DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

After uninstalling RST all my saved games are bad

chambcra

I completed everything except the "Master and Apprentice" and I had to use the console to complete "There Came a Dark Rider" because a few of the scrolls were missing (I used the CS to find the locations). The message about the shop at Cloud Ruller Temple never arrived but that's okay. After removing RST all my saves are bad. I went way back, several hundred. The only other mod I had going that might cause a problem was Integration Integrated The Stranded Light but it removes okay.

Any ideas or tricks I could try?

Did you do the clean save? If not, reinstall RST, make sure that it is running from your last saved game that you played RST on. Then uninstall it, start the game and save your game. You will have to play from that saved game on and it should be alright. All your previous saved games that has RST installed are crashing because you are missing a master file from RST. If you've gone back to saves prior to RST and it is still crashing then there is another mod that is causing the corrupt save.

Thanks for the reply. Refresh my memory, what exactly is a clean save?

If not, reinstall RST, make sure that it is running from your last saved game that you played RST on. Then uninstall it, start the game and save your game.

That's the problem. After uninstalling RST all my saved games crash immediately, going way way back, until I get to a point before RST and then I'm good. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

All your previous saved games that has RST installed are crashing because you are missing a master file from RST.

RST has an ESP and 3 BSA's. What could this master file be? Also, I thought that's what the message "This saved game requires missing content, load anyway?" was all about. That has always worked fine for me for at least a dozen quest mods I've played and uninstalled.

I've tried re-installing RST, starting my last save, go to a safe interior cell (testinghall), making a new save there, un-install RST, try that new last save and no go. I could definitly be doing something wrong or did something wrong along the way but somehow I've managed to play and successfully uninstall quite a few quest mods.

Thanks

Your bottom paragraph about going to a safe cell is the procedure for making a clean save.......  I'm not sure what the issue is if you can go back to saves before RST was installed and be okay. Apparently something is being left behind in your saves. Only other suggestion I have at this point is if you are using Wyre Bash you can look at your saved games and see if there are any missing masters . Otherwise some one with more knowledge of RST's files would probably be a better resource.

When you attempted to make a clean save did you make sure to remove anything related to RST from your inventory?

What you're reporting is quite abnormal behavior for RST, despite it's size, it just doesn't have the sort of complex scripting that would require special unloading. It should be enough to just remove it, load, and save. :shrug:

I did not make sure to remove everything from RST from my inventory. I thought the uninstall would do that for me. I started RST while I was working on The Stranded Light because it's a pain with all the waiting time leaving you with nothing to do and between the two, all the keys, notes, letters, scrolls, etc. that never go away, I can't keep track of what is what. Are you saying that is a requirement? I've never done that in the past. I know I had dozens of those items from The Stranded Light and it uninstalls okay. When I finish the short quest mod I'm doing now I could go back and try that if I can figure it out. Are you saying just my personal inventory because some of that stuff is in my companion Vilja's inventory. All the zero value items that add up are an organizational problem for me. I always worry if I get rid of something I'll need it later.

I always sell anything of value before uninstalling a mod and count on the uninstall getting rid of the worthless stuff. It's too much for me to keep track of.

Before I had said that some silent mp3's were missing for just the rumors dialog. When I was uninstalling I found out I had made a typo when I registered the sounds.bsa in my ini. So, that probably explains that except it's weird that 95% of the diaglog seemed fine.

Thanks for the replys. At worst all I will lose is all the money I made and the skills I advanced. A few months playing time but no big deal. I'm doing this for the fun of it anyway. Good thing I keep a long history of saves.

I'm not sure what's required to clean the save or causing your issue, as I said this is not a problem that occurs with RST normally.

But, you mentioned consoling duplicates of scripted quest items. If those duplicates or something similar are still in your inventory when you go to the testing hall, that save would not be clean. :shrug:

That's a good point. I would have never thought of that. I did end up with two copies of one of those lost scrolls which could explain the problem at my last save but wouldn't explain the same problem when I went back a couple hundred saves. That's good information to know though and gives me something good to work with. I bet you're right and my screwing around with the console is the root of the problem. I may have done something earlier that I don't remember.

Thanks a lot. I'll post back if I have any luck.

Edited by chambcra

Oh well. I tried removing all questionable inventory, even everything Vilja had, in the testinghall and disabled it, and no go. It turned that all the lost scroll items had been removed by the game when I advanced the There Came a Dark Rider quest.

Then I went all the way back to the very first game I saved after installing RST and with RST uninstalled that game crashes. My normal practice is to make a save immediately after installing a new mod. It just goes to show you can't be too prudent with your saving and backup strategy. This is just too weird to even think about any further.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

My procedure for uninstalling a large mod includes first:

running any restore disabled references and other stuff provided with the mod

Removing all mod items including quest items from inventory.

Removing all mod spells from the player (including abilities, which, even with spell delete mods, require looking the base ID in the CS)

Clearing any mod locations out of mark and recall type data, and making sure that my current world map is not showing a mod world

using the console complete quest command on any still running mod quests

going to a location with no mod objects (the easiest way to make sure is an interior cell from another mod)

Edited by LeftyScaevola