about mods later?

A.  Please understand that while this makes perfect sense, it takes me a LONG time to play any game.  You might beat a game in a month.  It might take me a month just to beat ONE mission if I have to keep replaying it etc.  I am 7 years BEHIND on Oblivion.  God knows how many years behind on Morrowind I was.   On the plus side, I never have to worry about not having powerful enough hardware.  On the downside, I have to avoid spoilers and what not for years lol

Q.  Why don’t you play Oblivion on a console to take the modding out of the equation?

A.

1. Because Mods often help me finish a game easier.  Take Levelling in Morrowind.  A lot of sane folks used spread sheets and very elaborate tactics to maximize level ups.  For someone like me?  I don’t think I could have finished the game. (Which technically I still play Morrowind because there is some hoarding and achievements I still want perfect lol)

But because an auto levelling mod was available from some generous person in the community,  I didn’t have to watch my stats etc.

2. Because I do OFTEN play a mission / quest over and over I get tired of the vanilla graphics quickly.  But with an overhaul or texture pack, often the scenery becomes so awesome that repeating quests doesn’t drag as bad.  Also if I can use a mod to add new ways of killing (aside from button mashing and spell cast spamming) then each time I repeat a mission I can at least have a slightly different flavor to it.

3. I am DEATHLY allergic to consoles.  For some reason after spending any time on a console I have an urge to beat up 12 year old kids who SWEAR they are SEAL operators yet their voice is so high you know their nuts haven’t even dropped yet lol  I also after spending ANY time on the Xbox want to punch Bill Gates in the nutz as well…HARD.

And to be perfectly blunt, I go by good ole Charles DARWIN.  If consoles were MEANT to be included in mankind’s life then “the ascent of man†would have stopped at 2 index fingers and 2 thumbs.

Mother Nature wanted me to have 10 digits so that I might use a keyboard and mouse instead of having to press the circle, while tapping the freaking triangle, while slowly rotating the joystick left, and then finishing with a light tap of the stupid square. Lol

Q.  Why don’t you have a sane person come over and do this for you? Lol

A.  Very logical question.  Normally, I have a nephew who plays the game first for me.  I buy two copies, and he uses his copy to get my copy ready lol  He will go through vanilla and take a guess on what issues I will have with it.  (Some things are a given, such as inventory hoarding, levelling up etc)  He will then find and add and test mods etc until they all work and have no issues.  Then he clones that to my installation.

For whatever reason he LOATHES oblivion.  He uninstalled it, apologized to me and went back to Daggerfall emulation and Morrowind. Lol  Of course he won’t tell me WHAT set him off because that would probably be a spoiler for me and ruin my chance at the game. 

He did mention two things in general:

1. Radiant AI.  He said it is horrible to the extreme.  He said it isn’t intelligence at all but merely a preprogrammed and pre scheduled route.  That the biggest difference was having to find a person at a specific time on a specific route.

2. The voice acting.  He absolutely HATED the no voice acting of Morrowind (Aside from main players of course), he thought he would love being able to turn off subtitles for a more immersive experience.  But he said the constant repeating of mundane, poorly voiced junk just ruined the voice dialog he so long had craved.

For these same two reasons he says he is also passing on Skyrim too.

Anyway, I have had to go solo on only 2 occasions because he bailed on the game lol.  Thankfully each time there was an awesome community to help.  And when it comes to communities you don’t get better than Elder Scrolls.

So that’s about it for setting the stage.  I will edit my post after I have overcome each obstacle and present a new question.

****************************************************************************************************************

Subscription Question:

My first question is slightly off topic.

On subscriptions, if I get say the 3 year VIP but later want to participate in a mod or something can you upgrade or change a subscription that still has time left?  Or is it better to go with a month to month deal so you have flexibility? 

I know you’re thinking “This guy would never be able to make a mod with his OCD lol† And you are right.  By the time I could even plan it out Oblivion would be twenty years old lol 

But unfortunately, I like to support communities I get help from, especially open source stuff like Linux or Game Mods J  Once I make the decision to support a community I have to freaking PLAN how to do that.

I will most likely NEVER EVER need an L1 or L2 subscription lol  But my OCD voice says:

“But what if one day you do?  And you’re stuck in a 3 year VIP subscription?â€

I also know that logically I could just sign up for the L2 subscription as I would only eat 100 bucks or however much time is left out of three years.  But that would mean I have TWO subscriptions going at the same time and my mind simply can’t allow that.

Lol Welcome to my world ;)

Question 1: Steam (Question added 02/14/2014 at 2:45 PM MST) :

So the first Oblivion question I have is about steam. 

In my PLANNING phase for Oblivion I found an auction seller who had what he called the “Anniversary Deluxe†version that included “Official DLC Add ONSâ€.  I had bought games from this seller before such as Deus Ex : HR and inside the package were codes for DLC’s etc.  So I took this to be:

• Fighter's Stronghold Expansion 
  • Spell Tome Treasures
  • Vile Lair 
  • Mehrune's Razor
  • The Thieves Den
  • Wizard's Tower
  • Orrery
  • Horse Armor Pack

There was not time to submit a question as he only had 3 left and I was buying two, the auction was ending in 8 hours so I figured I would get em while the getting was good.   However, once it arrived I quickly realized this version was no different than anywhere else.  Purchase was “AS IS†so I am screwed.  Thankfully they were cheap I got both for like 15 bucks New In The Box.

My questions are:

1. Are the DLC’s worth rebuying Oblivion Deluxe on Steam?

2. I will be heavily modding the game, are there any great mods that DON’T run good on the steam version?

3. Does anyone know of any LEGAL way to get the DLC’s anymore other than steam? ( I read somewhere that if you bought a certain version of the Knights of Nine disc you get all the DLC's?)

4. (If the question 3 above is answered YES,) I do see some Knights of the Nine retail discs for cheap on Amazon and Ebay.  Could I START the vanilla install and then add the DLC stuff once the disc arrives in a week or so?

Please understand I LOATHE steam with a passion.  I can’t get over how chaotic their folder organization is etc.  I also don’t like being told exactly where I have to store something either.

Question 2: Vanilla Install Order (Question added 02/14/2014 at 10:12 PM MST) :

Alright I am going to install vanilla oblivion, Shivering Isles, and Knights of the Nine.

I am using two sites to plan this:

I.  http://tescosi.com/wiki/Complete_Installation_Guide_for_Oblivion/Part_1#tab=Install_Oblivion

Their steps are:

1. Run Oblivion's setup.

2. (Even if you have GOTY!!) Install the latest official patch for Oblivion (not SI) of the appropriate language.

2a.   The SI v1.2.0416 patch does not patch the original textures BSA or OblivionLauncher.exe. Only use the v1.2.0416 patch for Oblivion. 
    2b.    If you have trouble installing the official patch, read the Unofficial Technical FAQ's patches section. 
    2c.   Many mods require Shivering Isles, so it may be worth installing even if you never go to the SI worldspace. Its instrusion into the main worldspace is very small.

3. (Shivering Isles) Run SI's setup. For GOTY users, can do this by installing disc 2

II.  http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure

Their steps about patching are:

1. Before adding any mods, patches, helper programs, Shivering Isles or anything else, start the game and make a save. This initializes some stuff that needs to be initialized, such as your monitor resolution, and creates a new Oblivion.ini file.

2. If you are using the Game of the Year (GOTY) version of Oblivion you should not need any patches, skip the patching part.

3. Now, If you DO NOT use Shivering Isles, patch the game using ONLY the latest Oblivion patch. All of the stuff from the earlier patches is included.

4. If you use Shivering Isles, Install it now. DO NOT install the Oblivion patch. Install Shivering Isles, then ONLY the latest Shivering Isles patch only IF you do not have the GOTY version. All of the updates for Oblivion are included. 

Now the anniversary deluxe or whatever I bought two copies of says it is GOTY edition.

Questions:

1. So which tutorial is most accurate?

2. Is there a better or newer tutorial somewhere I have missed?

3. Should I install Oblivion only, no SI or KoTn and make a save.  Then start patching?

4. Do I install official patches anyway even though I have GOTY?

5. Do I install both Oblivion and SI patches or just SI patch?

So opinions please folks.  I have to decide on this before I can post other questions.

As always, THANK YOU for your time folks.  It is truly appreciated!!

Scott

Edited by scottrill2

I am pretty sure you can upgrade your subscription at any time.

At one time, there was a disk version of all the DLC, EXCEPT fighters stronghold. (which is about the only one that I use......) Oblivion, Shivering Isles, and Knights of the Nine are a LOT of content. Horse armor is a waste, and the rest are just different types of 'houses', depending on what type of character you like to play. (Fighter, Mage, Thief, Vampire, etc.) The Orrery, (or however it is spelled...) Is ok..... though rather short on content. Just adds a new dimension to the mages guild.

So far as I know, the ONLY way to get ALL the DLCs, is via Steam. (Yeah, I hate that part too..... I am just not a fan of steam.....) You could poke around, and see if you can find the disk version....  (knights of the nine retail version of the game, I think.) Just remember, no Fighters Stronghold. Not really a great loss, there are better fighter-type homes freely available for download from a host of sites.

Welcome to TESAlliance. :) We hope you enjoy your stay.

• Upvote 1

Hello HeyYou,

Thanks for the reply I truly appreciate it.  

*Edit*  Forgot to thank you for subscription info.  I ended up with the 3 month vip.  I figure it is easy to renew with paypal and yet I still could change plans very quickly without worry.  My OCD is at ease lol  Thanks for the info.

