DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Looking for some help with 2 scripts

Ellderon

Heya all.

For about two weeks now I've embarked o na quest to make a nicel little mod - adding a player mansion, a keep with a few NPC's and a few other minor things.

It is progressing well, but now that the Mannor interior is almost done, I'm looking to add two functions to it. Alas, I suck at scripting.

the thing I want to add:

1) Dynamic internal lighting depending on time of day. It always bugged me that the interior is always lit the same regrless if it's noon or midnight. I want to change that.

The question is - what is hte best way to go about it? Enable/disable specific light source?

2) Allocating rooms to followers. The mansion has has 9 extra room with a dozen or so beds. It would be nice to be able to assign my followers rooms.  The question is again - how?

The most obvious solution to me seem to tie a script to each bed that when interacted allows you to assign the room/bed to one of the followers (and you'll probably have multiple followers)

But again, paprus is new to me, so I'm still lost.

Beds are easy to assign using the CK, right click on an instance and assign ownership.

The scripting part, I'm still new to Skyrim's scripting language so I can't help you there, but don't worry there are plenty of experts here, you've come to the right place.
There is a scripting school here as well as one at the CK official site.

Welcome to the Alliance! :biggrin: here's a few cookies while you peruse the font of information here! :cookie4u: :cookie4u: :cookie4u:

Here is a quick tutorial from the Creation Kit Wiki!

http://www.creationkit.com/Light_Switch

Couple this, with some of the video tutorials on youtube, and you should be able to get it going. If you have no experience with papyrus, I suggest following along with WillieSea's scripting classes here on TESA!

Goodluck! Let us know if you get hung up.... theres alot of brain power on this sight! Somebody will have an answer!

• Upvote 1

Dynamic internal lighting is actually quite simple my friend.

1) Select your window nif in the render window, open the edit window for that object. (The only windows this will not work for from what I can see are Solitude Windows and windows that come from modders resources.)

2) Go to emittance.

3) Select an appropriate weather/area type (High Hrothgar is usually best for any general area.) From the external drop down menu.

4) Do the same with any bulb that is an exterior light source.

5) Refresh the render window by hitting f5, once that is done loading, go up to the time of day bar to the upper right and use that to see the dramatic changes the light sources have during times of day.

7) For maximum effect this can be done on the outside too, except you want to use internal light source not external.

The next step is to download the lighting resource "Just in Time Lighting," what this is, is an enable/disable script which can do lights and light sources. It is also useful if you have a ton of lights in your home and want to optimize them to minimize the light flickering bug. Follow the instructions on his webpage.

As to the answer to your other question, there is already "My Home is Your Home" mod which does the same thing you want to do. You can assign beds to specified followers with this mod. There is also a way to do this via factions but the details slip my mind at the moment.

Edited by SpectralDragon
  • Upvote 1

Wow...fast and helpful responses. You guys weren't kidding when you said there was a lot of brainpower here. Thanks.

Here, let me show you a short preview of what I have. Made a short video of the mannor.

11x7 tiles, basement and 2 floors. Still not done, I have a furniture, clutter, adjustments, light and all kinds of details to add or tweak.

The only problem is that there is no suitable external model for me to use. So I'm putting together my own mesh. I might need help converting it once I'm done.

I have that and a small Keep (which will house a Knightly order) to place next to each other somewhere in Tamriel.

So, anyone got a good location in mind?

Looking around I found one decent location near Ivarsted (that small village at the base of the mountain with High Hrotgar). I still haven't messed with external areas.

And before I forget, some other questiosn:

- during the making of the mod, I loaded up Riverhelm to take a look at home some things are done there. I haven't copied or changed anything there. Just loaded a few cells to see which tiles and pieces were used. Now when I load my mod, Riverhelm is in the masters list. Works normally without Riverhelm loaded. Any way to remove it?

- the dissapearing floor in the basement in the video might be due to occlusion plane I placed between floors. IIRC, occlusion planes work by telling the game engine to not render anything behind the place, if the player can't see the plane..right?

- do you think the wooden railing on the top floor works better than the stone one?

REALLY NICE WORK.

From an architectural perspective, the consistent ceiling height throughout makes it seem a bit like an office building or budget motel.

You've created some palatial areas here. Consider making the ceiling higher and more interesting in focal areas. Also an opportunity to break the rythm of all those columns.

