DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

help with bows, uv maps, and blender.

delta19

so instead of spamming insanity's thread more i thought i would get a feel for how helpful the rest of the community is.

now my problem is that when ever i follow the guide my bows uv either gets lost in the end or all the vertices and faces get smushed in to the top left corner.

and this happens no matter how i make my bow.

• make bow in 2.49b and mark seams
  • make bow in 2.7 mark seams then import (both obj and 3ds) to 2.49, save as blend file and follow guide
  • same as last but remark seams then save
  • or just import a 2.7 obj in to 2.49 and follow guide.

anyone know why i keep losing my uv and how to fix it?

I think it's safe to say your issue has nothing to do with Insanity's wonderful tutorial anyway. :) His tutorial presumes you've created your bow long before his steps come in.

You would UV map your object the same way you would UV map any other object. Make sure you have assigned a material to each object piece, and a texture. Mark your seams as normal, switch to the UV editing view and unwrap it. Do this for each piece until you have a fully UV mapped bow. You can change your viewport from solid to textured so that you can see if it's is mapped correctly the way you want it. I would suggest saving as a .blend file at this point, then continue along with Insanity's tutorial.

I would also suggest to stick with just 2.49b and not to switch from higher versions of Blender to the lower version, as some information may not be backwards compatible.

• Upvote 1

this is just after export

6eba8a3bf1.png

copied in to the vanilla nif

c1ed89049e.png

and all done ready for use in game

044f95afc2.png

and like i said no matter what i do it comes out like this

i make everything in 2.49

nope

make my mesh in 2.7 and import as obj, resize, save in 2.49, open then follow tutorial

nope

and when im following the tutorial as you can see i dont get a BSshaderPPlightingproperty block.

Edited by delta19

Alright, that was informative. There is something definitely wrong with your export. Along with missing the PPLightingShader, when you show the NiTriStripsData I can also tell it's missing some data.

There's no BS Num UV Sets (it should = 4097, yours = 0), plus there are no Tangents or Bitangents. These hold the UV information. I have no idea what's causing it. What version of Blender Nifscripts are you using?

If you could also upload (or PM me) your .blend file, from just before it's ready to export, I can take a closer look and test it myself.

• Upvote 1

Alright, that was informative. There is something definitely wrong with your export. Along with missing the PPLightingShader, when you show the NiTriStripsData I can also tell it's missing some data.

There's no BS Num UV Sets (it should = 4097, yours = 0), plus there are no Tangents or Bitangents. These hold the UV information. I have no idea what's causing it. What version of Blender Nifscripts are you using?

If you could also upload (or PM me) your .blend file, from just before it's ready to export, I can take a closer look and test it myself.

blender 2.49, nif scrips 2.5.08 and 2.5.09, pyffi 2.1.11, and nifskope 1.1.1. pm inbound

ok i uninstalled everything, all blenders, scripts, everything related to mod making for skyrim(but not the CK),shutdown and rebuilt.

i make a folder on my desktop named "design and file programs" and a folder in there named "blender2.49" and installed blender inside it.

i then installed python 2.6.6 and let it go where every it wanted.

i then installed pyffi 2.1.8

i then installed nifskope 1.1.1

i then tried to install nifscripts 2.5.8 but couldnt because pyffi was out of date.

i then updateded to pyffi 2.1.9 and installed nifscripts

i then restarted

next i made a basic recurve bow in blender 2.49b and once done i imported an ebonybow nif in to blender on layer 2.

moved ebony over to my bow

copied weight and deleted ebony once done

moved bones over to my bow armatures, dont make groups

clicked bow, tab, make real, tab, named it to "BowMesh:0" in both boxes

clicked bow then bones, file, export, fallout unclick the one thing the tutorial tells you to.

nope un-uniform scale and rotation work around by ctrl-a

with bones and bow still highlighted ctrl-a'ed, clicked scale and rotation to objdata.

then exported with same options as tutorial

this time in nifskope there was only three things in the nitristrips node. the skininstance, tristripsdata, and a stencilproperty

deleted the stencil thing and followed the rest of the tutorial.

ppshaderlighting and everything else was still missing. there where no uvs.

just tried on the other computer. installed all the files in the default places. made everything new from scratch all that good stuff.

still no go and that computer has never had blender on it or any of the other files you need.

the only thing i can think of is one of the files that you need that insanity linked in his tutorial is bugged or he forgot one little thing that makes or breaks the whole file.

that or a mesh error on my part.

Edited by delta19

No, the error is your workflow in Blender. You have not assigned your bow a texture. Even if it's just a temporary texture Blender needs this link to attach the UV to.

gallery_1482_4_31600.jpg

this is why i hate 2.49

i make non-stop mesh errors.

i've never done this before so, is it just add new texture, pick clouds, and im done? or is there more to it?

texture type image

add 512x512 solid black image i made in paint

export

9a88ee3b73.png

if this is right or now idk but i have a uv map.

now you can have some cookies.

Edited by delta19

Good work. :)  I assumed you changed your UV at some point? It doesn't look like it did in Blender....

oh that was with a new mesh. started over when i heard about the uvs needing textures

heres what im doing now

08c3f63235.png

ea96701e05.png

not the best looking thing in the world but hey only been modding since march of this year. but at least it looks better then in morrowind.

• Upvote 1

It looks like a good start, and you deserve a cookie for it! Looking forward to seeing it finished. :)

your not the only one. just have to figure out where to put it because i dont want it to be craft-able. thinking mehrunes shrine