Your response kind of makes it easy for me.  My OCD makes me want to collect complete sets lol  So if the Knights of Nine retail disc isnt complete than it makes it easier for me to ignore it.

Although to be honest I LOVE mounted combat like in Mount & blade.  I was looking forward to running some punks through while at a steady gallop lol

So the Horse Armor was actually what I was most interested in.  To tell the truth I try and not read the descriptions of stuff often so they dont spoil or give away clues.

I started reading the description for Knights of Nine Revelation mod and read about some dude who is "vanquished" lol I instantly close the screen cause that type of info really messes with me, even though its quite vague aside from letting me know I vanquish him at some point so he must be the bad guy.

So I am going to skip the DLC worries for now.

Do you know off hand though about question 4?  If I did later pick up the knights of Nine retail disc at the bargain bin or something, could I add the horse armor in later after adding other mods in etc?

Thanks as always.

Scott

Edited by scottrill2

Yep. The DLC is basically just "official" mods. You can add any of them in at any point in time during your game.

Might want to look on Oblivion Nexus for horse armor as well. I think some folks did some that was better than the beth stuff, and doesn't require you to have the DLC first......

• Upvote 1

What version of the game do you have? (long day, didn't read back thru everything...) I think the anniversary edition, and a couple others, come completely up to date. (was that the question? :) ((yep, I am tired))

For additional questions, just put them in your next reply. Makes life a tad easier. :heyyou:

Hola HeyYou,

Sorry about posting above in first post.  In my mind I figured editing my first post would keep all the questions in one spot in case this thread gets to multiple pages.  (It will lol)

I will post the questions in my replies from now on though to make it easier for folks helping me.

I have already checked and I do need the patches.  Two of the tutorials I have been studying conflict.  For instance one says to start the game and make a save BEFORE patching anything at all.  One says that if I am using Shivering Isles, to just install the SI patch as it will patch the oblivion files as well.

So my questions are:

1. Should I install Oblivion only, no SI or KoTn and make a save.  Then start patching?

2. Do I install both Oblivion and SI patches or just SI patch?

On a side note the bargain bin had a KoTn retail disc and I couldn't find the horse armor mod you mentioned so I bought it.  5 bucks for horse armor and hopefully a couple hours worth of quests, worth it.

As always, THANK YOU for your time folks.  It is truly appreciated!!

Scott

install oblivion, kotn, and SI. Do the SI patch. Fire up the game, make sure it works, and that it is the correct version. No need to do all the other hoop jumping. Consider: If you play for a while, and then decide to start a new game, are you going to reinstall beforehand? I hardly think so. :)

Five bucks for the KotN disk? Not bad. :) Only thing you are missing then is Fighters stronghold. Just a castle, with one quick quest, and it's yours. Not really missing much there..... I think that one is ONLY available on steam these days. (and you would have to buy the whole game again just to get it. not worth it in my opinion.)

• Upvote 1

Thanks HeyYou,

I am all updated and made a save etc.  I have also made a back up of vanilla oblivion install.

I guess my next few questions deal with side issues.  Most guides I have read said 64 BIT systems benefit from freeing "upper memory"  And I have found several guides that mention a "4GB patch" , "increasing heap sizes" etc.  Also have read alot of controversy on utilities like wyre bash.

Question: Utilities (Question added 02/17/2014 at 10:58 AM MST) :

1. I have 32GB of RAM.  I do plan on installing lots of Mods, will this 4GB patch be enough or should I try to release more memory for Oblivion?

2. Should I "increase my heap sizes" ?  If so how much and could you point me to a tutorial for it?

3. I have oblivion installed on a pretty fast 15K drive.  But I also use RAM disk for certain things.  I see on forums that a heavily modded Oblivion is around 25GB in size so I could ramdisk the whole shebang.  Would it be faster if I loaded Oblivion into RAM?  

4. For most utilities like Boss I have downloaded the LATEST release.  For wyre bash though tons of places have said to stick with a much older version of 295.5.  Would you agree with this advice?

I am chomping at the bit to play this damn game lol.   I have 2 weeks off come March.  I am hoping I will be ready to play by that time w00t!!

Scott

Oblivion is a 32 bit application, so, even with the 4gb patch, (which isn't a bad idea) it will only use up to 3.2 gb of RAM or so before it crashes.

I did nothing with heap sizes, run a heavily modded game, and have no issues with stability. (of course, my system is EXTREMELY streamlined as well......)

RAMDrive is, of course, the fastest..... but, if you go 'mod happy' with your game, you can blow thru 30gb install size quite easily. (mine is over 30.... I run FCOM, and such.)

The bash version you picked there will work just fine. Bash is pretty much a requirement if you start loading a host of mods. Makes them play nicely together. :)

Back up your vanilla save as well. I usually save just before leaving the sewers, (where it asks if you want to change anything), then, when I get my terrible case of restartitis, I don't have to go thru all that again. :) Gets pretty dull after about the 50th time.... (not to mention the 100th.....)

• Upvote 1

Evening HeyYou,

Your talking to the guy with OCD remember? lol  I have already made backups and backups OF my backups lol  I make 7zip "archives" and am also making acronis incremental backups along the way as well.  I know it is complete and utter overkill lol but I cant help it.

OK.  Next questions kind of get murkier.  I know you all cant answer certain questions because it becomes a matter of personal taste and well, thankfully you aren't me with my brain glitches lol.

Question: Utilities (Question added 02/17/2014 at 5:09 PM MST) :

1. I am using Wyrebash 295.5 with Wyre Python 08. // Boss 2.1.1 // tes contruction set 1.2.404 // OBMM 1.1.12 // OBSE 21 //  Any bugs or compatibility issues using older wyrebash with newer utilities?

2. Tes4Edit has an "experimental 3.0.31"  or the last stable version is 2.5.3 // Which should I use?

3. Tes4LoadGen has an "experimental 3.0.15"  or the last stable version is 2.2.2 // Which should I use?

Question: Utilities Install Order (Question added 02/17/2014 at 5:30 PM MST) :

I read a few tutorials that said to install utilities in order like so:

1. 4GB Patch
  2. Tes Construction set
  3. OBMM
  4. Wyre Bash
  5. Tes4Edit
  6. BOSS
  7. Tes4LoadGen
  8. OBSE
  9. OBSE Plugins

Would you concur on the order?

Scott

Edited by scottrill2

Hello again folks,

Question: Backup of App Data folder (Question added 02/17/2014 at 5:53 PM MST) :

Was just reading a forum post talking about backing up your  "c:\%username%\AppData\Local\Oblivion" folder as well.

I have been backing up entire Bethesda folder + MyDocuments\games\oblivion folder which has my saves and oblivion ini etc.

Should I be backing up this appdata folder too?

Scott

No compatibility issues I am aware of.

Use the last stable versions. (safer)

Install order looks good.

What operating system you running on your machine? I don't even have that particular folder on mine. (Win XP Pro 64bit. Yes, it's a dinosaur, but, I LIKE it. It's old. Like me. :D)

You have already ran the game, with some DLC installed? Have a look at the folder, and see what's in there...... I *think* there is a 'plugins.txt', that has some importance or other, but, I couldn't swear to it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks HeyYou,

I will start backing up the appdata folder just to be safe.  I  am Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.  I liked XP Pro well enough, but for work I had to upgrade to Vista.  Let me tell you, Vista and OCD???  Not a good combo lol I actually came close to resigning a few times.  When Windows 7 finally came out it was like the typical scene in a comedy where a dude is standing ina dark field and all of a sudden heaven opens up, angels start singing and crap lol and he is bathed in light roflmao.

Don't even get me started on Windows 8.

I have installed all utilities and all seems fine.  Now I have to think about my MOD questions.  As of right now I am reading a crap load of Readme's and make PROS & CONS lists lol  Once I get the list semi finished I will post that up.  Thats gonna be a doozy of a post lol  I'll warn you when I post that so you can have beers and aspirin close at hand lol

On a side note, speaking about ages.  I am no spring chicken myself and have the hardest time seeing the small fonts on Tesalliance.  I am using CTRL + right now to enlarge text, but is there a control panel or settings area I dont know about to make my default text here larger?

Scott

Hello HeyYou,

Yeah I learned the UAC headache with Vista.  The only thing on my c drive is windows and the few programs that really need to be in Program Files locations.  Everything else is all on separate hard drives and partitions like:

D:\Data
G:\Games
S:\SSD Apps

etc etc 

Now, I do have one question now though.  I have already downloaded 200+ mods and am making PROS & CONS lists, reading the readme files for compatibility issues etc.

But I do have OCD and this "analyzing mods" is a behavior I know quite well.  I will more than likely spend countless hours going back and forth over readme files etc trying to "pick" the best ones that are compatible.

Question: training cheat and UoP ?? (Question added 02/18/2014 at 8:55 AM MST) :

I thought I read on TES alliance about a cheat or "zone" specifically for testing mods.  Unfortunately I have over 600 bookmarks for oblivion already and can't seem to find it again.  Like you had to teleport there with COC cheat, but once there you could test out mods or something?  I have searched forums for testing and training but haven't comer across it again.  I have found a list of console location codes but the only ones that would make sense are the "practice rooms" at arcane university.  That doesn't sound familiar this was like "training resources room" or some crap.

1. Do you know what I am talking about by chance regarding the training area for mods?

2. Also as far as the unofficial patches.  Do I need to keep reinstalling those after I add new mods?  Like if I install "Mod whatever" and it has a corrupt file or something, won't it overwrite the good file from the unofficial patch?  Would I then need to install the unofficial patches again to overwrite bugged or messed up mod files?

