DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

2014 Computer Project

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are better processors out there than that one as well...... I put together an AMD system for a friend here with a quad-core 4.2ghz processor, but, that was an AMD system. For the beth games, it seems that clock speed gets more performance than just about anything else you can do. But then, I am still running my old AMD 965 black edition system, that I built several years ago. It still performs quite well. To the point, that I am not looking at upgrades in that area any time soon. :)

My current computer worked quite well with Skyrim, playing on high settings with little problem.

Intel Dual core 2.13GHz.

But, something in it is causing it to shut down now. Motherboard? Power supply? The new video card? Not sure, but I do know its probably time to upgrade as this system is 7+ years old now. (sans video card)

There is a heat sink in the middle of the motherboard, not sure what its for, but it has no fan. It is super hot, burning to the touch when the computer shuts down and I start checking things to see how hot they are. So I jury rigged a fan to blow air on it, will see if it helps.

The book says its an Intel P45. I guess its the 'chipset'.

My motherboard is an Asus P5Q SE.

Well, I am on my backup laptop. The Frankenbeast is dead. He lived a long and prosperous life giving much enjoyment to those around him, he will be fondly remembered in all the screenie's he took and games he played. Its truely a sad day.

Oh, and new parts are being ordered today.

Its all up and running.

Unfortunately, I could not use my CPU fan because the bracket will not work on the motherboard. So I had to use the one that came with the CPU.

Any suggestions for a good cooler? Or will the water one I have listed in post #1 work real good?

The 'bracket' now is a 'push in' type holder, from the front only.

And I have to figure out how to 'allocate' the second partition on my Western Digital 3TB hard drive.

Disk Management shows the first drive as 2048GB and active. But the remaining 746GB are unallocated and all options to activate it are greyed out. Seems before I used a software tool to get windows to activate the drive, but I can't seem to find it now.

As I noted, disk manager options are greyed out for the unallocated space.

2TB is the largest (2048GB), and that's why there is 765GB or so left over. Unallocated.

This 'unallocated' space is not empty space. Before I had to rebuild my W7 machine, I had found a way to allocate the space, so there is data on this partition that I want to keep.

Just looking for the tool that will allow me to make it allocated space.

Success!

Arion pointed me to Acronis, which is a Western Digital software package for true image utilities for hard drives.

I did not see anything really, in it that looked like it would do what I wanted.

But, by the miracle of simply 'installing' Acronis, my drive partition that was 'unallocated' suddenly showed up and now I have access to it once again!

Hallelujah! I have not lost all my backup data!!!

Ok, so I did the 'Rate Performance' on my new computer, and it has scores from 1.0 to 7.9 (Right-click Computer and do the performance scan.)

Processor: 7.8

Memory: 7.8

Graphics: 7.9

Gaming graphics: 7.9

Primary Hard disk: 5.9 :rofl:

I Guess I need an SSD for my primary to get that score up...

Heh, too bad they are so expensive!

So, I thought I had a quad core, and wondered why it cost so much. But when I was looking at the DxDiag report, it said I have 8 CPU's. Alright then!!!

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz