DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Archiving bsa's and disabling esp DLC's HELP!!

shmills

I read somewhere that if you are using texture mods that you need to archive the DLC's bsa's and that the order and positioning in the archive of the BSA's matter, I forget where I read this but I have posted here now and in the Nexus Skyrim HD 2k texture forum.  I am wondering also about the unofficial DLC patch.bsa and the Opitimized DLC mod?  I read that you need to archive the bsa's in order for the DLC's not to take precedents over texture mods? And what about animation mods or mods other than texture? 

You do not need to archive the DLC bsa's, unless you want to open them in the CK to mod.

For other mods, no, you do not need to archive them. Archive invalidation applied to previous games, not Skyrim. Skyrim will load all mods in the order of the load order. If you don't want a particular mod overwritten, place it lower in the order. This is where mod managers come in handy.

With the way Bethesda's load order system works now (after patch 1.4 really) all you need to do with the hi-res pack is make sure it loads early. Probably right at the top in just about any load order. Then the unofficial patch for that right after it. Keep the esp files they come with active. Those esp files will then determine the order the game loads the assets in.

The advice that's been out there saying to edit the ini file with the order of the bsa archives is old, over 2 years old even. It's no longer valid.

So long as the remaining texture packs you're installing come in after the others, there won't be an issue.