As always, THANK YOU for your time folks.  It is truly appreciated!!

Scott

Edited by scottrill2

Testing Cell?

If you use some variety of mod manager, (Bain, NMM, whathaveyou) you can have it uninstall the mod, and it will remove all files associated with it. Is the UoP still using 'loose' files? (Been a while. :) )

Don't go whole hog, and install a boatload of mods all at once. Install a couple, TEST THE GAME. Make sure everything works as advertised. (make sure to install any mod dependencies though....)

• Upvote 1

Hola HeyYou,

I found what I originally had bookmarked.  In searching though, I also found COC "testinghall" which is cool cause I can see armor and creatures and stuff all at once.  The FCOM thing I read about is the "300_Test.esp" mod / tester.  

So between the testing hall and the FCOM 300_Test.esp should be able to help me speed up the Troubleshooting.  Of course when I post up my mod list if experts such as yourself see a show stopper I would appreciate the heads up :)

Right now I am ranking mods in order of necessity.  There are 3 major things I care about cause of my OCD:

1. Modified Leveling System - Like I mentioned earlier, some folks keep track of skills and attributes on excel etc and MAXIMIZE their level up bonuses by grinding etc.  With my obsessive behaviors grinding is major bad for me.  A normal player will grind for a day or two maybe to maximize a bonus.  I'll grind for 3 weeks and totally forget why I am grinding anyway.  I need a Ron Popeil solution like "set it & forget it".  (I figured at your age you would remember Ron Popeil infomercials lol)

2. Inventory Management - In Morrowind this took up more of my time then anything.  My OCD makes me open every damn barrel, crate, and chest.  I loot every damn body.  And where normal folks can say "Oh, I already have 2 sets of nordic fur armor, I have to grab it anyway and add it to my 10,000 freaking sets back at base"  I would set up mark and recall at a 10K merchant and literally transport back there, sell crap, return for more loot, transport back to merchant and sell crap etc.  Finding that damn mansion in Balmora with the infinite weight limit was a godsend for me.  For the rest of the game I set mark and recall to that mansion, right in front of the body lol  But bottom line, I still spent ALOT of time teleporting back and forth etc etc.

3. Beautifying / Adding Gameplay Value -  As I mentioned in my first post, I replay quests ALOT.  I'll be assassinating a target for a writ I have from the morag tong and I kill the SOB but maybe I don't like how the final blow was.  Again for most folks this aint no thang!  They just move on, maybe they replay the quest twice and then give up.  I will replay that damn thing 40 times before I give up.  So buy having the game as awesome looking as possible and by having stealth mods etc installed in morrowind I at least still enjoyed the 40 times I killed the SOB lol

But that's where I definitely need opinions and help.  Its like for the modified leveling system.  I have already found like 8 different ones that ALL have great reviews etc  And right now I am trying to read the readme files, do pros and cons etc but at the same time keep an eye out for incompatibilities with OTHER mods I want lol

So far I have the following narrowed down kinda:

Leveling mods: 

1. Elys- Uncapper (for sure)

2. Combo of nGCD and Fundament

3. Oblivion XP (worried about the CPU consumption.  I do have 4.1 GHZ Intel 2500K, but its old)

4. Realistic Leveling

Inventory Management:

1. Midas Magic Spells Of Aurum ( there is an INFINITE weight chest spell.  This alone may save me some serious teleporting / travel time.  A bunch of people say it is cheating, lol I say screw them.  Did we not have "bags of holding" in D&D lol true not infinite bags but they could still hold tons of crap / loot .  Plus I am an Assassin Mage after all lol I gotta be be wicked powerful in the magic department :)  )

2. Midas Magic Spell Sorter (So I can organize Midas better)

3. Mark and Recall (My OCD still makes me travel alot, like most folks will do several quests near each other in the same region.  Not me, my brain wants me to go back and totally remove the quest from the journal before moving on.) ( I am looking at 3 versions, all very similar and all have same warnings in readme, so I will pick whichever)

4. All in One Basement (This might not be needed since I will have the infinite weight chest from Midas.)

5. Trade and Commerce (Absolute must have.  I will never have to sell,wait,sell again!!! MuhAHAahAHAHAh)

6. Saddlebags (checking out some saddle bags mods, again with Midas chest it may not be needed.  Although I love Daily needs mods that make you stop and camp, eat, sleep etc so maybe I will just keep my tents and pots and pans in the saddle bags)

Beautifying / Adding Gameplay Value:

1. Unnecessary Violence III ( Mandatory!!!  I am an assassin and assassins kill crap.  I do ALOT of killing because I repeat so many quests over tons of times. Being able to kill in new unique ways??  Sign me up.  Plus you can climb on walls like Thief: Deadly Shadows :)  )

2. FCOM, OOO, MMM, and Fransescos ( FCOM is how I found this wonderful site and forum.  However I am worried in the readme it says . WARNING: FCOM is not for the faint of heart. It may chew your game up into tiny bits and spit it back in your face! Yes, Wrye Bash really is required. Now I am not faint of heart, but I am batshit crazy lol  I am worried getting FCOM setup with my OCD will prove too difficult.)