Yes, this would cause the distance between floors to increase. This presents an opportunity for more interesting stairs. Maybe spiral, or winding around an open shaft.

Just a suggestion to help the spaces you've designed have the impact they deserve.

Oh...bummer.

I am using Solitude windows. and was planing on maybe adding a custom or two...Poop!

If you get this new window mod here they will support emmittance per my instructions above:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54302/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D54302&pUp=1 Just let your downloaders know that the mod is made to work with this window mod.

Now, I have a lot of things to say but before I say them you are doing an excellent job so far, as you seem to be doing more of a guild hall I will base my comments on that.

Your interior is too bright imo. You need to right click the cell in the cell window and hit edit and adjust the lighting. If you need help with that I can provide instruction, as there are no guides on how to adjust the settings in this window from what I can see. In the end what you are going for is something like this:

w5e5.jpg

See how it is lit by the bulbs? You want your lighting to be lit mostly by light sources, and you want desaturated lighting bulbs as normal bulbs are too harsh. That bulb lighting the area by the window in this pic is another example of what can use emmittance data btw, so it changes based on time of day.

Occlusion planes are mostly used outdoors, you can fix the floor problem by getting rid of them or making them smaller and using this method instead: http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Optimization You can also use this to change the lighting on a per-room basis if you wish.

To add some more interest I would suggest using some shadow lights in fireplaces and points of interest. Note that you can only use 3 shadow lights per cell.

Your forge area is lacking a way to divert smoke and fumes out of the house based on what I am seeing. (Immersion thing.)

Need beds for your guildies, and they need to follow a daily schedule. If you don't know how to do this I can walk you through it.

There are other things you can do but I will leave it at that for now.

Thanks again. The NPC's are placed there jsut for testing. Only hte 3 maids will be in the house, the rest are going into the Keep. I cna manage giving them their daily routines.

Now, the STONE windows in solitude work with emittance data. so that is great. The WOODEN ones on the top floor unfortunately don't. I'm using the Sexy Solitude textur pack b.t.w.

That said, light bulbs and some other effects (beams of light, dust beams) set to some light FX settings also seem to work, so maybe I can fake the upper floor with this.

I did place one smoke stack opning above the smithy, but I should probably put one above the smelter too. Yah, and make it bigger.

Now, the problem i have is that it seems my mod frakked a few thing up. Namely, during hte process of making it I opened the Dragonsreach, Breezhome and Blue Palace cells to look at what tiles they used and stuff like that. In a few cases I coped a few tiles over.

Now i find out that with my mod active, a few tiles are MISSING in those cells (namely 1 roof tile in both cells). Now I'm pretty damn sure I never deleted or cut anything, but I do recall COPYING those specific tiles.

I even went into the details pane of my mod .esp and prceeded to remvoe any CELL entry that wasn't my own cell.

So why are they missing?

How utterly have I freakked up?

Any good way to clean my mod and try to remove those unfortunate edits?

ALSO: for editing extermal areas - any advice? I think I found a suitable location (altough if anoen has suggestion I'm all areas. Need a nice and big piece of land), but I havn't started editing anything yet.

Obviously I will have to delete trees, adjust the land and chance the walkmesh..and this being an external cell I don't want to frak it up.

HM..can I moderator move this to a more general area of hte forums. This has gone beyond scripting.

Also, the window emmitance - that is determined by the texture, not the mesh? Eitehr way, I could possibly edit either to enable emission on wooden windows. Looking into it now.

HM..can I moderator move this to a more general area of hte forums. This has gone beyond scripting.

Also, the window emmitance - that is determined by the texture, not the mesh? Eitehr way, I could possibly edit either to enable emission on wooden windows. Looking into it now.

This is why I suggested the window retexture I linked you to, they fix the textures so that all windows support emmitance. Either way the way to do it is the same in the creation kit and I outlined that above.

Are you using TESVEdit? that will likely fix the problem with stuff not showing up (A problem I encountered in my mod as well.)

I can walk you through editing external stuff too but time is small right now for me so I promise to get to that in a later post :) Have you checked out the classes here on TESA? lots of good info there.

I'm reading what I can manage. Progress has slowed down a bit for multiple reasons.

