DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

dungeon keeper mod

lemosla

I am beginning construction of a new mod I thought sounded like fun, but I am completely aware this mod will be a huge pain in the ass.

I recently came across a game title that I have owned since its release. "dungeon keeper"

remembering how much fun that game was I began thinking about how to rekindle it and maybe even improve upon it.

knowing that the original dungeon keeper game was preset maps made of squares I began searching through other games I had and thought about skyrim.

since skyrim builds its self around squares as well it may not be that hard to change the map, in fact I think the hardest part about creating this mod would be the changing terrain. specifically the mining prosses its self.

for the base mod I intend to start off by creating a dungeon built out of  cross shaped halls each one has 4 doors all rooms will be the same size.

the second part is to put something in each section that may let me customize that section  furniture wise at least.

the next part will be the little more difficult part of scripting enemy npc to attach specific location or unit "aka dungeon heart"

if I can manage to get all that working then we move on to step to making the game more complex

by adding unit types that attack and respond differently

add in spawning rooms for enemy's as well as allies.

third part

create an enemy npc that can issue orders to its units and change terrain as its units pass through like the player can

give rooms size requirements for spawning perposes and looks

give each room its own scripts "such as training room" "lair" "hatchery"

fourth part if I can get this far is finalize everything unique models and changes terrain "hopfully be able to "mine" walls to open up rooms

if I were more familiar with dungeon keeper than I might be able to be the half retarded cousin helping with this.  As it is... I dunno what some things mean D:

Like what's the mining process your referring to that would be hard.

Making an NPC that will spawn and come attack something doesn't seem to difficult, bandits do that to me all the time.

Is what they're attacking a destroyable object and not another NPC or the player?

What does spawning room mean?  Places that NPCs of a specific type appear or a place they return to when killed or a place you can make more of them?

What do you mean by change terrain like the player can and as for issuing orders... NPC's will behave how their programmed.  If you want an intelligent enemy AI that responds adaptively... I'm not sure this game can give that to you.

Making different rooms like a training room, lair, or hatchery sounds doable.  Can you elaborate on those?

Breaking through walls to open up new rooms also sounds possible.

(a lot of this is reminiscent of Minecraft and related genre games)

For those with more scripting and modding knowledge I would ask if this project would be too much for the Skyrim engine to handle.

Edited by Vain

www.gog.com

make an account there I think with a free account they are still offering dungeon keeper 1 its not as good as the second one buy many of the same feature still exist in this game

As for the mining the way dungeon keeper works is its an underground game I suppose. its an rts in an odd sense of fashion. first you start with "the dungeon heart" this is the key to loseing the game.

1)there is the summoning pit. as for the way the game normaly works this pit is where creatures can join your ranks and work for you.

2)then there is the your treasure room this room is where you store your treasure used for purchasing new room tiles and paying your creatures fee's "and you thought they worked for free"

3)lair this room is where your creatures rest each one does have a stamina meter that goes down over time and faster for each action, also if a creature falls in battle they do not die depending on if the imps can get to them in time to bring them back to the lair and rest to restore life.

4)hatchery is where your creature feast

5) training room is where your creature can train to level 6 at cost of time

6)the pit is where you can force your creatures or enemy creature to fight to the death your creatures may train from 6 to 10

7) the work shop is where creature manufacture doors and traps

8) library is where your wizards train spells and them selves

9) prison where you place the fallen enemy's if your imps get to them before the enemy's get them

10) any creature that dies in prison turns into a skeleton

11) grave yard all corpses brought to the grave yard turn into vampires

12)sentry post creature take turns guarding these posts if an enemy is spotted  at or near this post an alarm is sent for all other creature to defend it

13) wood bridge can cross water and will slowly burn in lave

14) stone bridge can be placed in water and lave cost is 3x more then wood

(creatures "not listing all")

1)imp this creature is most valuable it the only creature that can mine walls and collect gold for you

2) goblin basic combat unit week and killable but low upkeep only needs lair before it can spawn

3) mage ranges caster researches spells needs a library to spawn

4) salamander med melee unit can cross lava

5)skeleton weakest unit hard to get in dungeon no upkeep cost

6) vampire needs a large grave yard at least 3x3 per each vampire and 5 corpses brought to it

7) troll large slow unit does most melee damage requires you have 3x3 pit for each

Edited by lemosla