3. Qarls Texture Pack 3 (Beauty)

4. HGEC Body with BBB (What can I say, I like boobies.......that bounce :)  But I do worry about this conflicting with Unnecessary Violence III because it says your stuff has to use a universal skeleton.  I don't know how to check that.  But if I have to pick between one or the other I would rather slice a throat from behind then watch bouncing tata's as I gallop by on my steed lol )

5. Natural Environments

6. Better Cities

7. Unique Landscapes

8. Real lava

9. Enhanced Water

10. Illumination within

There is a crap ton of Beautification mods and IF they are compatible with my "must haves" mods I will install them all until the game runs less than 25 FPS

User Interface:

1. DarNified UI

2. HUD Status Bars

3. Dynamic Map

4. Map Marker Overhaul

5. Super Hotkeys

These are not must haves, but I truly hate the map and UI of Oblivion so as long as they don't conflict Ill install em all.

Question: Mods suggestions and install order question ?? (Question added 02/18/2014 at 5:50 PM MST) :

1. Any of these mods scream "OMG NO!" at you?

2. Any mods you would suggest in lieu of these?

3. I see tons of posts about "install order"  but isnt that what wyrebash and boss are for?  Don't they tell you "Hey you got some crap out of order, switch em around and load these first?"

4. Thoughts in general?

Scott

Edited by scottrill2

In Advanced Magecraft, there is the 'recycling chest'. You summon it, dump what you don't want into it, and send it on its way. It gives you the gold value of the items, based on your mercantile skill. (does LOTS of other stuff as well.....)

There are a couple of REALLY GOOD guides for installing/setting up FCOM. (I won't play without it. :) ) This one is my favorite.

I use Dark Darnified UI, but, that is really just a matter of taste. Don't use any leveling mods though, so, no experience there. Read the comments on the various mods you are considering, and take it from there. The Official Forums should have threads for them as well.

What's the rest of your system look like? I know you have a boatload of RAM.... what ya runnin' for a vid card/sound solution?

Processor is probably fine. (although, the oblivion engine isn't always friendly with overclocks.....)

Don't see anything game-breaking there. :)

Here's my load list, just for an idea.

Oblivion.esm

Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm
Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm
Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm
Mart's Monster Mod.esm
FCOM_Convergence.esm
Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp
Shivering OOO.esp
MOBS SI.esp
Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp
Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp
Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp
Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp
FCOM_Francescos.esp
FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp
FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp
RAEVWD Cities.esp
RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp
RAEVWD Imperial City.esp
SkinMannequinVan.esp
Living Economy - SI.esp
Living Economy - Items.esp
Display Stats.esp
FormID Finder4.esp
Lock Bash Omega.esp
Spell Delete.esp
Map Marker Overhaul.esp
Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp
Enhanced Hotkeys.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp
Francesco's No Reduced Backwards Running.esp
Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp
FCOM_BobsArmory.esp
Oblivion WarCry EV.esp
FCOM_WarCry.esp
Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp
Harvest[Containers].esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Additional Enemy NPC Vars.esp
FCOM_Convergence.esp
FCOM_RealSwords.esp
FCOM_DurabilityAndDamage.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - No Pests.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - No Carrion Rats.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - No Giants.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - No Undead Rise.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Less Bone Loot.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Dungeons of MMM.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Hunting & Crafting.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Slof Horses Complete.esp
FCOM_DiverseGuardUnity.esp
FCOM_BobsGuardUnity.esp
FCOM_HungersUnitySI.esp
FCOM_FriendlierFactions.esp
FCOM_MoreRandomItems.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Shivering Isles.esp
Geomancy & Gem Dust OOO.esp
CastleEltz.esp
JQ&DM-ScriptedBackpacks.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp
BattlehornCastleEnhanced.esp
DLCFrostcrag.esp
DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp
Knights.esp
Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp
FCOM_Knights.esp
ReclaimSancreTor.esp
Harvest [Flora].esp
Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp
Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp
Soulgem Magic.esp
RealisticForceMedium.esp
RealisticMagicForceMedium.esp
Advanced Magecraft.esp
SupremeMagicka.esp
SM_ShiveringIsles.esp
SM_DLCSpellTome.esp
SM_OOO.esp
SM_MMM.esp
SM_EnchantStaff.esp
SM_UnlockSpells.esp
SM_Scrolls.esp
sr_spell_deletion.esp
Poison Equipper.esp
RshAlchemy.esp
RshAlchemyRecipes.esp
SM Combat Hide.esp
Duke Patricks Near Miss Arrow Shot Alerts The Target.esp
RenGuardOverhaul.esp
Duke Patricks - Fresh Kills Now Alert The NPCs.esp
Intelligence Overhaul (No Book Changes).esp
JCN_AV Uncap.esp
Sneaking Detection Recalibrated.esp
Toaster's Legendary Mastery.esp
Grandmaster of Alchemy.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Resized Races.esp
bgMagicEV.esp
bgMagicSpellTomes_for_WryeBash.esp
bgMagicEVAddEnVar.esp
bgMagicEVPaperChase.esp
bgMagicEV_Conjuration_for_Supreme_Magicka.esp
Francesco's 10 days respawn time - 1-20 day lenght rescale.esp
bgMagicLightningbolt.esp
X-Ray Detect.esp
Duke Patricks Script Effect Silencer.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Spell Cost Adjust.esp
MouseWheelDisable.esp
vjHealthMod.esp

