DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Linux for the win?

So, I've heard things both good and bad about Linux. To set the record straight, I'd like to talk to someone who's used it in the past (any version at all). Recently I've started to realize just how unfriendly Windows Seven is. (I mean, trying to seize control of my programs? Putting them in random locations, so I have to go digging for them? Not cool, Microsoft.)

I also read that Windows 8 is 'xenophobic' in that it gives non-MS programs a hard time, so I don't want to make the "upgrade" to that system. I have a bushel of games, most of which aren't published by the big guys. That said, if anyone has experience with Windows 8 that suggests otherwise, do let me know.

Last of all, I'm concerned about compatibility. Supposedly, most Windows programs can't be made to run on Linux systems. True?

There are some windows emulators that will make a fair number of software titles run under linux. BUT, so far as I know, there still isn't a good emulator for DirectX applications. (games.....) Again, you could run the games under a windows emulator, under linux....... but, performance would suck, unless you have a beast of a machine.

Could always turn off UAC....... at least, as much as win7 will let you....

And then there are the legal issues...... There is no steam client for linux.... so, you would have to crack whatever games you wanted to run that required it..... Which can get you in trouble in various places.

You would be further ahead learning the tricks to Win7. I am not a fan of win8 myself. In fact, you could accurately say that I HATE it. :)

I am using Ubuntu Raring Ringtail (13.4) and looking forward to install Trusty Tahr (13.4 LTS) in a couple of days.

Linux is great for a lot of work related stuff. Internet (Firewall? Anti Virus what?), Office, Multimedia, etc. works out of the box. Most distros are bundled with a lot of programs (including different desktop environments) to choose from. Installing new stuff is as easy/hard as installing new apps in windows, sometimes even easier. Almost all stuff is free.

Linux is not for gaming. You can play on Linux but it is sometimes a real pain using wine and other stuff. However, it is no problem to run a dualboot system that uses Linux for productivity and Windows for gaming.

Anyway, changing from Windows to Linux takes time. Many things are similar but pretty often not the same.

There is no steam client for linux....

In fact, there is a steam client for Linux. No idea how good it works, actually, using steam on Linux is ideologically nonsense but it is there.

Edited by Gramblosh

Get a second hard drive and install steam and all your games on the new hard drive.

Actually, my laptop does have two hard drives. Or maybe it has one, divided into two partitions; I'm not really sure. In any case, it has a C and a D. :)

Linux is great for a lot of work related stuff.

Good thing, since I originally acquired a laptop with writing in mind. And putting the games on a different drive (partition?) seems like a good idea...

You know what's the best about Linux? You can try before using. Got there

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

download the latest version which is 13.10. You get an ISO image, burn a CD/DVD it, boot you computer from the CD/DVD and use the live system. You can even use a USB stick with a live system

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

The live system is (almost) as good as any Linux. You will see, it is different but one can get used to it. Now I am missing more Linux stuff in Windows than I miss Windows stuff in Linux. But you should definitely try it before switching.

Edited by Gramblosh

Okay, just one question. What is Ubuntu exactly? Is it a certain version of the operating system?

Flavor is well said. It is not like Windows 7 or 8 (that is more like switching between different versions of Ubuntu), it is a certain package of operation system, desktop environment, applications. In Linux world they are called distribution. And finding the right distro is like finding a pair of good shoes cause there are many. Main distros such as Debian or Red Hat, Unbuntu e.g. is based from Debian but has itself distros that are based on it (such as Kubuntu, Mint, etc). Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions it is veeeeeeeeery confusing.

Ubuntu is a rather easy to use, beginner friendly system, so I think it is not like jumping in too cold water. Still it wont be comfortably warm in the first time. But some software is very similar if not identical to a Windows box (Firefox, Chrome (called Chromium), Thunderbird, the different kinds of Open Office (which is really similar to Microsoft Office), GIMP). Surfing the net on Linux is like surfing the net on Windows except for knowing that there is virtually nothing that could cause harm to your system (there are e.g. no know viruses in the wild for Linux).

But really try it with a Live-System. Don't switch to Linux cause somebody said you should or you think it is cool or so. Try it, give it a fair chance and than decide.

Edited by Gramblosh