DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Strange graphics glitch.

Force85

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm still new to this site. 

Okay. So I made a mod that changes Skyrims coin system. Basically I changed the default gold coins (gold001)  name and texture to copper, and then added in silver and gold coins. (You can find the mod here http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51871/? ) 

But I got a strange glitch report from someone who downloaded my mod. The Copper coin has a bunch of what looks like black lines running through it but the other coins don't. And if he raises the graphics settings the glitch goes away. 

Here is what he sees in game.

qVFMn5a.png

And here is what he sees in the creation kit. 

Sd5Zo37.jpg

Any ideas what's going on? I've never seen a glitch like that before.  

Just as a starting point, have you had someone test this for you? I kinda figure that you did and got no reports on this. If so .. and if not .. then it may be local to the install for the person with the lines on the coppers.

Just another idea but..he is trying to load up a large amount all at once. I don`t see that it would be THAT large though.

Edited by donnato

Yeah. I've tested this mod out and I had another person test it out. And neither of us ran into this glitch. But I play on ultra,  I don't know what my tester played on though, I should probably ask. What do you mean by "large amount"? 

But it seems like this glitch only appears when you lower the texture quality. On another forums they suggested that it could be that the bitmap was corrupt. But when they downloaded the mod resource that I used they said that it looked fine. So either it's on their end or when I packaged my mod something happened. But what really confuses me is that its only happening to the copper coin. None of the other coins are experiencing that glitch. 

• Upvote 1

the "large amount" was just an after thought and, not really a consideration, methinks. If it happened when you packaged .. others who played at lower settings would see it too. From what you`ve said.. I`m leaning toward users settings. Since none of the other coins have the glitch .. that narrows the possibilities. What is different about the copper coin?

Textures and Normal Maps should be saved and compressed with MipMaps. MipMaps allow a single texture/normal map to render properly across a variety of resolutions, the copper coin's normal map has no mipmaps, that's likely why it renders okay at one resolution but not another. The CK doesn't render normal maps, that's why it appears normal in the CK.

Open the copper coin normal map (the _n version) in a photo editor like GIMP and resave with DXT5 compression, make sure to check the generate mipmaps box :good:

Okay. So I did what you said DarkRider and it seemed to have fixed the problem for one of the guys who reported the glitch, the lines/boxes are now gone. But the other guy says that the black lines/boxes are now a gold/copper color. Why do you think it worked for one person and not the other?