• Upvote 1

Wasabi HeyYou,

System Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT

i5 2500K (overlocked to 4.1 GHZ)

32GB DDR3 -XMP 1866 

GeForce GTX 660 Ti (2GB DDR5)
Creative X-Fi Gamer
ssd cached hdd (main)
10K Raptor (gaming drive)

Now onto questions  :dizzy:

Question: FCOM Guides (Question added 02/19/2014 at 9:23 AM MST) :

When I looked at that guide you mention I noticed that they are using betas for FCOM and older versions of OOO etc.  I grabbed all the FCOM stuff from here:

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/files/download/1294-fcom-convergence/

Which lists it as version 1.  But yet the dates on the FCOM beta 9dot9 is back in 2008?

Can I use that same guide but replace the files with the newer versions etc?  Like will the newer OOO or MMM have any different steps?

Question: Install Order (Question added 02/19/2014 at 9:50 AM MST) :

Tecosi site recommends very speciffic install order.  With my OCD the order especially chronologically is very prominent in my thoughts.

1. Why do they recommend to install quests BEFORE overhauls?  Isn't a quest usually added after you beat the game and need more stuff to do?

2. Will installing quests later overwrite files from the overhauls or something?

3. In general should I install the mods I want the most LAST so that nothing gets overwritten?

Question: BCF files (Question added 02/19/2014 at 9:55 AM MST) :

Several guides I have read talk about using these BCF files and BAIN wizards.  Yet of all the mods I downloaded only one has this file.  

Do you know of a good place to get BCF files or is this kinda old method?

Question: Advanced Magecraft (Question added 02/19/2014 at 10:13 AM MST) :

Checked out that magecraft mod you mention.  Me likes what I see, but knowing my brain I see the potential to do a lot of grinding magically.I have to really struggle to not use the console too much.  Cause if I cheat I just keep doing it until the game is so easy and empty its not worth it.  So for instance the cloning of items.  One thing I do right away in the beginning of any game is I raid daedric shrines etc to loot and make money so I can buy training etc.  My OCD brain would look at the clone item and ask itself (Which is better 1 Daedric Shield or 5000 Daedric shields) lol

1. Can the magecraft be LIMITED through ini files or config menu?

2. Can some functions like "clone item" be completely turned off?

Scott

Edited by scottrill2

BCF files (Bain Configuration Files) are only required for mods that have choices of packages to install. (like different quality textures, etc.) Most are just straight up installations.

I think there were some OBMM scripts for installing some of the components of FCOM, but, I don't know how up to date those are now either. (Yeah, it's been a while. :) )

Hhhmmm..... yeah, that guide is a bit outdated. :) Check the readme for FCOM 1.0, and see if there are any suggestions in there.... I think they had a 'help' page at one time, but, not sure how up to date it is.

Cloning in AM can cost. :) which is configurable. default is 100%, so, no point in cloning a few of them to make more money, because you will actually LOSE money doing so. There is also a setting to prohibit cloning of enchanted items. (which is also on by default) We tried to keep it as balanced as possible. :D

• Upvote 1

Hello HeyYou,

What would you say about my install order question?  As mentioned I am making a list from all the readme files about incompatibilities and suggested install orders.  But tons of them just don't say one way or another.

From what I gather the last thing installed may overwrite files from other mods.  So should I install everything except my favorite mods and do those last?

Edited by scottrill2

Well,

I have begun the process lol  I already have two boxes in BAIN under installers tab that are red and yellow.  However everything in Mods tab is green so I am guessing it is cause I changed something in an ini file after install.

I have two questions this go around.

Question: Streamline  (Question added 02/25/2014 at 10:55 AM MST) :

So I installed streamline right away from the tescosi guides I am following.  However I have since read many a forum post that says for a HEAVILY modded oblivion install (As mine will be) that tweaking the oblivion.ini and the OSR plugin for obse will produce far better results.