Regarding the internal lighting. Basing it onl on external light sources is good at night, but not during the day. Ambient light exists due to surfaces reflecting light - something that the engine doesn't do.

Dunno if it's possible to have changing ambient light levels? That way I can keep it minimal during the day and disable it during the night.

Also thinking of having several lamps that are off during the day, but turn on during the night.

ATM I have been attpempting to add a few decorative items. A few paintings. I download a painting mod and re-named a few paintings from it. Now I want to add my own image to it (just changing the texture), but editing the .nif with Nifskope puts out a million errors. :(

I can go the route of re-writing the exiting images, but that would make my mod incompatible.

Was also experimenting with rooms, but it was a fiasco. Dropping it for now and finishing the building.

I have the feelign that any model making/editing is going to be a pain in the ass (And I NEED a new external building model...at least making it not a big problem)

Actually the game engine does allow reflection of light but only on ice and only through a mod.

Let me give you an example of what emmitance does both on a bulb and on a window. I will use screenshots of my own house mod for this. The following is during the day, you can see the time in the plugin to the upper left, and note that there are bulbs up there to highlight the particle effects as well as realistically light that windowed area:

gallery_34770_434_157151.png

Next is the exact same spot, but a different time of day (Evening):

gallery_34770_434_1343220.png

Lastly, nighttime:

gallery_34770_434_455061.png

So, that is what the emmitance tab allows you to do. Notice this works with both bulbs and windows? That is what I meant earlier. Notice how much darker it seems up in the vaulted ceiling at night. This is the best you can do with the limitations of the creation kit.

As for turning on and off things like light sources and bulbs, you should try Just in Time Lighting. It does exactly that.

More later, gotta get back to work.

Edited by SpectralDragon
  • Upvote 1

Well bloody, fukken hell.

I just found out that when I want to do my own little farm cell, I duplicated Holyfrost farm. Except I apprently edited the original insted of the copy.

Deleting that entire cell node in TESEdit should fix that, right?

And the Riverhelm master file requirement? TESEdit cannot remove it. Frak. How the hell do I fix that?

Yarr...

Mage a few custom magic lights and effect that I want to be on ONLY during the night.

Would UnGameUpdateTime combines with Disable and Enable work?

And how do I get the current game time?

Ha. Finally was able to Download JIT (didn't work earlier, some database problem). Now I'll look intothat code and hopefully find some answers.

Well bloody, fukken hell.

1) I just found out that when I want to do my own little farm cell, I duplicated Holyfrost farm. Except I apprently edited the original insted of the copy.

Deleting that entire cell node in TESEdit should fix that, right?

2) And the Riverhelm master file requirement? TESEdit cannot remove it. Frak. How the hell do I fix that?

1) Correct

2) It can, but you have to remove everything related to that mod from your mod first, this means every single instance of what your mod does and what it refferences. When you do right click your mod ->Clean masters.

As for your post after that..... JITL can do more than bulbs actually it can enable/disable any mesh in the game, based on time of day in game. Follow the link to his website and he will explain how to set it up.

Edited by SpectralDragon

Hm...but I don't have anythig from Riverhelm.

I did copy a few pieces of architecture, but all are standard Skyrim pieces. Strange, I could have sword I did click "Clean Masters".

Well, I'm more intrested in a scrip that I can just attach to a light source, as I really liek to keep things as simple. Minimal complexity.

Speaking of which, the test release of my mod is postponed due to the fact that there is no way to acess the mannor yet (other than COC command)...because I cannot decide where to put it externally.

Skyrim is big..but also small. A very crowded place.

And I have a keep to place (which itself will take up at least 2 cells) and the mannor (which is 11x7 tiles) close to eachother, meaning I'll have to edit a lot of external cells. And I'm kinda hesistant. Not to metnion I'm having trouble finding a location. I'm shooting for somewhere around Ivarstead ATM.

Oh, once I finish my external mannor model, I may need help with actually converting it. I have 3D Max and Blender, but both are never versions :(

I guess I could...but wouldn't that use a lot of parts?

Well, I'll try. Still have to find a suitable location, otherwise, I'll have to be re-doing a dozen external cells to make enough room.

Curretnly makign the slavers cave. Have to look into how to put an actor into wall chains or have them start with an animation. Will dig around the vanila levels, the answer has got to be there.