DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Call me Ishmael...

Cybernikes

Budgie's new name!  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What should we rename 'Isabel' ?

• Friedrich
    • Magellan
    • Isadore
    • Henry
    • Alfonso
    • Pavarotti
    • Placido
    • Caruso
    • Other

Call me Ishael,....or not.
Okay so we bought our first two Budgies (parakeets) about two years ago from the local pet store.

The brilliant and obviously quite knowledgeable sales staff assured us we had a male and female couple. This was important to me because I knew  that these birds have about a ten year life span in captivity and raising their offspring would help ease the pain of their passing for my wife when the time came.

We named them Ferdinand and Isabella (yeah, we are weird that way.) and brought them home to live in our 1860's restored home, where they have plenty of light and attention.  We bought them a little golden palace sized cage, a zillion toys and an entire barn full of treats, pellets, spray and seeds, while generally spoiling them at every turn. Life was good.

However one thing bothered us. Not only were they not mating they did not really seem all that cozy with one another. Yes they get along and all, but not like budgie couples are supposed to be together. So finally, after two years of our birds not mating and therefore not having  baby budgies we decided to take a closer look at our feathered friends.

After much research we have now determined that we in fact have two male budgies. Thank you o' wizened pet store staff! Yes in fact we went back to the photos I took when I first brought them home and there they are, Ferdinand on the right and 'Isabella' on the left, plainly not being a female and looking at us if he can't figure out why he could not have a proper boy's name.

So there it is, our stupidity laid bare for all the world to see. I realize that your first instinct will be to exit this thread immediately, laughing hysterically at our ignorance but I implore you to wait.

Yes my friends, for 'Isabella' needs your help. He needs a new name. A good, strong, masculine name that will allow him to hold his feathered  head up high in budgie society.

Please help, your suggestions just might save the self- esteem of a slightly confused and currently nameless parakeet.

Please leave your suggestions here, thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203541372365399&set=a.4289719731688.251656.1547321230&type=1&theater

Ha, well he is named after a different Ferdinand, but clever nonetheless!

So we so far have;

1)Friedrich, thank you donnato ! :clap:
and,
2) Magellan, thank you DarkRider ! :clap:
and,
3) Isadore, thank you Bess!  :thumbup:
Anyone else, please post here.
Two more,
4) Henry, thank you HeyYou :woohoo:
and,
5) Alfonso, thank you HeyYou :woohoo:
and,
6) Pavarotti, thank you Arion! :fun:

and,
7) Placido,  thank you Arion! :fun:
and,
8) Caruso, thank you Tamira! :jellytime:

(Or would the last two be, Hey, you, thank you?! :wacko: )

9) (add favorite male tenor name here) suggestion by grond's dog! :D

We'll  vote at the end of the week. :dance:

How about Isidore?  Good, strong name with a fine old history.  (Actually, I've run across several men whose given names are Isidore Ferdinand, or vice versa.)   And if you've been calling him Izzy or Isy already, he'll feel right at home.  Isidoro, if you want to keep the Spanish flavour.

Another thought:  since he needs to drop the "bella" connotation, maybe you could flatter his new-found masculinity by calling him Bello.  

• Upvote 1

Ha, funny! If he were Ferdinand's son I'd have to call him Ferry, which I think he might not appreciate! Anyway different Ferdinand, they were named after the King and Queen of Spain, circa 1492, yeah, don't ask!

Never apologize for being silly, the world takes itself far too seriously as it is! :thumbsup:

How about Isidore?  Good, strong name with a fine old history.  (Actually, I've run across several men whose given names are Isidore Ferdinand, or vice versa.)   And if you've been calling him Izzy or Isy already, he'll feel right at home.  Isidoro, if you want to keep the Spanish flavour.

Another thought:  since he needs to drop the "bella" connotation, maybe you could flatter his new-found masculinity by calling him Bello.  

Alright, I'll add Isadore, that's a solid choice thank you very much! :good:

Well you had a pair with a theme to their names Ferdinand and Isabella, and Isabella turns out to be male, breaks the theme. Instead of keeping Ferdinand as named after a spainish king, what I was suggesting is a new theme. For it to work though you have to stop thinking as Ferdinand as still being half of the old theme XD

We had some keets as kids, Floyd and Sally. Until Floyd laid an egg, then they were Sal and Flo :rofl:

:lmao: Not sandwiches, R&B! Every morning you could greet the fellas with an a capella version of "Soul Man" as you feed them. Or if they're chirping for your attentions you could belt out "Hold On, I'm Coming" and kind of Motown shuffle up to their cage. :)

You have my personal guarantee that the confusion would slip away quickly, or at least transfer to your antics, and soon they'd be dancing just like their namesakes used to do. :dance:

Okay, I'll buy that! :salute:

They already get blasted with my perpetually off key, disturbingly loud, bass-baritone, mutilated renditions of opera classics, which I routinely regale all household  members with on my semi-hourly,  foraging trips to the refrigerator!

They in fact often screech in unison back at me, which is either their attempt to provide back up, or else it's Parakeet for "Shut the heck up!"
As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it's the latter considering the amount of musical talent around here!  That would include both 'visiting' artists (from their colleges) Joel, electric and acoustic guitar, and Hannah, classical singer and piano, and 'resident' artists Jacob, singer, piano, sax, drums; and my beautiful wife Beth who plays piano and sings as sweetly as any bird!)

In fact I am the only one in the family without a shred of musical ability whatsoever! Do you know how desperate the average choir is for male voices? I left our choir and it was like, " well tooo bad it didn't work out, SEE YA!, don't call us, we'll call you, nail  the door shut behind you please!"

But the important thing is that I am loud, and not at all embarrassed  to belt out an improvisational tune at the drop of a hat! I sing to my birds, the birds outside, the squirrels I throw bread to, the Chipmunk I leave almonds for, and anyone that is unlucky enough to be standing anywhere near me while I ransack the panty!

So maybe, just maybe we could change Ferdinand to Fernando (after Fernando Varela)and then we can name  'Isabella' to (add favorite male tenor name here)?

I think I'll add 'favorite male tenor name here' suggestion under your name grond!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

But we are already on a first name basis! :cool: Still, can't go wrong with the classics!

Here, it's 'Mighty Munk' with his almonds in my backyard a.k.a. 'The land of a thousand munks!' He doesn't mind my singing as long as I bring him almonds!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201012858594135&set=a.4289719731688.251656.1547321230&type=3&theater

Well that is Mighty Munk, he has moved to greener pastures anyway. But Mongo Munk, my new pal, well  I don't think your dogs would stand a chance.

I know, any normal person might think so, but many have tried and gotten nowhere. Neighborhood dogs trained in the dreaded canine arts have only come away dazed and confused.  Nearby cats, have hunted him to no avail, their  deadly ninja-like feline arts failing them at every turn. Truly his 'Munk-Fu' is beyond their understanding!

"Looked for he can not be seen, listened for he can not be heard", he is Mongo, trained at the famed 'Shaolin' Munk academy, he walks the path of enlightenment in search of the perfect almond!
Tread lightly around him, for he holds all almonds sacred and will fight to the death to protect his stash!

• Upvote 1

:lmao::bow:

I'm with Arion here - Placido or Luciano for the 'new' guy.  :)

And this was overheard at the secret munk HQ:

Listen and understand. That WonderDog is out there. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead.

WonderDog.gif

• Upvote 2