1. Is this true?  Should I ditch Streamline and focus on ini tweaks and OSR?

2. I did like the sound of streamline's save games features but have since found "Duke Patricks - Safe Save" mod.  Is this a fair trade off?

Question: Install order (again lol)  (Question added 02/25/2014 at 11:15 AM MST) :

So the tescosi guide I am following says about install order:

• Original Files (backups)

• Utilities:  Examples: FormID Finder, Kuertee's Actor Details, Streamline

• Game Tweaks (Immersion & Special Items) :  Examples: Deadlier Sneaking, Common Oblivion, Harvest Flora

• New Buildings & Locations  :  Examples: Bank of Cyrodiil, Bartholm, Glenvar Castle, Vaults of Cyrodiil

• Official Add-ons (DLCs) & Unofficial Official Patches  :  Examples: DLCs 1-9, UOP, USIP, UOMPs, UOMPs MOBs, USIP MOBS

• Quests  :  Examples: Blood & Mud, Choices & Consequences, Gates to Aesgaard 1 and 2, The Lost Spires, The Mysteries of the Dulan Cult, Ruin Tail's Tale, Ungarion Memoirs: The Welkynd Sword

• Companions & NPCs  :  Examples: Viconia, Vilja

• Big Mesh Replacers   :  Examples: QTP3, QTP3 Redimized, QTP3 Redimized Reduced, QTP3 further Reduced

• Overhauls & Creature-Adding Mods  :  Examples: Cyrodiil Upgrade Overhaul, FCOM, Francesco's Leveled Creatures Items mod, Martigen's Monster Mod, Oblivion War Cry, Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Tamriel Immersion Experience

• New Items (Armor & Weapons)  :  Examples: Bob's Armory, Loth's Blunt Weapons, KD's Circlets, Pure Steel Blade, Slof's Oblivion Goth Shop I, Slof's Oblivion Robe Trader, Xiamara's New Amulets

• City & World Aesthetics  :  Examples: All Natural, Animated Window Lighting System, Better Cities, Enhanced Weather, Let There Be Darkness, Natural Environments, Unique Landscapes

• User Interface (UI)  :  Examples: Dark UI, DarN UI, DarkUIdDarN, Immersive Interface, Keychain, Menu Video Replacer Scenery, Toggleable Quantity Prompt, Super Hotkeys

• UI-Modifying Game Tweaks  :  Examples: Kobu's Character Advancement System, Less Annoying Magic Experience, nGCD, Oblivion XP, Progress, Realistic Leveling, Supreme Magicka

• Texture Replacers  :  Examples: Ampolex's Texture Pack, Better Night Sky, Detailed Terrain, FineWeapons, RustyItems, Magic Shields, Real Lava, Real Night Sky, Vanilla Hair Replacer

• Other Replacers  :  Examples: Initial Glow, Visually Enchanted Customized Fixed

• Animation Mods  :  Examples: Actors in Emotion, Seph's Hand-to-Hand Animation Replacer

• Cosmetic Mods & Body Replacers  :  Examples: Beautiful People (BP), Race Balancing Project (RBP), Ren's Beauty Pack, Robert's Male Body, Robert's Female Body, Robert's Female, Robert's Female for Mod, Robert OOO Armor, Robert MMM Armor

• Character Texture Replacers  :  Examples: Enayla's Dremora Face Texture, Enayla's Facial Textures, Enayla's New Face Textures, Improved Facial Textures, Kendo's Orc Textures

• Your Projects

1. Magic stuff like Advanced Magecraft and Midas Magic Spells Of Aurum are kind of like overhauls for the magic system should they be installed when I install other overhauls like FCOM?

2. In the above list UI stuff is to be installed AFTER overhauls.  Unnecessary Violence III (UV III) is listed as an overhaul but yet wants certain UI mods installed with it like HUD status bars.  Do I install HUD status bars first, or do I install it later in order and then repatch or something?

3. Advanced Magecraft want Soul magic by the nice one, yet UV III is not compatible with it.  Now I havent installed either mod yet so maybe this is fixed with easy ini setting or something.  But in general if there are going to be conflicts will wyre bash list them?  (I noticed it has a conflicts tab)  and if so, then can I simply deselect something in wyre bash to get everything to play nice?
Edited by scottrill2

I never really used streamline. My machine was high enough performance, that I didn't need the 'boosting' aspects of it, and I saved regularly in any event. Not familiar with whatever else it does.

Advanced Magecraft doesn't really change anything in the base game, you can install it at any time. It just adds stuff.

Install order becomes important when more than one mod adds/changes the same file. (this is mostly for things like menus, textures, and meshes.) I usually started with the vanilla install, the unofficial patches, FCOM, and then everything else.

UVIII isn't compatible with soul gem magic???? Really? I am REAL curious why.... I didn't think they would have anything in common....... But then, I didn't use UV either......

• Upvote 2