DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

How to export different havok materials

jamochawoke

Hello again!

I'm currently working on some models that have multiple havok collision materials.

I've created the collision meshes and assigned them havok properties using the string method that works just fine for single collision materials. But when I assign multiple different materials to different collision meshes and export my model I end up getting a single havok collision mesh with just 1 material.

For example: I have a static model with a steel rung at the top and a cloth hanging from it. I want to make the steel rung HAV_MAT_METAL and the cloth HAV_MAT_CLOTH but when I export both collision meshes become one and with the same property of HAV_MAT_METAL.

Another example: I have a spiral staircase. The steps need to be HAV_MAT_WOOD, the rungs HAV_MAT_METAL, and the column in the center HAV_MAT_STONE. When I go to export all three collision meshes become one bhkCollisionObject with the property of HAV_MAT_STONE.

I've tried exporting by clicking the "Do Not Use Blender Collision Properties" button selected and it still gives the exact same result: all collision meshes are joined as one and given the same property.

How do I go about fixing this?

I've also tried exporting each part of the mesh separately and trying to copy the branches of the different nif files into a main nif file in nifskope but when I copy the bhkCollisionObject branch and the associated objects they won't nest into Scene Root 0. Even after I manually go into the data blocks and try to make it so, nothing.

Hmm how did you set that up? I tried it and got the exact same result.

What I did was separate my mesh into the different objects. Then for each object I duplicated it and turned it into a collision mesh (bounds wire triangle + string with the correct hav_mat). Then I selected all the original meshes and rejoined them into one object again, but leaving out the newly created collision meshes.

When I export with "Use bhkListShape" button selected I still get all of the collision meshes joined back into one bhkCollisionObject with the property of HAV_MAT_WOOD this time.

Edited by jamochawoke

I tried it again messing around with some stuff and it created different ninodes for each different collision mesh and had them all on different blocks, but joined two materials together (the stone and wood parts) and made it all wood.

I'm just scratching my head at this point. I have a save of before I created any collision meshes so I might just back up to that and try again.

Went back to the model before I made collision shapes. Made new ones. Set up all the collision for each one of the three (metal for rungs, wood for steps, stone for column). When I exported I again got two ninodes, one with the column collision by itself with HAV_MAT_STONE and another with the rungs and steps collision bunched together with HAV_MAT_METAL. I deselected "Use bhkListShape" and got the same exact result when I exported again.

At this point I'm willing to put up a .blend or .nif file if anyone wants to have a go at looking at it.

I didn't think Oblivion supported multiple collisions materials?

From what I remember, the collision mesh needs to be joined as one piece, therefor can only have one material.

I suppose a work around could be to export each mesh individually, then copy/paste them into your main mesh, under a bhkListShape as IS mentioned above.

Well after about a dozen tries to get the thing to work I realized that this was seriously eating into my development time. So I just went ahead and separated each piece of the mesh and corresponding collision meshes and exported them that way. I had to take quite a bit of time to get everything to align properly in the CS, but at least it is working now... what a pain!

FYI: the one .nif file I had where it had multiple ninodes and different collision meshes attached to it worked in-game, but it kept randomly joining meshes and separating others, and I had no clue at all how to get it to stop doing that... so I'd end up with a wood piece that sounded like metal, or a stone piece that sounded like wood randomly.

I am glad I went ahead and did it the hard way, at least I know everything works.