DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

A walk in the clouds.

Adobe has said some time back that it will not support non-cloud variants of its products past win 8, perhaps you all are already aware of this.
Microsoft has also said that it will drop win7 support sooner than it did for previous systems, and of course win 7 is the platform most of us bought CS6 under.

What this means. It means that in the future Adobe users will be forced to rent for nearly twice the price (over a five year period) what they used to own outright.
It also means that those of us who spent thousands for the master suite will soon find ourselves with a product that will not update and that will have no support in future versions of windows.

Basically Adobe has sold us a ' car' with one set of tires. I don't know about you but as a long time adobe consumer, I'm pissed.

I for one am looking for either an  operating system that will extend the usage  of CS6 or else a complete replacement for the suite.

I've already told Adobe as a customer from CS2, I have no intention of paying twice the amount, (and less product by the way as not every program in the suite will be available on the cloud.), to have a product I don't own and they control access to, not happening!

Furthermore, the fact that Adobe is dropping their lesser used programs like Fireworks, (basically a program for web mockups), for the cloud tells me they only added some of these 'redundant' programs in the first place to inflate the prices of their flagship suites, which is completely inexcusable!

Well I'm done with Adobe after this suite becomes obsolete. I understand the cloud has some advantages, but I feel their current squeezing of long term clints into this program is not about productivity, it's about money , pure and simple.

Enjoy your walk in the clouds Adobe, but this is one excustomer who will be spending his money elswehere while keeping both his feet right here on the ground.

Remains to be seen how long support for 7 will last. Given the 'reception' win 8 is, and has been, getting, MS is gonna have to do something quite a bit different if they want to remain relevant. There are already projects in the wind by the various communities to continue support for XP. Just not thru MS. I like win7 a whole lot better than any of the newer stuff..... although, rumor has it, win9 will be coming out within a year..... maybe MS will learn something, but, not holding my breath.

As for the subscription-based in-the-clouds software model..... I hate it. MS took that direction with Office. (although, they did offer full, standalone versions as well.) I don't think I sold even a single copy of the subscription based software....... wonder if MS is going to get the hint. (doubt it.)

And you are correct. It is all about money. Why sell someone a software package that they pay for once, when you can sell them a cloud based system that they pay for every year?

Yes well I have the stand alone office 2013, it has a 'nag' link in the upper right corner of every application telling me to sign in to get the most out of office.

I hated win 8 because it forces you to sign into your pc using a windows live id, as if I now need Microsft's approval to use my pc?!

And no I don't think they will go in the right direction, I think the noose around consumers will continue to tighten with win 9. Consider, you already have computer companies like HP with built in carbon footprint monitoring devices which can tell you what a dirty rotten, planet killing scumbag you are. What happens when Microsoft decides to lock you out of your own PC because you have used up your share of 'Carbon Credits' ? I think you'll pay Microsoft or whomever more money for extra Carbon credits to finish your work or project or whatever. I think that functionality is coming...soon.

It's all about money.  Restricting access lowers the supply, driving up the cost of services which in turn puts more money in their pockets.

On a different note, I tried replacing Office with Corel, as sort of a test to see if I could eventually replace both suites (office and eventually photoshop) with their products. Here is what happened. I tried to download their demo and both Webroot and MBAM flagged it as malware trojan downloaders. I called  their customer service and they sent me to chat. I went to chat, the rude operator sent me to customer service, who had just sent me to them, and then abruptly cut me off. I used no foul language, nor was I irate, yet. But still the operator would not reconnect? I then called sales and asked them how they are staying in business!

Anyway, I don't think Microsoft hears its customers. Some moron in my country (USA) coined the phrase 'too big to fail' which smart people automatically understand to be nonsense. Unfortunatley, I think someone at Adobe and Microsoft actually belive they are too big to fail. Open source here I come!

Actually, you can sign in to 8 with a local account. You can set it up that way when you first fire it off, and it goes thru its setup, or, I think you can find that option in the user control panel as well. (I can't count the number of these machines I have set up......)

No, MS doesn't pay any attention to their customers, at least, not until they are pretty much threatened at gunpoint..... Just the 'start button' fiasco showed me that. (or, more accurately, reinforced that belief.) Let's hope the new CEO will actually take the company in a more 'user friendly' direction.....

Take a look at Open Office as well.

What version of eight? I have one on disk I installed on my backup PC I don't recall getting any options, and I'm usually pretty hip to that kind of stuff. :huh:

PS, I tried open Office years ago, it just seemed so convoluted, but perhaps it has changed.

All versions have the option, but, you gotta be paying VERY close attention, as that particular option is usually in VERY tiny print, where it starts whining about an MS account. I don't think MS has removed that option.... but, haven't done one for a couple months... ya just never know with MS.

Give OO a shot, see what you think. Can't beat the price. :D

No, I have one of the earliest releases of Win 8. I tried it again last night on a test partition I have on my backup PC, and no option exists, though plenty of fine print does. :thumbsup:
In any case it does not matter, I still don't like the rushed, clunky to operate and cheesy to look at gui of Win 8, it looks like they hired an orangutang on acid as the lead designer!

I might give open office a shot, when Office 2013 gets a little older, for now I think I'll try and get my money's worth from microsoft while the suite still supports seven!

Some other things I noticed, that seem to be totally whacked....

During setup, windows never asks for your time zone. Does MS assume that anyone that owns a computer live in the Pacific time zone?

If you have an issue, there is no Safe Mode any longer, and in order to get to BIOS, you have to be able to boot to the operating system..... If you can't get to the O/S, no bios for you......

Is that your unBiosed opinion? Bwa haa! Sorry, I could have resisted but what fun would that have been?

Anyway, you are right about the Bios, safe mode I can't say because it never stayed on my computer  long enough to need rebooting, let alone needing to entersafe mode!
On a lighter note I have a little silver frisbee if anyone wants it for target practice or whatever, as long as you don't mind the dog bites and the half mutilated lettering that says, win ow 8, mi ros t, on it!

• Upvote 1

If MS made cars:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to
buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason,
and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause
your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would
have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought
"Car95" or "CarNT." But then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable,
five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run
on five per cent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be
replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out
and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the
door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of
Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they
neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option
would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or
more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the
Justice Department.

12. Everytime GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn
how to drive all over again because none of the controls would
operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.

I've seen this and different variants around the web! I'm wondering though did you change Sun to Mac, (as in some versions)  because you are a Mac user? :cool: just curious.

At any rate there would be some good things about Microsoft making cars,

1) It would bring back out of necessity, shade tree mecahnics, since 'factory' approved mecahnics from MS would be incompetent!
Which in turn would,

2) Return us to the days when cars were not too complicated for anyone to work on.

3) And, it would ensure that more 'parts' were on the market since the average car would be much older and in dire need of parts!

Of course the bad far outweighs the good, so lets all be grateful it has not happened! :thumbsup:

The only thing I do with Mac's is fix them when they break. Aside from that, Mac O/S won't run my games, so, I have no use for it. :D

Worked with Sun Spark 2 and 10 workstations decade or so ago. Those things never broke. (which is one of the reasons we used them.....) When Borders migrated to Windows Server, they didn't need them any more..... and I got a lot busier. (I used to do hardware support for Borders/Waldenbooks stores. That was FUN. Just didn't pay worth squat.)

Well at least you can fix them, before I had Hermann built I was going to have my backup ( then my main) pc upgraded to the same hexacore  processor. Siegfried has a quadcore variant of the same i7 extreme as Herman, but the shop over here in G-Town wouldn't touch it. Pretty sure they could not spell Intel if you spotted them the I and the L. :D